Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2020, 04:43 AM   #1

Mouse deterrent

We have not had a mouse issue yet-but. I am thinking about getting these electronic units. One for the engine compartment and one for the generator compartment.

We recently moved to a new storage facility that is in a building in a rural area with livestock and out buildings.

The product has good reviews and I have used something similar in the boat at the marina that seemed to work.

Your thoughts?
https://www.amazon.com/Loraffe-Repel...3&sr=8-10&th=1
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 05:27 AM   #2

IMHO, the only effective deterrent is to diligently locate and plug the many holes where mice can enter the RV. There is much anecdotal evidence for dozens of products and techniques, but I have not seen or heard of any that are 100% effective. Plug the holes, and set baited traps inside.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #3

I am a believer in the ultrasonic type devices. I have been using the plug in 120v type for years. I plug three in the coach and leave them plugged in all year. Knock on wood I have not had a mouse problem yet. I will admit that in the winter I add moth balls to give an extra layer of protection.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #4

I've tried all the home & store bought gadgets. The only thing that has worked for me is the humane live traps. I lure in the mice that make their way in & then release them into a field out in the country at least 2 miles away.

Cats work very well too.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-mice-have-discovered-my-coach-465679.html#post5003295
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #5

We had issues with mice in our barn for a while. I caught a black snake and turned it loose in the barn; we haven't seen any mice in months.

This may not be practical for your application.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

As far as I can tell, acoustic devices have no proper scientific testing to support them. My son tested one 50 years ago for a high school science project.

They have been available for years and people buy them and on occasion write good reviews. That is pretty much all there is except for articles written by agents.

Control rodents using food and shelter management first. (They are attracted by food and shelter.) Add poison bait boxes next. Mechanical traps help but can never be a complete solution.

See previous post above about plugging holes pencil size or larger.

In closed or mostly closed spaces, a box of moth balls works. For instance, place an open box of moth balls under the hood of a tractor or other vehicle to keep the little critters from chewing on electrical wires. Remove the box for travel or other operation and replace when returned to storage. This also works for mud dauber wasps. This is not a good solution for human or animal occupied spaces.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The internet is filled with pictures of mice happily standing on electronic noisemakers, bars of Irish Spring soap, using Bounce dryer sheets for bedding and just about any other "deterrents" people try. Don't waste your money. If you use one of those methods and do not have a mouse problem, you do not have a mouse problem.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We use oil of mint soaked paper towels in 4 corners of the basement which seems to be successful. We have had mice before; so I'm giving the oil credit.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use Fresh Cab, Grandpa Gus, and electronic (120v AC) mouse repellents. Works for me..

I get it at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Menards Home Improvement, etc.

I put a bag and/or spray the basement compartments for water, electric, and any hydraulics. I put a bag in the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and cab area. I rotate between the Fresh Cab and Gus's.

I have an electronic repellent in the bedroom and cab area.
Attached Thumbnails

Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
This really works well. You can buy a whole bunch of them for the price of all the other gimicks.

.99 cents
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victor_mouse_1_1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	285620  
Old 05-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Barn, or feral cats. I always look for cats when looking for storage places
Old 05-17-2020, 12:36 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like others I live in a semi rural area and have had various mice and packrat issues in the past.

I totally agree spend the time and first plug up all of the holes, at least as small as 3/16". Now as for keeping them gone. Snap traps are very effective. But keep in mind that the bait used on them is an attractant. I used snap traps to kill off existing populations, but the bait will draw new rodents into the area. I finally went with strobe lights. Use both 120v DJ style lights and 12v strobes as used on emergency vehicles. Both seem to work well. Since I started using them in my RVs, vehicles and sheds and have not seen any sign of rodents. I use Rid-a-Rat strobes under the hoods, two per each vehicle. No more problems there.

I tend to believe various techniques will work in one area of the country while it fails elsewhere. Maybe a differences in response of different species. Don't know. I also use Bounce dryer sheets stuffed everywhere. Not sure if it deters rodents, but DW likes the smell.

I know many people use Fresh-Carb, but here I find the bags used in Packrat nests....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #13

I've camped across the West for several years boondocking and had the most success using mechanical traps baited with peanut butter. Three around each wheel.

Then I put those green rat poison blocks wired-up in the engine bay. Then a note goes on the dash to tell me to remove them before leaving.

If the traps are triggered w/out mice, then use rat traps and weaken the trigger mechanism and possibly change the bait since they may remember peanut butter is dangerouse. There are some big mice in the Mohave.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
NXR

Take a clue from Uncle Duke. Just substitute "mice" where it says "dogs".

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duke.PNG
Views:	81
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	285731