Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clenz View Post
Ok - I've been lurking in here for awhile and dreaming about the RV lifestyle vicariously through your experiences. All this time I've been warming up the DW for the idea of getting an RV when the kids are gone. She has not been an easy sell.
Right now are taking the middle daughter to college at Texas A&M (from Chicago) and I did convince her renting an RV would be a good option. I wanted everyone to have a good experience, so the rig had to be nice - very nice, or I could blow her whole perception
We found RV Share and a rental unit 15 mins from our house. A 2017 Holiday Rambler Endeavor XE39G - wow. It was expensive, and I was a bit apprehensive never driving an RV before. However, it was important that it was a diesel, and somewhat high end.
All I can say was we have been blown away. The RV rental guy was amazing. He has everything ready for us - tools, towels, dishes, chairs. Everything went very smoothly and beyond my expectations.
We are sitting at Graceland RV Park, in the middle of Elvis week, on our way to Texas and having a blast. No problems with the drive or setup.
If you are early in the decision process and trying to decide if an RV is right for you, I highly recommend renting a higher level unit from a personal owner on RV Share. We are already pointing out what we need/want when we shop for the Tiffin/Newmar/Entegra. To rent a newer higher end model is expensive, but worth it to know for sure what you want.
The new Entegra Cornerstone parked next to us is not helping the conversation [emoji7]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
One downside to renting an RV to "test the experience" is that your getting a "entry-level" RV. I considered going that route too, but didn't want to spoil the experience of "glamor-camping" by renting somethign crappy. When I checked my area, there were no "high-end" motorhomes being offered for rent. And nothing over 32ft.

Like testing the "hotel vacation experience" by staying with family for a week at a "Motel 6".

Did you read the OP's comment about a higher level unit?
Farkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Start saving your money those are really expensive
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #17

Thanks for the comments all.

It was important that we did not rent a crappy rig. I just wouldn't bother would the standard RVs generally available. I also wanted to see if a diesel was worth it.
One nice thing about renting from an owner is that he has everything stocked that we need, and wouldn't have thought to bring.
Made it to Texas tonight with no issues. Only frustrations are with GPS getting me into some tough spots. I'll have to double check the settings for the RV config.
Clenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

It was important that we did not rent a crappy rig. I just wouldn't bother would the standard RVs generally available. I also wanted to see if a diesel was worth it.
One nice thing about renting from an owner is that he has everything stocked that we need, and wouldn't have thought to bring.
Made it to Texas tonight with no issues. Only frustrations are with GPS getting me into some tough spots. I'll have to double check the settings for the RV config.
We use 2 and occasionally 3 different GPS's, especially when were are in places unfamiliar.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
We use 2 and occasionally 3 different GPS's, especially when were are in places unfamiliar.
+2. I always verify the GPS with Google Maps and/or a paper map. We use the truckers map book as it has low clearance and weight restrictions. The night before we travel to a new or unknown area I check GPS route and then look at it on Google Maps and the paper map. We have too many funny (since we survived them) GPS fails trusting GPS 100%.

Glad your trip is a success. It is easy to catch the RV bug!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #20

Glad you are enjoying yourself. Looks like you have been bitten by the motorhome bug. Long live the king.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #21

Great Post OP. Glad you've been smitten. Looking forward to further experiences on your trip...
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:22 AM   #22

Glad you are enjoying the RV life. It is addicting. Smart to rent. I echo the other comments about your first RV not likely ending up to be your last. Just plan so you can upgrade or change to a more livable floorplan for your needs, after you get more experience with your first RV. It happens to all of us. We get our first great deal on an RV and a few years later we already wish we had X, Y and Z and definitely NOT A and B. enjoy! This site is great for advice and help.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

What GPS are you using? Something that came with the RV (or your smart phone)? Those GPS units designed for RV use will usually have a setting where you enter coach height, weight, length then the navigation program routes you around low bridges and narrow roads, and such.

Did you have any trouble figuring out how everything works on the coach?
I have had my coach for almost a year and still am learning how it all works (leveling system, Inverter, Generator, Slides, Water system, dumping tanks, etc.) these are complicated machines.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #24

Well we made it back from a great one week trip. The only bummer was that one of the tires was damaged - I must have hit a curb when I got in one of those tight spots. Took a chunk out of the sidewall so that will set me back $900 for a new tire. I really only remember running over one small curb, but unfortunately can't say I inspected all the tires before leaving.
Overall it was still a very enjoyable experience. We stayed at one resort in Nashville that was really nice. A few of the other parks were not impressive.
Pros: drove well, comfortable living and sleeping, easy setup (mostly thanks to what I learned in this forum), air condition kept up in southern Texas
Cons: some rough rides - lots of rattling and rough bumps which surprised me with the air suspension, lack of some amenities like 1/2 bath, cost (especially with tire), crappy GPS that did not keep me out of areas that an RV should avoid
I'm not sure if this turned the DW off because of the rough ride or convinced her we need a higher end model...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180823_170429.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	216160
Clenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:52 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clenz...$900 for one tire? What size is that?

I run Michelins 22.5 and pay about $500.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #26

Rough ride and rattles on a DP? Finally someone who admits they are not the be all end all. I’ll stick to my quiet smooth riding gasser. Thanks so much. A rough road is a rough road no matter what you drive.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Rough ride and rattles on a DP? Finally someone who admits they are not the be all end all. I’ll stick to my quiet smooth riding gasser. Thanks so much. A rough road is a rough road no matter what you drive.
All suspensions have their limitations..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
He mentioned tiffin, newmar and entegra. In their market segment they are ALL second to none. Those are beautiful rigs. You're driving a Foretravel, which is in the Prevost, newell segment, but Newmar is closing that Gap with the King air and Essex. I think he mentioned the top 3 and he did a good job at it. It's obvious he did his homework. Those three brands offer a lot of variety, Not everybody wants to drive a 45 footer. I know we don't. We looked hard for a 40 footer, but most 40 footers don't come with a 450 Hp engine, so we "Had" to settle for a 42 footer. And wow we love it. Don't get me wrong we love Foretravel and Prevost and Newell and American coach, but 45 footers are not our thing right now and then of course there is the Floorplan. lol.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rental