Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mounted a sun screen for front windshield

Hi everyone currently on my Class A DP I only have MCD electric shade which when we stop for the night like everyone we bring it down for privacy. What I'd like to do is mount a sun screen in front of that to add an extra layer of screening from the sun like every other window in my coach has. Something during the day you could keep down yet retract the shade so you can see outside but have privacy. I'm looking for something to cut down the heat inside and I've looked at Magna Shades which look great but very expensive and where we are on the crutch of moving up to a slightly longer coach with a tag axle in the near future it's money I don't want to invest that may be short lived with no return. I've looked at adding adding Expel Prime XR or XR plus but that's not much less than Magna and not sure if it will be worth it for the front windshield. I don't want the snap-on ones because that entails too much work to put on and off on short visits. So I'm open for suggestions...
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #2

I have the MCD shades both solid for night and screen for day but the sun if coming thru the windshield is brutally hot as you know, so I added the Magna Shade It is worth every penny. Blocks out glare and is significantly better at reducing heat. The only negative is it is placed behind the windshield wipers and mine are mounted close to the center and in the off position, straight up. If yours are like they would typically be on a car, and in the off position of low horizontal then it is better. For that reason if I am only in a place for 48 hours I generally don't put the shades up but if it is longer than that they defiantly make home more comfortable and reduce A/C run cycle times Finally, I take them down before the dew falls the afternoon before we depart that way it is dry when it comes inside.
BeaverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hey, nothing wrong with being thrifty.
If you take a look at the Magna Shades you'll discover they are made from SunTex material. We found a 4x8' factory "second" on Amazon for less than $20. We cut it to fit the inside dimension of our windshields (2) and affix each side with suction cups to the top side. This works great as a daytime privacy screen and does an ok job keeping out sun glare. Obviously the advantage of the Magne Shades are they affix outside so that's beneficial for extreme heat insulation. As a $20 privacy screen it's tough to beat this hack though. Amazon has plenty of retail SunTex sources....
https://www.phifer.com/product/suntex-80-90/
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:47 AM   #4

I made my on from sun screen and industrial Velcro. It looks good to me.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	314076 I mounted on outside because it keeps the windshield from getting hot and transferring the heat to inside.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Being cheap too, I made my own. Lowe’s sells shade cloth in the garden center. Four 2” suction cups and some silicone seal to hem the cut edges is all that’s needed.
Don’t forget that at night you can see in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCE2521D-282A-4EE5-B12F-8AB963D1AB40.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	314079   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC06414E-D18C-47E8-8C17-800EBDDD20CF.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	314080  

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Being cheap too, I made my own. Lowe’s sells shade cloth in the garden center. Four 2” suction cups and some silicone seal to hem the cut edges is all that’s needed.
Don’t forget that at night you can see in.
Have you ever checked the temp inside the windshield, with and without the screen, under the exact same weather conditions?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Have you ever checked the temp inside the windshield, with and without the screen, under the exact same weather conditions?

I haven’t checked temp but at beach it was like a oven now it’s not made all the difference. I used 90 % block screen.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
US Navy Veteran

Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
External Shades are da Bomb!

These were made by local upholstery shop for $200. Agree with Rooster that they work very well on keeping coach cool but still able to see outside during the day. At night we close the interior privacy curtains.
Click image for larger version

Name:	391030D3-BBA9-4541-AF52-91ACA8F6C6C1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	314104
2009 CT Coachworks Siena 35V / W22 8.1L / Ford Flex / Blue Ox Avail / TST 507 / Scan Gauge II / Even Brake / Onan 7k / F&R Sway bars / Steering Stabilizer / F&R Trac Bar / SumoSpring / Bilstein shocks / Members: FMCA, WCMC, Good Sams, RV Life
DiverBob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #9

The shade will allow you to se out during the day but not in, you wills see right IN after dark so you still must use the privacy shade. As for as heat goes, on the outside it keeps the glass itself cooler , if it is on the inside the heat transmission is till substantial
BeaverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I had black outside shades for my Dynasty . Yes they help but the black in contact with the glass is hotter than you would think. A lighter color shade on the inside seems to work just as well.
If it’s really hot and the windshield faces into the sun I use a homemade silver bubble wrap shade on the outside. No, you can’t see out but all of the heat is reflected.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:10 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks everyone for some great ideas. My DW is looking at a few suggestions to see if she wants to tackle any of them since she has the sewing machine.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Thanks everyone for some great ideas. My DW is looking at a few suggestions to see if she wants to tackle any of them since she has the sewing machine.

I did mine with a normal sewing machine with no problems.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I did mine with a normal sewing machine with no problems.
Mesh is not too challenging to sew. A heavy home machine should work OK.
Check out Rochfordsupply.com as they have close out and 2nd mesh at bargain prices.
Sailright.com is a good source for sewing supplies for the DIYer. Just be sure to use a good UV protected thread meant for outdoor use and heavier than normal. You will likely need a special needle to handle the heavier thread.
Just experiment with scraps to get the machine set up correctly. Extra folding tables around the machine and a second set of hands will make it a lot easier to feed the material uniformly.
Sailright has many How To videos that might help.
It may make things a lot easier if you make a template first. Tyvek house wrap (or equivalents) make a good template material but a heavy (6-8mil) plastic sheet also works very well.
Straight edges will let you allow an extra 3" on each side and fold a hem twice to cover all raw cut edges. A warm iron will set the fold and make it easier to sew.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put these shade material on most of my windows including the windshield. Window Shade material

Tags
scr, wind, windshield