Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 05:39 AM   #1

MPG suprise

Last year I averaged 7.6 MPG on a 7k trip out west. This year we are on a shorter trip mostly in the mid west, and the first tank netted me 7.3. Most of this was with the generator running and speed set at 63. The last tank we were driving on non interstate roads with a speed limit of 55 in comfortable weather without the generator running. I thought the fuel gauge was incorrect based on the previous fuel use. I stopped and it took on the amount of fuel I should have based on the gauge indication. When I calculated the mileage it worked out to 9.3. I did drive with the transmission set to 5th gear because of the lower average speed.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #2

Mileage significantly improves when at 55 MPH in an RV. We were driving from Arizona back to Texas and got caught in some early morning fog. My typical mileage is 9.8 running 65 - 67 but while driving back through west TX I was shocked that at 55 MPH i was getting 17.5 MPG!!
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On or ~14K mile trip to Alaska, we did not pull a toad (wish we did)!

I keep records and when I looked at the times I filled the tanks after driving +500 miles my range was 11.3 to 7.4. Most of the difference related to either location (mountains) or speed. When we were getting close to home I put the pedal to the metal and ultimately got one of the lowest mpg results.

I cut it close one time, put 110 gallons in and I only have 128 gallon tank, YIKES.

I have since installed a VMSpc which provides very accurate results. I can see real time as to my mpg and I can either take my foot off the pedal or just keep hammering down.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgomez1976 View Post
Mileage significantly improves when at 55 MPH in an RV. We were driving from Arizona back to Texas and got caught in some early morning fog. My typical mileage is 9.8 running 65 - 67 but while driving back through west TX I was shocked that at 55 MPH i was getting 17.5 MPG!!
I tried the 55 mph thing, and nothing changed. Your mileage will be most affected by stop and go city traffic, hills, and winds. I drove on one trip with a hefty tailwind and got great mileage. Not so on the way back.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #5

Not unusual , I get my best mileage where my speed limit while towing is limited to 55 ; well actually I push to 58 to get into 6th gear. 9.5 , most other places low 8s.

As mentioned , route , stop/go, and your right foot make the difference between good and poor mileage.

Some reading on the subject ;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat_RV_Performance.pdf (246.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I can add a extra 20 gallons by leaning my MH...using one tank to figure MPG can be way off. The Aladdin computed MPG is very accurate in my 04 Dynasty so I did a 100 mile test at 45...got 10 instead of the normal 7 at 65.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey if yo are worried about MPG's then sell it and fly. It's all about the trip, the scenery and enjoying this Great USA. Stop and smell the roses sometime, get off the main drag and enjoy the quaint little towns with the great places to eat and see. Go see some national parks and places you normally only read about. Have you been to 4 Corners, what about the Petrified Forest, how about Hoover Dam, What about London Bridge or Mall of America, have you seen the Bean, Mt. Rushmore, The Snake River. I could go on and on but remember it's about the drive and scenery, if you are going that fast then you will miss it.
Slow down, you aren't getting any younger
Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I can add a extra 20 gallons by leaning my MH...using one tank to figure MPG can be way off.

Amen !, Filling from the drivers side ( vs pass side) will get approx 10 gals more , into the fuel tank on my F/L chassis . Then there's the foam from the truck stop high flow pumps , vs the regular vehicle pump.
When the nozzle clicks off ...it isn't always consistently filled.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgomez1976 View Post
West Texas always has a 40mph West wind.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
I tried the 55 mph thing, and nothing changed. Your mileage will be most affected by stop and go city traffic, hills, and winds. I drove on one trip with a hefty tailwind and got great mileage. Not so on the way back.
The outboard computer does not lie, unless I have the first ever!! LOL I have an F-550 with the 6.7 diesel and 6 speed Super C and she will fly if I put my foot into it.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote