Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mountains

2008 Tiffin Open Road 32BA.
Workhorse / Allison
Getting ready for our first big trip. Driving from Nashport,Oh to Grand Junction, Co. Having never driven a motorhome in the mountains any advice and information would be greatly appreciated. Planning on taking I 70 straight through. Is 70 the best way to get there? Or would I 80 be better?
Howie1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You will have two major passes on I-70 one at Eisenhower tunnel and vail pass. Both easily doable but take very slow especially on the very long down hill from the Eisenhower tunnel to Frisco. Use a lower gear and your air brake when needed. It towing you may want to unhook your first time. We have done this pass dozens of times with no problems.

Vail pass is an easier climb and down hill as well.

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #3

Stay in the right lane up and down and as noted watch the speed going down

It is usually best to stay with the trucks and not pass

Many burn up their brakes if they ride them

Some damage and one lane when we traveled through recently due to rock slides

We have traveled 70 since it opened with various rigs over the years

Beautiful drive for the Co pilot
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have driven that route in our '06 Itasca with a Workhorse/Allison setup. As noted, stay in the right lane, gear down out of overdrive and don't expect to go over 25-30 mph. On the way down, gear down further by tapping the brake with the transmission retarder turned on if it's equipped with it since you don't have air brakes or an exhaust brake. Our Allison had a switch on the dash to turn it on and off. Keep your speed down to the same 25-30mph and if it starts building up, use stab braking where you brake hard for a few seconds to slow down then get off the brakes. Do not ride them or they will overheat.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #5

CO has virtually no truck stops. You want to get full on fuel before you get anywhere near the climb not the mountains (you don’t want to be trying to get fuel in the mountains). Though you can’t see it from the road, the rest areas on the west side of the passes are actually quite accessible, and beautiful. Not so much on the east side.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
CO has virtually no truck stops. You want to get full on fuel before you get anywhere near the climb not the mountains (you don’t want to be trying to get fuel in the mountains). Though you can’t see it from the road, the rest areas on the west side of the passes are actually quite accessible, and beautiful. Not so much on the east side.

Actually there is a truck stop just west of Idaho Springs on 70. Stopped there a few times.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #7

Downshift and use your flashers when you drop to 35. Enjoy the ride and simply be courteous and follow the truckers.

As mentioned, do NOT ride your brakes, shift to a lower gear and use the compression brake. If you have to use your brakes, apply them HARD to slow and then release them -they have to cool off.

I often use my cruise control going up hill and let the tranny figure out what gear to be in. Then, I'll select that gear or one higher on the way down depending on the slope - I'm in no hurry, it's not a race.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
do you have a grade brake? if leave it on down shift and 5 seconds on the brake 10 off
Old 06-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1949 View Post
Workhorse / Allison
Getting ready for our first big trip. Driving from Nashport,Oh to Grand Junction, Co. Having never driven a motorhome in the mountains any advice and information would be greatly appreciated. Planning on taking I 70 straight through. Is 70 the best way to get there? Or would I 80 be better?
First off the up is no problem. Just be smart and slow on the way down, your rig is fine on any Interstate ant IMHO I-70 is not only easy but a Beautiful drive, so I’d suggest it through Colorado.

Now as to getting through the fly over states - look to getting to Hannibal, MO. And RT 36 easier drive - fewer trucks / traffic and not nearly as boring as the I-70 in the center of the country, IMHO.

Just made the drive last week through MO before jumping up into Nebraska - oh how I love that road - would have taken it on to Denver but we’re headed to The Tetons.

Get comfortable with using your transmission as a brake going down hill and you should be fine.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #10

West of Denver is the infamous Ike Gauntlet. The Eisenhower tunnel is at the top-- over 11,000 feet elevation-- so that should give you some idea. I always try to avoid passes like that as they're tough on the equipment, but you don't have much choice here unless you want to go way out of your way.

I'd feel much better in a diesel with engine braking, but just follow the advice given earlier and go easy on you brakes. Would also be a good idea to flush the brake fluid with new before you leave home to make sure there's no moisture in the system.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The trick to any decent is to start out at the top already going slow and geared down. Much harder down shift once rolling down the mountain.

Brake hard when necessary then get off the brakes to allow them to cool.

Pull over if possible to allow for some cool down of the brakes or power train but keep the engine running at idle so it and the transmission don't cook with residual heat.

And above all take your time and enjoy the view.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
CO has virtually no truck stops.
This is generally good advice. However, there is a new truck stop at silt, mp 97. I'm at the KOA next store. Their sign says diesel is $2.18. And the roadside peaches are fantastic.

I70 west through vail pass was not too bad. Going east, the highway has 5 miles or so with 4 inch grooves and deeper potholes. Very rough climb.
azSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1949 View Post
Workhorse / Allison
Avoid I-70. Pot holes, terrible road surface, crowded. Take I-80

Sorry, I was thinking I-70 through MO.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2004 rig is identical in length, powerPlant and transmission to yours. I have set 4000 RPM as the not to exceed number when going down long mountain passes regardless of the lower gear I have selected. When I approach that RPM I brake hard to reduce the revs a few hundred RPM then let it build again, and repeat the same. The speed you are comfortable with will determine the gear you select to traverse the downhill. Use those gears, don’t ride the brakes. Enjoy the ride......