Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Moving “old” windshield to a different coach

Our coach is an ‘02 Georgie Boy Landau. First outing after we got it this past January, the loose dashboard slammed into the corner of the driver side windshield and cracked it. I didn’t realize the poor design of how the dashboard was fastened to the front end cap until after we had bought the coach.

I’ve since fixed the dashboard, now I need to replace the windshield. Now, before you say “That’s what insurance is for” (and I don’t really want to go there right now unless I need to) - I’ve found a good driver windshield from an 2000 Landau. It looks to be an exact match.

Question is, after contacting an installer, he said they don’t install old windshields any more because they’ve broken too many of them.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts, comments, pointers, etc.?

Thanks!
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 46
I would imagine it is a liability issue and a unknown cost issue, no way to know how easily the old windshield will be removed and how easily it can be cleaned up for reinstall. It is a perfect situation of being “set up for failure”. You may be understanding if something goes wrong, but 50% or more of people would not and so it isn’t worth the risk to the business.

I don’t deal with this, but I do run a business and wouldn’t do it either.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Thanks! Some good thoughts!

Unless there was/is some inherent property about old glass - the liability for doing the replacement is the same. Other than that, the only thing I can see is the additional handling of the old glass to get it clean.

All other aspects of liability are the same as far as I can see - unless the installer is protected by his supplier if he breaks the new glass - but then again, that leads me back to is there a property difference between new glass and old?
And yes, I can see the installers insurer saying that he is protected if only new glass is used.

I guess my question is more directed to be - is there some technical reason (other than the additional handling as mentioned) why old glass can’t be used?

FWIW - the salvage yard tells me the etch bug on the glass indicates it wasn’t the OEM, so obviously a newer glass - who knows how much newer &#129396.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 3,845
I wouldn't be afraid to use it. Try finding another installer who is willing to take the job on with the understanding if the glass breaks you won't hold him responsible.
How much cheaper is the old glass than a new one?
__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
I have gotten a few quotes on new glass from $1500 to $2200.

The glass I found - $350, including a 1 day drive to pick it up and 1 day drive back (but the coach needs to be exercised anyway, not to mention my savings would far exceed the lowest “new” cost).
The installer I contacted was down the road from where I would pick it up - and they were experienced by the salvager that I’m getting the glass.

We can bring it home to have it done.

And I agree - letting the installer know he won’t be held liable if it breaks - but then that in itself opens a can of worms.
I would do it, but don’t have the tools and have a bum right arm. I’ve seen it done on our old coach - two guys make it look simple (and is when you know what your doing). ��

Edit: I went back to look at quotes I got in early February - Installed price - a little shy of $1400.00.
Coincidently, the passenger glass was/is Guardian, and Guardian is connected with FMCA which we are now members of (as well as GoodSam which I don’t recall that I mentioned at the time), AND coincidently, not only is the passenger side glass is Guardian, it also has a slightly darker and better tint than the glass we need replaced.
So, I’ve asked them to refresh the Quote, told them we’re now FMCA, and hoping with crossed fingers we get some slight additional discount.

Bottom line, we’ll probably go with RVGS.com who provides the Guardian glass through association with FMCA.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lansing MI
Posts: 1,451
Glass becomes more brittle as it ages, that's probably the reason the glass guy won't touch it.
__________________
An Old Fisherman
2017 Nexus Ghost 36DS, 2004 Ford F150 Long Bed
2007 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Glass becomes more brittle as it ages, that's probably the reason the glass guy won't touch it.
Thanks! That’s kind of where I was heading in my thinking - I think I had that factoid stored away under mounds of dust and wine juice.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 17,481
If the old glass is out already (in one piece) it might be worth the effort. I know nothing about glass getting brittle, but if that's the case, it's a good point. Another reason, the glass installer makes money on the glass too. He may charge more if using your own glass. Probably no guarantee either. Also check the tint across the top of yours and compare it to the used one. The tint can change or be non existent. Something you may miss. If you're talking a two piece windshield, different tint on teh used unit may look funny.

Lastly, many states are a "no deductible" state for windshield replacement. If you broke it, meaning the dash hit it, not an accident, it should fall under your comprehensive and not go against you.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 3,845
I wouldn't even consider letting someone attempt to replace the glass that far from home. If it breaks you have a Long drive home with half a windshield.
__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:32 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If the old glass is out already (in one piece) it might be worth the effort. I know nothing about glass getting brittle, but if that's the case, it's a good point. Another reason, the glass installer makes money on the glass too. He may charge more if using your own glass. Probably no guarantee either. Also check the tint across the top of yours and compare it to the used one. The tint can change or be non existent. Something you may miss. If you're talking a two piece windshield, different tint on teh used unit may look funny.

Lastly, many states are a "no deductible" state for windshield replacement. If you broke it, meaning the dash hit it, not an accident, it should fall under your comprehensive and not go against you.

Thanks DSD!

The glass is currently installed in the donor coach, probably until I pay them for it - the price quoted to me is the “pick-up” price - as with most salvage yards these days I don’t have to remove it, they do.

As for the deductible, Texas isn’t a one of those states that requires $0 deductible glass breakage. I’ve checked my policy and have confirmed with my insurer that I would have to pay the $1000.00 deductible. Our last coach under a different insurer, our deductible was $500.00. My Jeep toad under yet a different policy there was no coverage.
And before someone chimes in that maybe the issue is that I’ve used all these different insurance companies for some unmentioned reason, so I don’t score any loyalty points - we've been a loyal house and home State Farm family for over 50 years - but they tried to stick it to us when it came to our first coach a couple of years ago. It became a matter of economics, comparing apples to apples major item coverage for the most economical premium. We still have State Farm on our house and the wife’s car. For the old coach, we had either Geico or Progressive, and one or the other remains on our Jeep toad. Now we have GoodSam covering coach and toad.
YMMV. 😀
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:40 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I wouldn't even consider letting someone attempt to replace the glass that far from home. If it breaks you have a Long drive home with half a windshield.

😀

Well, that was a thought 😀. But then fortunately what happens most of the time is windshield glass just cracks during installation rather than pulverizing. I very likely would still have a windshield, the spidering crack might would just be in a different place.

Not to mention that a used windshield has no guarantee or warranty.if I go with a new windshield, I get some level of either of those two.

BTW LetMeGrow - every time I look at your sig it takes me back to a company I worked for in the late ‘80’s here in Texas where I oversaw the design and manufacture of 5 custom air handling units for the school system in Watertown. The custom aspect of the units was they included heat pipe heat recovery coils.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:57 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 177
OP, I owned a glass shop for 20 years. First off, I have no knowledge of glass getting brittle. The process for removing a windshield can be quite vigorous and the chances of breaking that windshield are high. As a business owner, no way would I do a job like that. On the other hand, if the glass was already out of the other vehicle I wouldn't have an issue with it. I would however charge more for the labor as there is no money being made on the new windshield.

From personal experience I can tell you that every time I try and save a few bucks on a project, it usually ends up costing me more.
__________________
99 Tradewinds, 37ft, pushed by 2013 CRV, connected by Brute Elite tow bar.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Apollo Beach & Key West , FL
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If the old glass is out already (in one piece) it might be worth the effort. I know nothing about glass getting brittle, but if that's the case, it's a good point. Another reason, the glass installer makes money on the glass too. He may charge more if using your own glass. Probably no guarantee either. Also check the tint across the top of yours and compare it to the used one. The tint can change or be non existent. Something you may miss. If you're talking a two piece windshield, different tint on teh used unit may look funny.

Lastly, many states are a "no deductible" state for windshield replacement. If you broke it, meaning the dash hit it, not an accident, it should fall under your comprehensive and not go against you.
Florida has mandatory $0 pay glass coverage and a replacement is considered a claim and will adversely impact your premium. I had a couple broken windshields a few years ago caused by debris coming off the ubiquitous dump trucks on our roads. I had them replaced. When I went to move my auto coverage to a new company ( agent is my neighbor) I was told that because of my claims, my premium would be significantly higher. So much, that she suggested that if I get a future wind shield break, that I cover it out of my pocket instead of filing a claim. Sort of invalidates the reason for the mandatory coverage.
__________________
2013 DS 4338
2015 F-150 toad with kayaks,bicycles and a Harley in the back
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
OP, I owned a glass shop for 20 years. First off, I have no knowledge of glass getting brittle. The process for removing a windshield can be quite vigorous and the chances of breaking that windshield are high. As a business owner, no way would I do a job like that. On the other hand, if the glass was already out of the other vehicle I wouldn't have an issue with it. I would however charge more for the labor as there is no money being made on the new windshield.

From personal experience I can tell you that every time I try and save a few bucks on a project, it usually ends up costing me more.
Thanks l & l!

I kind of see the properties of glass both ways although have never run Rockwell hardness or elasticity tests on the same composition of old versus new glass to really have a strong conclusion.
And maybe it’s just that for those of us who don’t have experience with auto glass (or maybe glazed glass) removal without breakage have formed an unsubstantiated opinion. 🥴
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wind, windshield



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different devices get different cellular speeds brandss Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 11 07-10-2019 04:39 PM
TV Auto program - different TV's find different channels? Jtrving Newmar Owner's Forum 9 07-03-2018 02:41 PM
Different licenses for different states??? tsm1975 5th Wheel Discussion 12 11-25-2017 07:51 PM
Different models different insulation values? Smitty77 Country Coach Owners Forum 4 02-17-2017 10:16 AM
4 different tire gauges, 3 different readings fun time MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 05-04-2011 09:34 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.