Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboomski View Post
Hi All,

So living in SoCal is wonderful and all, but the high price of houses is not, pretty much a half-million to start. The wife and I are moving to her mother's house who is at the age where she could use the help and company, we are in our late 40's. She wants us there but enjoys her house the way it is so this is our plan: We are going to buy a MH and move on to her property but live in the MH. The price of the MH payment will be 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a house and we get the bonus of being able to pull up at anytime and go on vacation. Eventually we will inherit her house.
We have had a 40 foot pad poured next to her house and I'm going to have a 50 amp power supply installed on the side of her house as well. I'm also going to get a potty-dolly to empty tanks into her sewer access (it's uphill).

Our top 3 RV choices are:
  • Thor Challenger 37KT (love that the front room closes off from the rest of the RV)
  • Thor Challenger 37YT
  • Winnebago Adventurer 38Q

This is our first RV purchase and DP's are a little over our price range. We plan on taking it out once a month/once every 2 months to enjoy SoCal, Arizona,Nevada etc.

I would enjoy any feedback you all may have, being on the set-up or rig choices or anything. Looking forward to enjoying the RV life.
sounds like a great plan...But...I would look at some of the used DP's as they drop off in price drastic from new and you get a real nice coach...37' is too big IMHO for a gas coach with the little v10 motor...the pushers will give a better ride, smoother and quieter..most have the 6.7 diesel motors, on freightliner chassis...I would try to find one with more power and a better chassis ...there are some nice high end coaches out there with ISL motors and you'll be happy forever...

in the area you will be traveling gas coach...5mpg... dp 8mpg...

the roads over in that area are the roughest bone jarring roads any where and the gas and freightliners are horrible get a country coach. alpine, Monaco.. and that just a few...don't settle for less than a 400 hp....

great idea you guys have , and being able to give each other space will be a plus
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #16

Oh.... and welcome to the site... there really are some great helpful folks here...and I've made some great friends here that share the motorhome life style...don't worry about the porch dogs...they don't have teeth .... just bark alot
Old 10-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Slide outs deployed would be red flag to code enforcers.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #18

As others have said, be sure you are allowed to live in the rv. If you do not want to attract attention, maybe find one that lives well without deploying slide outs.

I love my motorhome, but if I planned to park in one place most of the time with only a few trips, I probably buy a travel trailer or fifth wheel a long with a tow vehicle. Detached, you can use the tow vehicle at home or on trips.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #19

one other thing to keep in mind.... traveling in that area is up hill both ways...
Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #20

another thing....good luck with your search... hope you find a nice coach..good time to buy as the snow birds will be trading...

and never never ever tell anyone one where you will be parking it
Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #21

I thought this to be a very nice coach....small motor is the draw back... but if not towing the work ok..price would depend on the condition..I was offered 105k for my 04, but it would cost me north of 250 to up grade to anything newer that was compareable

2007 Monaco Cayman 36PDQ 4 Slide Diesel Class A RV
Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I second and third and etc... the make sure first !

Don't mean to rain on ur parade, but they are correct...

and talking to someone doesn't count - can't tell you the number of times the 'officials' gave me the incorrect info when calling --- I always ask for it in writing or at least point out where I can find it online and print out the url and the content as backup... (things do change after all as it's their full time job to mess with the taxpayers )
Old 10-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might get away with it for a few months but in the long run the city will come after you. there is always some fool that doesn't like moho's parked on a subdivision property. Most cities have time limits on how long you can park on their streets let alone on a lot. Rural areas are a bit better, but still will come after you. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #24

well, if you do comeback

here's a good one...

40 ft diesel pusher Monaco Motorhome
Old 10-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't buy anything from Camping World.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-7022...ywords=Sanicon
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
Don't buy anything from Camping World.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-7022...ywords=Sanicon
that looks like a must get for me.. thanks for posting
Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #27

Welcome to the forum. Thou don't say exactly where you are, or your budget, so this of course influences the decisions you get to make, and forces other decisions on you. I suggest you don't worry so much about gas vs diesel, we have a 2005 Winnebago and tow a Subaru Forrester with a gas powered class A coach. Trips up Cajon I-15 to Las Vegas in the summer, To Idaho, Washington, I-80 across Utah and Wyoming, so the difference in a DP with a premium price of $80,000 over a GP will but you a lot of gasoline. I will suggest you look
Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #28

Sorry, got interrupted, I will suggest you look at an RV Awning or even a RV casita and get a smaller length RV. This would give you a hybrid that has enough room for full time living and a smaller footprint while on the road. Look at the classified for sale section on this forum for some examples of RV Casitas or RV Docking Port homes. Good luck.