Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Mounting Rear View Camera on End Cap

Trying to install a new wireless rear view camera on a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star. Opened the plate covering the old camera and found that Newmar put a huge glob of caulking above the camera, it is next to impossible to remove. Can't quite tell if the existing wiring goes into the top or rear of the end cap. I'd like to tap into the old wiring since all I need is 12v, I keep the backup camera on whenever I'm driving so I can watch my six. Two ways I can do this, drill a large hole into the end cap and fish out the wiring, or go in from the rear closet and try to find the wiring from there. Has anyone upgraded their camera and how did you find the wiring?

Bob R
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

Are the wires in the "huge glob of caulking"? Could you use a heat gun / hair dryer to soften up the caulking?
I think I would try and use the existing wiring if you can. You know they work and you really don't want to have to cut them off and cap them.
IMHO
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #3

When I replaced mine on my Safari I found much the same, so used a Phillips head screw driver to poke a hole through the rubbery caulk to pass the power cable through, then sealed it up with Gorilla Glue (which I had on hand) as it expands to fill small voids.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #4

John,
I guess I could use the heat gun process even though I know it makes a heck of a mess. At least then I could tell if the wires go up or back.
Bob
Old 12-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Managed to chisel the caulking out and found out that the wiring goes up into the end cap. They didn't leave enough slack to splice the wiring so I'm just going to find switched 12v and run it up to the cap. Rather than mounting the camera on the end cap I may just install it in the void where the old camera was. Since the new one is supposed to have a 120 degree view I may have to shim it out slightly.
I'll take a couple of pix tomorrow.
Bob
Old 12-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #6

I replaced the wired camera on a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. I found that the big blob of caulk around the camera was the only thing holding the camera in place.

I'd suggest going through the back wall closet. I went through an overhead cabinet in the back wall to get to the back of the camera. When finished, I sealed up the hole with a piece of thin plywood. Since your access hole will be inside the closet, you will not have to worry about making it look nice when you seal it.

Once you get access to the back of that camera, the job will be easier. Consider going wired using the old cable once you get access to it.

Fred
Old 12-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

Did a little 'exploratory surgery' with my hole saw and managed to fish the cable up through the hole and pull some slack in it. Alas, it was all for naught. There are three wires in the cable, a red and a yellow wire and the coaxial lead. There is no voltage on the wiring which thoroughly confounded me. Checked both the wires using the ground on the running lights, no joy. Unfortunately it began to rain before I could get any pix. It is possible I blew a fuse, so I'll have to track that down. More Later.

Bob
Old 12-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobrUSMC View Post
Did a little 'exploratory surgery' with my hole saw and managed to fish the cable up through the hole and pull some slack in it. Alas, it was all for naught. There are three wires in the cable, a red and a yellow wire and the coaxial lead. There is no voltage on the wiring which thoroughly confounded me. Checked both the wires using the ground on the running lights, no joy. Unfortunately it began to rain before I could get any pix. It is possible I blew a fuse, so I'll have to track that down. More Later.

Bob
Did you put the motor home in Reverse with the key on and then checked the yellow wire and red wire for voltage? many motor homes don't supply voltage to the camera until you go into reverse to backup.
Mel
Old 12-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes to what "MHBELL" said. There will be no voltage on the red wire until the MH is in reverse with the engine running, or the engine running and you switch the video monitor control to rear camera. Normally power is only applied thru the switchbox when either in reverse, the left or right turn signal is applied or you manually switch on the monitor to see something.
The coax should be video and the Yellow should be audio. (maybe)
Old 12-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #10

Normal operation of the old camera was that if you put power on via the controls the camera would operate. Didn't have to be engine on or in reverse, simply switch the power on. The connections to the old monitor were three wire, similar to the connections at the rear but different color codes. Logic would indicate reverse power on and switched power on (voltage always present). This is, in fact, what is present at the front, three wires (two 'hot' +/-) and the other probably switched. As a test I connected the third wire to 12v which made no difference at the rear. The lack of wire identification is a continual source of frustration to me (14 yrs military aviation, 12 yrs computers). I'm sure a submariner holds a similar view. To add to the festivities I notice I now have no rear tail lights. Opened them up to ensure there was no voltage there and bulbs were good. Ah, the joy of owning a MH.
Keep Smiling,
Bob
Old 12-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #11

Final solution was to run a new 12v wire from the air pump that furnishes air pressure to my toad braking system to the end cap. Since the pump is in one of the bays I was able to route the wiring internally and up into the rear closet. Used my hole saw to cut into the rear of the closet and scored a direct hit on the old wiring which I used to pull the new wire into the closet and spliced there. Piece of cake after that. Tapped into the running light ground to complete the circuit. Going to pump some 'Great Stuff' foam into the void to stabilize the wiring since I don't want the splices to vibrate and come loose over time. What a difference between the old camera and the new one, like night and day.
Thanks for all the suggestions Folks,
Bob

Tags
camera