Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Ok, I will give it a shot. Thanks for everybody's input. My next fill up will be at Murphy USA. My coach is 32 foot and I believe I should be able to maneuver to the pump.
The thing you need to do is buy from a place that turns the fuel over often(sells a bunch)..if you do that you'll be fine.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Kroger

It's tight so I go late or very early. Get points (money) off from buying groceries. Never less than .3 cents with Kroger card and have had up to $1.00 off per gal for first 30 gal. We buy lots of groceries. 38' Monaco DP. Mike
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #17

used them many, many times in 24 months and 50k miles - same fuel as anywhere else, though many times several cents cheaper, and additional cents off with Wmt credit card use.
I typically scout out the station well ahead of time, with google maps overview, to know which entrance to use. Some are laid out very well, most are very, very tight and only a single entrance/exit. I have many times blocked other vehicles because our toad was attached, or the length of the pump area is short. I've also detached and backed in on a few occasions.
The fuel station is there to use, don't worry or fret just because you are longer than most. I've never seen a truck with a long trailer have to make excuses to use their pumps, and neither should we, though using the station at less than high traffic times is certainly easier on everyone.

I'd like to see them provide an END pump for 'Diesel Only' usage...

Now, if we can just convince 'ol Mr Sam Walton to build more acreage for their stations, we'd be sittin' pretty : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have bought diesel from Wal-Mart many times without any problems!
Same here. But I will never fill at a station where they are currently filling from a tanker. I have no evidence, but I have to think that when they are filling, they are also raising sediment.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BTW...using the Walmart card that gives you up to $.10/gallon off can be a loosing move. I use my Sam's card along with Discover & Chase (during their special quarters) that gives 5% off. Any time you use these buy fuel at or greater than $2 a gallon you beat $.10/gallon. I've seen Walmart go as high as $.15/gal and then, of course, the break even for me is $3/gal.

Just something to think about.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Same here. But I will never fill at a station where they are currently filling from a tanker. I have no evidence, but I have to think that when they are filling, they are also raising sediment.

Good point! The filters they have in the filler hoses are supposed to stop that, but why take a chance!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Good point! The filters they have in the filler hoses are supposed to stop that, but why take a chance!

How do you know tanker didn't JUST leave
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
EV2

Obviously you don't, but it takes about 15 minutes for the delivery person to remove the nozzle, store the hose, obtain the delivery signature paperwork, etc. the moisture and crap settles below the pickup rather quickly, so if the tractor is gone you are much safer than while it is actually dumping. That is a real fact.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txice View Post
It's tight so I go late or very early. Get points (money) off from buying groceries. Never less than .3 cents with Kroger card and have had up to $1.00 off per gal for first 30 gal. We buy lots of groceries. 38' Monaco DP. Mike
We're BIG fans of fueling at Kroger too! It's our "go to" fueling station when we're home. Virtually every trip ends with a stop to refuel there. The Kroger points card definitely saves some money.

Fortunately for us, the fuel station at our nearby Kroger store is a recent addition - so the fuel station itself is pretty roomy and presents no problems in terms of maneuvering our ccoach. However, I've got to drive though grocery store portion of the parking lot (which isn't quite as new and spacious). I've got to drive right up one of the rows of car/pickup truck parking - in order to enter the fuel station at the proper angle. It's not an overly tight squeeze ... BUT, the looks I get as I tool through the lot makes it pretty clear that few people expect there will be a 44 foot long bus sneaking up behind them while they're pushing their shopping cart out to their car! I happened upon a friend while coming through the lot one day ... ya just gotta love those air horns!!!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The Gasbuddy app is my friend, I use it all the time. Most of the time Pilot/flyingJ/loves are more than a few cents.... usually 10 to 15 cents more than other stations in the area. Two weeks ago on my way back from Denver a truck stop in Amarillo two mile east of the pilot station was 20 cents a gallon less. I also recon fuel stops on google earth.... it gets down closer that google maps

When filling a 100 gals 10 cents a gallon is $10, over the course of a trip that adds up.

Bill
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I've also used Murphy's without problem - though some I have passed because towing and concern about getting out easily. I also use gas buddy and find that Flying J and other truck facilities are as much as 25 cents a gallon above Murphy or some other stations.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #26
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
Obviously you don't, but it takes about 15 minutes for the delivery person to remove the nozzle, store the hose, obtain the delivery signature paperwork, etc. the moisture and crap settles below the pickup rather quickly, so if the tractor is gone you are much safer than while it is actually dumping. That is a real fact.
Unless I saw the delivery truck JUST pull in, or he is still pulling out the hoses, I avoid any station with a tanker truck parked at the tanks. In a former lifetime I ran a gasoline station and heard too many stories about sediment and water being stirred up. Whether or not they are true, I lean towards cautious.

We did have a water leak in one of our tanks once. A couple of cars filled up, drove a couple of blocks, then died. It was not pretty. We shut down ASAP. The oil company had to replace the in ground tank. The point is, that the water will set on the bottom since it is heavier than the fuel. If stirred up, it can be pulled into the pump intake. It's not pretty.

By the time the delivery truck leaves, chances are pretty good that things have settled back down. You take your chances and hope for the best.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #27

Murphy diesel fuel.

Never had a problem with tankers dumping. Hey, the MH and the pumps have filters. What, me worry?
I love Murphys, Kroger, all of the same across the country. Our collection of club cards is about 2 inches thick!
I gotta hand it to you guys, cuz many folks do truck stops out of fear in maneuvering. Not me! I love the extra cha-ching that stays in my pocket.
I have saved up to 42c per gallon (yes, $42 per 100 gallons) over the trucks stops. What some call "convenience" or "easier" is not often so. I do get a kick out of the ones that need to avoid the TS sludge with hospital footies!
Happy trails

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #28

Evergreen Owners Club
I buy Sam diesel all the time!
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel