Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #1

Moving to Mom's.. living in RV

Hi All,

So living in SoCal is wonderful and all, but the high price of houses is not, pretty much a half-million to start. The wife and I are moving to her mother's house who is at the age where she could use the help and company, we are in our late 40's. She wants us there but enjoys her house the way it is so this is our plan: We are going to buy a MH and move on to her property but live in the MH. The price of the MH payment will be 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a house and we get the bonus of being able to pull up at anytime and go on vacation. Eventually we will inherit her house.
We have had a 40 foot pad poured next to her house and I'm going to have a 50 amp power supply installed on the side of her house as well. I'm also going to get a potty-dolly to empty tanks into her sewer access (it's uphill).

Our top 3 RV choices are:
  • Thor Challenger 37KT (love that the front room closes off from the rest of the RV)
  • Thor Challenger 37YT
  • Winnebago Adventurer 38Q

This is our first RV purchase and DP's are a little over our price range. We plan on taking it out once a month/once every 2 months to enjoy SoCal, Arizona,Nevada etc.

I would enjoy any feedback you all may have, being on the set-up or rig choices or anything. Looking forward to enjoying the RV life.
kaboomski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

One thing I would say is that have you checked the local zoning codes to see if that is allowed? One pissed off neighbor and you could get slapped with a fine, looking for another location to put it and having to live in the house.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

I assume everything has been o.k'd by the town rules before living in the RV.

You could get a macerator for your sewage and it will pump uphill. Many do this.

I'd suggest you look for a high quality used RV rather than buying new. You'll save a lot of money and get a better RV. Look for one 2-5 yrs. old.

You didn't say where you will be living but having dual pane windows will help greatly in hot or cold temps. Also a covered underbelly with heat into it will save freezing of pipes in winter. In winter you'll go through a lot of propane for heat so consider a big tank rented from the local propane dealer.

Good luck...hope it works for you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The floor plan would be the most important factor to me.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #5

Luckily we live in Souther California so winterizing is not needed and for chilly nights we will probably use small space heaters run off the electricty, propane will only be used for cooking. Most all the houses have gates for RV storage and our neighbor has an RV stored right next to where we will be parked. We've already talked to them and they are fine with it.
kaboomski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

First consideration is the living area of whatever coach you get. Make sure you and everyone that will be in it can function on those days when you can't go outside for whatever reason.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

FYI - Do Not assume that it is legal to LIVE IN an RV just because it may be legal to park/store one there. Our local City Law allows parking, but outlaws living.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
FYI - Do Not assume that it is legal to LIVE IN an RV just because it may be legal to park/store one there. Our local City Law allows parking, but outlaws living.
Sorry if I was not clear, that is what I was referring to... living in it. Neighborhoods with half million dollar starting prices are not often kind to things like this. I am glad the one you spoke to was ok with it. But there is also the roaming code enforcement person that drives by and "notices" things.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I hope it goes well for all of you.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #10

Get a macerator unit with a dump hose from Camping World. You won't need the potty-dolly.
sbranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

I still think you should check on the town ordinances to make sure it is alright to LIVE in the RV first. Almost every neighborhood I've lived in had a self appointed busy body who made it their job to POLICE the neighborhood.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Southern CA is a big place. I lived in SoCA and in my neighborhood, you couldn't park an rv much less live in it. Best check the local zoning laws. Better safe than sorry
Old 10-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickelhead View Post
I still think you should check on the town ordinances to make sure it is alright to LIVE in the RV first. Almost every neighborhood I've lived in had a self appointed busy body who made it their job to POLICE the neighborhood.

I second that. Better safe than sorry when it comes to things like this
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:12 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My MH is parked in my driveway, but we do not live in it. I have a 30AMP hookup at the side of the house and in the summer if it gets really warm out we retreat to the MH, run out the slider and turn on the AC. If we loose power we can light off the generator and do the same. Homes here in the PNW generally aren't built with AC. I live in a rural county so nobody says much. There are four more neighbors with either 5th wheelers, or MHs parked in their driveways. We live on a dead end street so not many folks "patrolling" the area. Besides, we are generally out on the road traveling. That's what we bought our MH for in the first place.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote