Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Moving Into My DP For The Winter In Buffalo NY...Am I Crazy?

Hello friends,

I have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat, I have been considering making it my permanent residence for some time. The lease on my apartment comes up on Oct 31st. I found a campground here in Buffalo that will give me a year round 50 amp site. I want to live in my coach full time.

I plan to use an external propane tank that will be filled by a local company.

Am I crazy?

Can this unit really make it with average winter temps in the teens, sometimes even close to 0??

I have a water bay heater, and the furnace also heats the water bay.

The site owner said I can use a heated water hose and run it to a nearby building that has a spicket that remains on in the winter.

I also plan to supplement the heat with a couple space heaters. Many winter days here are warmer and I may be able to use the heat pumps at times.

My biggest concern is actually the weight of snow on the open slides (and toppers). Is this something to worry about?

Should I add additional insulation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan
MonacoMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMan84 View Post
Hello friends,

I have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat, I have been considering making it my permanent residence for some time. The lease on my apartment comes up on Oct 31st. I found a campground here in Buffalo that will give me a year round 50 amp site. I want to live in my coach full time.

I plan to use an external propane tank that will be filled by a local company.

Am I crazy?

Can this unit really make it with average winter temps in the teens, sometimes even close to 0??

I have a water bay heater, and the furnace also heats the water bay.

The site owner said I can use a heated water hose and run it to a nearby building that has a spicket that remains on in the winter.

I also plan to supplement the heat with a couple space heaters. Many winter days here are warmer and I may be able to use the heat pumps at times.

My biggest concern is actually the weight of snow on the open slides (and toppers). Is this something to worry about?

Should I add additional insulation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan
Do you need to stay in Buffalo? _ I've Wintered in Golden Colorado a few years so I Know COLD (-15 every night for 10 days straight one winter) only two coaches did not freeze, so proper systems are critical.

If you are moving in to Live in the RV then I'd suggest you do everything you can to avoid the Snow and the Cold.

Insulate - cover - skirting - extra heat - .........................and be prepared to Shovel things OFF. Least amount of Insulation is the Rear of the Coach and the Engine - the cold will come in easily and completely if you are not doing something to help avoid it.

I could go on and on but ...........Can you ...probably ......Should you probably Not.

Will be interesting to see what you decide,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #3

We have spent two winters at 7000' in the mountains and have had no problems. The first winter we had over six feet of snow. As for the snow, I get on the roof as soon as the snow stops falling and shovel off the roof and slides. Snow is very heavy and structural issues should be a concern. Plus, if the snow is not removed, freeze/thaw cycles will cause ice to form on the roof and that will cause serious damage, and probably leaks. To clean the roof/slides I use a broom if the snow is not deep, otherwise I use a shovel with a plastic blade. Our fiberglass roof has had no problems doing this.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Do you need to stay in Buffalo? _ I've Wintered in Golden Colorado a few years so I Know COLD (-15 every night for 10 days straight one winter) only two coaches did not freeze, so proper systems are critical.

If you are moving in to Live in the RV then I'd suggest you do everything you can to avoid the Snow and the Cold.

Insulate - cover - skirting - extra heat - .........................and be prepared to Shovel things OFF. Least amount of Insulation is the Rear of the Coach and the Engine - the cold will come in easily and completely if you are not doing something to help avoid it.

I could go on and on but ...........Can you ...probably ......Should you probably Not.

Will be interesting to see what you decide,

Yes I have to live here, I'm 34 and work full time at an RV dealership. My whole life is based here. I'm just tired of paying for my RV and my apartment. I love my rig, It's perfect for me. We do get a lot of snow but it's usually in the 20's here, also I don't like my house warm, I usually keep the thermostat around 64 in the winter.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to do this. And I plan to keep this thread updated with the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
We have spent two winters at 7000' in the mountains and have had no problems. The first winter we had over six feet of snow. As for the snow, I get on the roof as soon as the snow stops falling and shovel off the roof and slides. Snow is very heavy and structural issues should be a concern. Plus, if the snow is not removed, freeze/thaw cycles will cause ice to form on the roof and that will cause serious damage, and probably leaks. To clean the roof/slides I use a broom if the snow is not deep, otherwise I use a shovel with a plastic blade. Our fiberglass roof has had no problems doing this.
I figured that would be necessary. My rig has an aluminum roof and it's slick in the winter, I did use it over the winter once and I accidentally stepped through the shower skylight!!! Can't believe I wasn't seriously injured.

I'm really worried mostly about the plumbing and tanks, do I need to insulate the water bay more???
Old 08-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You asked the question "Am I crazy" so, I'm going to vote in the Yes group. Your letting yourself in for an interesting experience. Worst case scenario, you trash your motorhome and they find your frozen remains in the spring.
Good luck!
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

Should I Tarp the slides??

I've had issues with my entry door freezing shut as well. Any thoughts???\

Thanks guys....
Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
You asked the question "Am I crazy" so, I'm going to vote in the Yes group. Your letting yourself in for an interesting experience. Worst case scenario, you trash your motorhome and they find your frozen remains in the spring.
Good luck!
Well I definitely don't want to trash my rig, it's in great shape. It has however been kept outside all winter every year and has done well. I guess the difference this time is the slides will be open and it will have water in it, but it is my understanding that these coaches can operate in the winter if the furnace and bay heaters are used. Is that true?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #8

Does anyone know what the average propane consumption would be monthly?\

I know those furnaces use a significant amount of propane and the coach isn't well insulated.

Just wondering what it might cost. I was thinking around $175 a month, am I way off??
Old 08-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think you'll be able to figure it out and try it for a year. Sounds like you have already made up your mind and I look forward to following your progress and experience.

There probably is a reason more people aren't doing this at your age and up North. Is this a good financial decision in the long run? Where do you want to be in 5, 10 years? There are many questions to be answered and I suspect you'll answer them sooner or later.

Good luck
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Does anyone know what the average propane consumption would be monthly?\

I know those furnaces use a significant amount of propane and the coach isn't well insulated.

Just wondering what it might cost. I was thinking around $175 a month, am I way off??

Depends on how you're going to use it. Is propane going to be the primary or just to supplement the electric heaters.
How much is electricity going to cost you?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes I have to live here, I'm 34 and work full time at an RV dealership. My whole life is based here. I'm just tired of paying for my RV and my apartment. I love my rig, It's perfect for me. We do get a lot of snow but it's usually in the 20's here, also I don't like my house warm, I usually keep the thermostat around 64 in the winter.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to do this. And I plan to keep this thread updated with the progress.

I figured that would be necessary. My rig has an aluminum roof and it's slick in the winter, I did use it over the winter once and I accidentally stepped through the shower skylight!!! Can't believe I wasn't seriously injured.

I'm really worried mostly about the plumbing and tanks, do I need to insulate the water bay more???
Think Propane - Lot's of Propane - Skirting will be a big Help

You are young so climbing up to shovel will be a little easier for you than Me - But you will need to shovel every snow OFF. No vacation here. -

It will be important to be sure all the possible leaks are sealed - Seams and Lights on the Roof. -

Water - Ice - Snow and Leaks will not end well. -

A little extra heat in the Basement helps on those really cold nights - a light in the utility bay will also help - Maybe a 250 watt heat light . -

The farm water heaters thermostats also help - like these from Amazon - Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees - These work in the basement to keep the heat on when needed. -

As I think of more I'll get back with you - would have been great if you had a Hydro Hot as they really heat and are a lot cheaper than Propane. -

You Can Do It,

-

Winter can be Cruel;

Even October can work you

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Skirt the entire bottom in with rigid insulation if the park will allow it. Easier to heat and drafts can suck the heat out of most anything. Make sure water and sewer are well insulated as when they freeze they are a real messy pain. Wrap slide outs with flexible foil type insulation or place rigid insulation on top of slide. Your windows are major heat loses.

Yes it can and will work, proper prep before freeze up will make for less panic after.

I have stayed once in a 5er to -25. Wrapped up real tight. Lots of propane and electric used. Would not do it again as I don’t have to.

Plan, plan and then execute the plan. Leave nothing till the last.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like a great adventure! ... as long as it is just you. I wouldn't submit a wife and kids to it unless they are all in.

If it proves to be too much, what would prevent you from winterizing your RV and moving into an apartment?

As far as the door freezing, maybe keeping a small electric heater pointed toward it would help.

Good luck!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #14

A lot will depend on your coach. Do you have dual pane windows? Is it well insulated? Is the basement insulated? Is the basement heated? Is there one or two furnaces? When did you last test the furnace? Get a large external propane tank (at least 100lb) with a regular filling schedule.

Take advantage of passive solar heat. Park with the front of the coach facing west for morning sun through the windshield and the passenger side facing south for the most free heat. Don't park in the shade. Get a wireless remote thermometer to monitor outside temps and another to monitor the wet bay. Have a good thermometer and humidity monitor for inside.

Get a big roll of reflectix at home depot and cut to cover the inside of the windshield and windows at night. Get those pillows to plug the roof fan vents. Get some Thermocubes for some electric heaters for emergency heat in the basement. Get a heated mattress pad for comfortable sleeping. A heated water hose works well. Humidity and condensation are the biggest problems. Get a good dehumidifier.

Don't bother skirting the coach. With all the snow you get there, just use the snow you shovel off the roof to block off the bottom of the coach.

It is possible to be very comfortable spending a winter in a motor coach. We have done it for two winters. Some respondents to your thread will likely have no experience wintering in a coach. Pay attention to those who have done it. If you are careful, resourceful and have a quality, well sorted coach, you should have no problems.

Tags
winter