Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #1

Moving from Cal to Idaho

Ok folks, looks like Iím moving from Cal to Idaho, we will sell our home maybe in April, new house in Idaho wonít be ready till July. Should I travel for 2-3 months and boondock when I can to save money or park it somewhere for a month at a time and then move on to another area. We maybe can park it at friends property in Ca or Idaho, either way the furniture will be in storage in Idaho, should I travel to New Mexico/Colorado/So. Dakota for a few months or just park it in Idaho and do dailey excursions ? Donít have much money to blow for this, need all I can for moving ! Thanks, I know there will be different view points !!
dtmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #2

I was going to say to visit all the SW's ancient ruins and caves, the Grand Canyon for example would be fun to visit soon staying in Willamson for a week, staying a week at a time at RV parks nearby cliff dwellings until you said 'no money'.

Instead I'd recommend you stay for a month at a time at low cost out of the way RV parks starting in the warm SW and slowly heading north. There's many RV parks in small towns or along byways where $250 per month isn't unusual. And that's what a week is at many other parks in crowded areas.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmonaco View Post
Ok folks, looks like Iím moving from Cal to Idaho, we will sell our home maybe in April, new house in Idaho wonít be ready till July. Should I travel for 2-3 months and boondock when I can to save money or park it somewhere for a month at a time and then move on to another area. We maybe can park it at friends property in Ca or Idaho, either way the furniture will be in storage in Idaho, should I travel to New Mexico/Colorado/So. Dakota for a few months or just park it in Idaho and do dailey excursions ? Donít have much money to blow for this, need all I can for moving ! Thanks, I know there will be different view points !!
I think that you can answer your own questions better than someone else. What do you want to do and what can you afford to do?
Old 02-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #4

Catch 22; situation , unless your going to stay boondocking in one spot for extended periods of time , you either spend $$$ for an RV site , or on fuel for daily moves .
As Jim says you should be able to find some smaller RV parks with good monthly rates .
Old 02-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
USFS CGs with no hookups are $12-$16/day and 14 day max ...half that with the old farts pass. I would do CO and WY for the months in between. There are dispersed camping sites (free) and you should be able to go 10-14 days before needing to dump and resupply at a private CG for one day while moving to a new area to explore.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #6

Find a friend with a large lot and electrical.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Find a friend with a large lot and electrical.
But be a good friend and pass some money to them for the power nice begets nice
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #8

Idaho is a great place to live.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Have an outlet installed outside your new home site and park it there. You can guard the site and monitor the progress on your new home.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:06 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would boondock at your new home site. They can probably set you up with electric and water easily. Make the spot near the sewer line or septic line and you will not have to spend much money.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Wow, some great ideas, thank you all for your input, Iíll run these ideas to the boss !
dtmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Looking at a map from your Santa Rosa location I suspect you'll be taking I80 and State 95 probably. Use the touristy web sites to plan some stops. If I did that drive I'd be able find a number of interesting places to stop and spend a night or two.

A number of years ago friend and his new bride borrowed his older brothers motor home and drove from L.A. to some place in northern OR via US101 and CA1 and managed to take over a month to get there... if they saw something interesting they'd stop and check it out. For example, they drove through a little town called Harmony, about 5 miles south of Cambria. They spent several hours talking to a glassblower, just because they saw his sign next to the highway... she still has the hollow glass paperweight the size of a baseball that she blew and shaped. They spent 3 days at Hearst Castle, taking all of the tours... The next day, further up the highway they saw a lady with a flat tire in a highway turnout. They stopped, helped her change a tire, and she invited them to her restaurant. They spent a afternoon learning how to make Basque cheescake. They spent several days in Coos Bay OR with a relative that couldn't make the wedding. They arrived at their destination, spent a week, then took highway 5 south and were back in L.A. in 5 days.

Have an open mind, plan ahead, make a bucket list of interesting places, but be open to stopping if you see something that isn't on your list but looks interesting... stop and check it out.

Mike
Old 02-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I would boondock at your new home site. They can probably set you up with electric and water easily. Make the spot near the sewer line or septic line and you will not have to spend much money.
Like Vito suggested have them pour an RV parking slab at the same time they pour the footings. All is will cost is the framing of the slab and some more concrete in the truck. While the backhoe is doing the trenching for the house foundation footings have them dig the trench for a sewer connection, a 50 amp connection, and a water spigot next to the slab.
If you are not going to take your time getting to ID then check with your insurance guy and see if you can get a discount for being on-site security at your house build site. Have your builder see if he can get a discounted rate as well, then discount the build by that much.

When my friend John had his place built in AZ the discount for having one of his friends park a MH at the job site and live in it in the evenings and weekends got his builder a discount, and John ended up with a 50 / 30 / 20 amp RV power box on the side of his new house by the driveway for free.

Mike
Old 02-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to look in to becoming a camp host which may solve part of your out of pocket expenses. Some of the long time camp hosts are staying put and have opened up spots for people willing to put in time and effort.