Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Florida has mandatory $0 pay glass coverage and a replacement is considered a claim and will adversely impact your premium. I had a couple broken windshields a few years ago caused by debris coming off the ubiquitous dump trucks on our roads. I had them replaced. When I went to move my auto coverage to a new company ( agent is my neighbor) I was told that because of my claims, my premium would be significantly higher. So much, that she suggested that if I get a future wind shield break, that I cover it out of my pocket instead of filing a claim. Sort of invalidates the reason for the mandatory coverage.
Thanks PanJH!

You said something important I need to look into - flying debris didn’t break my windshield, a flaw in the construction of the coach as a result of age did. Maybe that does become a comp claim.
But then there’s that issue that the claim would be 2/3’s the cost of what the annual policy was for the coach and toad - assuming I have no more claims or accidents - we would hope our next premium shouldn’t increase more than say, double.

Insurance - can’t live with it, can’t live without it. If they don’t get it from you this year, they will the next.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #16

I have a tiny star in the lower left side of my driver's side windshield. It was there when I bought my coach in 2015 and hasn't gotten any larger. It also gets covered from the inside with the state registration sticker although it is visible from the outside.
I have had two people notice this star and both of them suggested I file a claim with my insurance company to get the windshield replaced. I've refused. The star doesn't bother me, it was there when I bought the coach and who knows, someday something might happen when the windshield does actually get broken. That would be two claims. One fraudulent and one legitimate so I might get a rate increase. Doesn't make sense to me to chance it.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #17

Old glass doesn't get "brittle". Examples being cathedrals in Europe that have windows going on a thousand years old. Their glass is notably thicker at the bottom than the top because over the years the glass is "flowing" downhill. At a pace that makes glaciers look speedy but it is still flowing.

That said, windshields are a bit different in that they are laminated. Two freaking thin sheets of glass fused together by goop that resembles sticky bubble gum but when sealed between the two sheets of glass is as clear as they are. Over time that goop can suffer from UV exposure combined with exposure to the atmosphere. THus many very old windshields will be milky looking around the edges. Some really bad ones look somewhat like bacon grease. This weakened binding "goop" at the edges makes such windshields definitely more delicate than new ones. No big deal to me, they just take a lot more handling care as to the edges.

Years ago I cut out up to six automotive windshields out a day. To be sold and reused, so they had to be removed with care. Something not everyone cares to do apparently. The place I did this for still hasn't found someone to replace me doing that job some fifteen years later. If they get desperate there's a cash only type windshield guy that they will call.

My opinion is that the windshield people just plain don't want to do the job. There is risk. Even the best sometimes make a tiny mistake and windshields are NOT forgiving. And the size of the mistake doesn't really matter. It's either 100% good or ruined.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have a tiny star in the lower left side of my driver's side windshield. It was there when I bought my coach in 2015 and hasn't gotten any larger. It also gets covered from the inside with the state registration sticker although it is visible from the outside.
I have had two people notice this star and both of them suggested I file a claim with my insurance company to get the windshield replaced. I've refused. The star doesn't bother me, it was there when I bought the coach and who knows, someday something might happen when the windshield does actually get broken. That would be two claims. One fraudulent and one legitimate so I might get a rate increase. Doesn't make sense to me to chance it.
Our old coach had the same thing when we got her. Never got worse, and when the guy came out to replace the driver side (that spidered badly and probably would have failed inspection in Texas assuming it was properly inspected) I asked if he could do his magic on it. He took a quick look and said “No, somebody already tried and did a bad job.
Was still good the day we sold it two years later.

I’m with you on the claim aspect!
Old 05-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Old glass doesn't get "brittle". Examples being cathedrals in Europe that have windows going on a thousand years old. Their glass is notably thicker at the bottom than the top because over the years the glass is "flowing" downhill. At a pace that makes glaciers look speedy but it is still flowing.

That said, windshields are a bit different in that they are laminated. Two freaking thin sheets of glass fused together by goop that resembles sticky bubble gum but when sealed between the two sheets of glass is as clear as they are. Over time that goop can suffer from UV exposure combined with exposure to the atmosphere. THus many very old windshields will be milky looking around the edges. Some really bad ones look somewhat like bacon grease. This weakened binding "goop" at the edges makes such windshields definitely more delicate than new ones. No big deal to me, they just take a lot more handling care as to the edges.

Years ago I cut out up to six automotive windshields out a day. To be sold and reused, so they had to be removed with care. Something not everyone cares to do apparently. The place I did this for still hasn't found someone to replace me doing that job some fifteen years later. If they get desperate there's a cash only type windshield guy that they will call.

My opinion is that the windshield people just plain don't want to do the job. There is risk. Even the best sometimes make a tiny mistake and windshields are NOT forgiving. And the size of the mistake doesn't really matter. It's either 100% good or ruined.
Thanks GypsyR! Wish SC was a little closer to MO - I’d pick that glass up and bring it to you to replace - 😀 .

Totally understand glass creep - also understand that as much as it creeps, it can also distort yet not crack. Depending on the distortion direction from the old coach, and assuming an opposite distortion to my coach - could result in the replacement cracking at some point if not when installed.

I also totally understand the profit aspect - but that’s where the guy I talked to messed up - all he had to do was add his install charge to what his mark-up would have been and he would have been whole.
But he said it was liability.

I’m not going to put myself in his shoes, it’s his loss because in the end he won’t get any business from me. And from the sound of it by the first guy who answered the phone, they didn’t really need the business right now anyway.

As mentioned previous, I’m going back to RVGlass.com where I’ll get a known matching tint, new windshield with an install warranty. Yes, more money - but likely less long term risk in the end.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mark....it's very reasonable to lower just your Comprehensive coverage on your insurance. I run a much lower deductible on the Comprehensive, than the collision.

I had State Farm from 16 years old to 42 years old. At that point they raised our rates every six months with my daughters driving. Each time I called the agent, he assured me there would be no more increases. He was right, I went AAA. Didn't even get a kiss my butt call from them after being with them for so many years, along with my parents before that. At the time, State Farm was apparently trying to get out of underwriting in California. Later they realized they made a mistake.

When I went with AAA, they didn't insure RV's at that time, so I used Progressive for three years. So I understand not always using the same company. I had a small trailer to tow my RZR, AAA told me it would be cheaper to insure it with Geico, so I did. Later, Progressive doubled rates nationwide, probably to pay ole Flow. By then AAA was insuring RV's.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windshield