Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Moving from 35 to 40 ft - differences in site availability?

I am thinking of moving from my current 35 ft Georgetown to a 40-41 ft DP. Will this greatly decrease the amount of places I can stay?

We went from a 30 ft TT to the Georgetown and never found anywhere we could not get in ...though we did look more carefully at the driveway size before booking, and it limited it some. Not sure how much further limited we are exposed to from 35 to 40.

Over the past 3 years we have mainly stayed at State Parks, National Parks and COE campgrounds in Ga/Fla/Sc/Tn/Ala. ...and some private. We would like to do more travel out west.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We upgraded from a 37' To a 40' 10 years ago. We did not find much difference. We do not stay in state parks much in Wisconsin because many are older and cannot accommodate our size. Also the trees are not trimmed enough to suit me. I already have some scratches the previous owner acquired. Due to the fact we have 3 slides we have to watch more closely for proper clearance before extending our slides.

We have found the private campgrounds are more often big rig friendly and we prefer them to state parks in our state.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is no single answer cause it depends solely on where you go. Obviously, 40 ft is longer and requires a larger site, but most large sites can handle both. But in some places 35-36 ft may be the very max, and 40 just won't fit. Or the access roads may be too narrow or twisty to get in.

Our general experience is that the choice of sites is reduced a bit, and sometimes we are sandwiched in vs having a few extra feet, but we rarely have a problem finding a site. Of course, as our igs have grown from 24 ft to 40, we have gradually raised our standards for campgrounds as well, so that may have something to do with the typical site size. I recall parks where 30 ft was considered big, but we don't go there any more.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We just moved to a 40' motor home from a 5th wheel and mostly stay in Texas state parks. There are a lot more sites we can't get into, but there always seems to be a site long enough for us to fit.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
A lot of Fed/State parks have issues with RVs over certain lengths. I very rarely boondock. You can always find an opening for 40' at most good CGs. Most issues do involve tight turns on low branches.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
You really should not have any problems unless you stay in national and state parks, or some of the older parks. I never had a problem finding a place to stay when we had a 38 ft motor home although we ran in to several that had a 34 ft limitation. Some that we could get into, were to narrow and trees got in the way. Just be selective and check things out first before entering. We downsized to a 32 ft a year ago. If you are careful, you won't have any problems.
Mel
Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #7

We have traveled extensively over the last 6 years and cannot recall a site that we used that would not work with a 40 ft. rig. We are 36 feet. The only problem I can recall are National Forest campgrounds and some of those have a 22 ft limit.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #8

About 2 years ago we got the bug to move from our 37' Class A to a 43' DP. At the time my feeling was that I didn't remember anywhere we had stayed where another 6' would have been prohibitive, but I wasn't watching. Have been for the last 2 years. Full-timing. Once, and that was only because adequate reservations had not been made in advance. While we decided to let someone else absorb the depreciation for a change (now we're thinking the 2016 Dutch Star is the one) I still feel that anywhere I put our 37 I could get a 43.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #9

Thanks everyone ...very helpful.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We had a 36' Monaco Diplomat for 10 years. It actually measured 37' bumper to bumper. We decided to go with a 40' and bought a Newmar Dutch Star, which is a true 40' bumper to bumper. We camp at Yosemite every other year at Thanksgiving in Upper Pines. SO far, we've had no issues getting into the same spots as the 37'.

Here is what I've found though......I think some campground people tend to go into a another mode when they hear the word forty, no matter if it's forty or forty five. Often I tell them I have a 39'. If they ask, it's 39', 12".
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
I am thinking of moving from my current 35 ft Georgetown to a 40-41 ft DP. Will this greatly decrease the amount of places I can stay?

We went from a 30 ft TT to the Georgetown and never found anywhere we could not get in ...though we did look more carefully at the driveway size before booking, and it limited it some. Not sure how much further limited we are exposed to from 35 to 40.

Over the past 3 years we have mainly stayed at State Parks, National Parks and COE campgrounds in Ga/Fla/Sc/Tn/Ala. ...and some private. We would like to do more travel out west.
I don't think we've ever been in a park in a 36ft space where having another 4ft and a lot more wouldn't have worked. We have been in spaces with no room to spare, but then they insisted that our 36ft wouldn't fit in there, in the first place. It seldom happens, when it comes down to the wire and this is the only space left, unless you're following the CA coast in summer and staying in SP's and playing their lottery for getting a spot in the first place.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote