Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #1

Move to a Class A

Due to issues out of my control, I'm considering a move from a 46' DRV 5th wheel to a Class A Coach. I have an idea of what I'm looking for but have never researched the Class A lines. I know Tiffin, Monaco, and Winnebago, but the floor plans of each and different models for different years get mind-boggling.
What I'm interested in is-
USED
Diesel Pusher
Bath &1/2
Desk area- I still work
Couch
Decent kitchen area
King bed

What floor plans meet this? Our current setup is 74' with the truck and 5th wheel, so up to a 45' coach is acceptable.
Suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2023, 04:50 PM   #2

Seem like you are looking for a bigger coach for the bath and a half and king bed. They might have a floorplan like that in a sub 40 footer, I dunno. Far as brand, suggest you start with the motor and chassis you like, then the features like Aqua Hot vs forced air etc. Also, might be helpful to share what your budget is.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Due to issues out of my control, I'm considering a move from a 46' DRV 5th wheel to a Class A Coach. I have an idea of what I'm looking for but have never researched the Class A lines. I know Tiffin, Monaco, and Winnebago, but the floor plans of each and different models for different years get mind-boggling.
What I'm interested in is-
USED
Diesel Pusher
Bath &1/2
Desk area- I still work
Couch
Decent kitchen area
King bed

What floor plans meet this? Our current setup is 74' with the truck and 5th wheel, so up to a 45' coach is acceptable.
Suggestions?
A Class A is definitely a fun experience. Your criteria of used and up to 45’ is a very broad range. I think what may help others with suggestions is to elaborate on your budget. What range are you looking to spend?
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You can find floor plan diagrams for the coach model and year in an online search.

I know Monaco, as it’s what we bought five years ago. We nearly bought a Tiffin, so we did research them at the time.

While floor plan is very important, my focus was on construction. I liked the Monaco S Series chassis because it is all steel house construction, semi-monocoque, and 10 air bags. It is found on Monaco models Dynasty, Executive, and Signature. I’ve found it rock solid on the road. You can’t duplicate this chassis in a new coach today without spending $1 million.

Keep in mind Monaco went out of business around 2009/10. However I’ve never found parts or service difficult to find.

You can find model brochures with floor plans at the link.
https://www.monacocoach.com/service-...pairs/#manuals
Old 01-13-2023, 05:15 PM   #5

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...319-5023971118

How is this ? I'd settle for it. In a more modern coach I wonder how owners feel about having to pay for DEF ? I think that is everything after 2011-ish ?
Old 01-13-2023, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...319-5023971118

How is this ? I'd settle for it. In a more modern coach I wonder how owners feel about having to pay for DEF ? I think that is everything after 2011-ish ?
I don’t understand. You referring to DEF possible problems? If you’re referring to the price of the fluid, I believe that if you can afford a half million dollar coach, you can spring for $50 a year DEF.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I don’t understand. You referring to DEF possible problems? If you’re referring to the price of the fluid, I believe that if you can afford a half million dollar coach, you can spring for $50 a year DEF.
Very well said! DW is an audiologist and is constantly amazed by people who think nothing of spending $7-8k for hearing aids, then complain about the cost of the batteries.

Back to OPs Question: You seem to have narrowed it down to a few brands, I would add Newmar to your list. Most important thing is floor plan. This site: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/specs-guide has a pretty comprehensive list of info on major brands including floor plans.

We used to have a 38’ DRV when we full-timed. Great trailer but too big for where we like to go. Now have a 38’ Tiffin 37BH with king bed and 1.5 baths. Has everything we want but not so big that we’re stuck in private RV parks. And it fits in our barn with 3” to spare!
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:26 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The cost of DEF is a minor issue. I spent a total $4,556 for diesel and $107.50 for DEF last year. As you can see, it's actually a minor expense.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I was just asking because so many people complain about it...and please rich people complain about spending $1.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:08 PM   #10

I’m probably gonna get some kind of grief for this from the DP owners, but have you considered purchasing a SUPER C. I have a 40 footer and it’s perfect they do come with bath in half if you need one and it’s a beast. I believe it’s safer to drive and way easier to service and work on or stuck on the side of the road.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:03 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
I suggest looking over the Motor Homes of TX website.. They have a lot of pictures of every thing they sell..
Personally I suggest a 2000 to 2008 coach,, that way You avoid the supposed ills of DEF and/or the exhaust treatment complex..
As for Brands I would look at Top of the line offerings in the Newmar, the Entegra/ Tiffin [prior to Thor buy out] then Country Coach & possibly the Fleetwood brands, and 'If" Your budget will allow, Look at the USED Foretravel & Newell coaches.

Disclaimer .. We own a 40' '02 Foretravel 320 tag, Semi- ADA Walk thru bath and single living room slide. Residential Samsung 18, Stacked Washer & Dryer, engineered Hickory Hardwood flooring [by Ernie Eckbert], 50/50 split fully adjustable residential Queen bed.

190 gal fuel, 112 gal fresh water, 115 gray water and 56 gal black tank.

ISM-500, with 1550 torque and Texas Gearing..
Happy Hunting.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I suggest looking over the Motor Homes of TX website.. They have a lot of pictures of every thing they sell..
Personally I suggest a 2000 to 2008 coach,, that way You avoid the supposed ills of DEF and/or the exhaust treatment complex..
As for Brands I would look at Top of the line offerings in the Newmar, the Entegra/ Tiffin [prior to Thor buy out] then Country Coach & possibly the Fleetwood brands, and 'If" Your budget will allow, Look at the USED Foretravel & Newell coaches.

Disclaimer .. We own a 40' '02 Foretravel 320 tag, Semi- ADA Walk thru bath and single living room slide. Residential Samsung 18, Stacked Washer & Dryer, engineered Hickory Hardwood flooring [by Ernie Eckbert], 50/50 split fully adjustable residential Queen bed.

190 gal fuel, 112 gal fresh water, 115 gray water and 56 gal black tank.

ISM-500, with 1550 torque and Texas Gearing..
Happy Hunting.
Saddlesore, I love reading what you and all your fellow posters who hate DEF have to post. I respect your opinion, but I find it kind of funny that y’all tell everyone about the problems of modern coaches relating to exhaust treatment but fail to acknowledge the potential problems with 20 year old coaches in general.

If you follow the problems people have with their coaches, most of those problems are age related and can be anything on the coach that’s mechanical from a water pump to a rear axle and anything in between. I’ll trade a DEF problem any day for one of the hundreds of things that age has a hand in.

The other day, a post was shut down because even a moderator didn’t want it discussed because it probably got ugly. Can the system malfunction? Yes, but no more or less than an aged brake, leveling, air, electrical or other system.

I understand your opinion, and yes, I think it’s respected. Have a good one.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:44 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We just did the same back in June 22... our Fifth wheel was getting too much for me and my back, the set-up, take down, getting in and out of the back of the truck, packing the truck, etc...took a toll on my already beat up body.
So found a decent deal on used Class A, 38 ft, so much easier to move and park,
that the 43 ft fifth wheel/dually truck combo.

Entegra Coach is good quality, but to get decent kitchen space, needs to be over 40 ft. Our 38ft has a six foot kitchen counter with residential fridge next to it, but the counter has the induction cook top and sink in it that leaves about 12" prep space in between...very tight.
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:20 AM   #14

Geez I was just asking a question based on a lot of comments at this very forum not looking to stir up trouble. If def is only costing 1-$200 a year I would agree it's a very minor consideration and good to know. I probably spent 100 on just my Ecodiesel in a year.

Tags
class a