Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
I made a bucket trap and put it out. My peanut butter kept disappearing. I finally discovered opossums were licking the can clean before the mice had a chance to try it out.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neisman View Post

Yes, but try to buy d-con now.
I shop at Amazon for most of my products.

Amazon still has some available.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #73

noticed the rat protection comments, on a 25 ft travel trailer were would be the best location to place and how many?
boogerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #74

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Food and a place to sleep is all mice really want.
Take away the food and the mice won't live there anymore.

What I am saying is after the season do a thorough cleaning in the fall wash all kitchen areas with a bleach kitchen spray available at most stores.
Vacuum the rugs thoroughly and that means THOROUGHLY.

Remember the potato chips crumbs that grand kids dropped on the rug may not be visible. But to a mouse it is food on a grand scale.

Mice will not sleep in your unit and dine in the neighbours, they really don't like the walk between units they sleep where they eat!!!!

What I am saying is cleanup and you will not have problems.

I realise that it is a different situation for full timers as food is always present but for seasonal RV's there is a solution.
I have read with amusement about better mouse traps but If you don't have mice you don't need traps.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #75

Smile Mouse problems

We picked up a couple of field mice while camping in state park, little buggers actually chewed the cabinets for bedding. Used snap traps and caught 2, then put moth balls in disposable glad bowls with lids, cuts holes in them and put that under cabinets, in basements (found this recommendation online). Have to get rid of them inside first, moth balls keeps them out, don't like strong smells. Haven't seen one in 8 months of living full time with 2 dogs that leave food everywhere.
GLE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #76

We have a spot in our garage where the mice chewed CONCRETE!

We had a shelf unit that had a trim board that was against the floor and they came from behind to get under the board.

The material was particle board so maybe they did not like the flavor...

Hole or trench is still there.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #77

I have had problems with pack rats and chipmunks. I have had them in the motorhome and in a F250 truck in my yard. For the truck I use 2 14 ft solar rope lights that I bought at Harbor Freight. They are $9.99 and $8.99 on sale. Make sure you use the blink mode and wrap them around the engine compartment. Stick the solar unit between the bumper and fender to get charged during the day. I also put moth balls on the batteries and use several dryer sheets too. The blinking lights keep the rats away and the moth balls/dryer sheets keep the chipmunks away.

I use 110 volt white rope lights around the motor home that I got at Big Lots. I have 5 30 ft strings that are attached to a dusk to dawn switch. This will keep the pack rats away. I also use bags of moth balls that I put on the batteries, generator in front, and on top of each saddle compartment. I put the slides out and put the bags on the top of the compartment bins. I then put the slides back in.

I also have rat traps in the general area and usually catch a pair of chipmunks/packrats about every 3-4 weeks as they come into the area. Use peanut butter for bait. All of this seems to work, but I have learned the hard way. Last year I left the truck 2 days without lights and got a rat or chipmunk in the engine compartment. Chewed off the red battery terminal covers and some vacuum line. Built a nest in the middle of the diesel engine. Use a bleach cleaning solution to clean up any droppings to remove any scent. Use lights and moth balls.

On returning from a 5 week trip this last spring, I left the motorhome in front of the house for 3 days while cleaning, washing and unpacking. Got a packrat on top of the fuel tank that chewed off the wires to the fuel gauge. I had to have the tank drained, dropped, and a new float unit installed. The wires were not long enough to splice. That was an $850 bill. So now I use the lights even for one night when loading/unloading to make sure there are no rodents.

Jim
Old 11-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #78

Mouse Deterrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
Any ideas? Other than a cat or mouse traps. I already put out several traps.
Saw an article several years ago about using Cod Liver Oil or Peppermint Oil.

We tried Peppermint Oil (available from GNC of similar stores), dampening cotton balls with the Peppermint Oil and putting them in the storage bays, cabinets and different places inside the motorhome.

Saw no signs of mice in the spring, plus the motorhome had a nice minty smell inside.
JerryLC is offline   Reply With Quote