Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
Correct!
I want to extend to the OP a supportive hand.

Reading some of these replies has me embarassed and feeling the need to separate myself from the naysayers who seem to be burned by the sunlight of truth.

I have owned 2 Diesels (still have my second one - 5.9L in a big ol'Dodge 3500, DWR, 4x4, Crew!) and concur with the OP that these wonderful machines come with a price tag...at purchase and for maint.

To say that the OP was and might still be an easy mark for rip off is insulting. Please...give it a rest.

So, back to the OP and original question...heck yes, a new gas powered RV might be a very nice upgrade from an old(er) Diesel.

Best luck to the OP and safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #44

CAT2000 - Yup complex expensive vehicles cost lots to keep in good shape. My intercooler replacement last spring cost 5 times as much as yours to fix. At 12 years old I really like our motorhome. IMHO our motorhome is one of the best ones ever made. If you still really like your motorhome and feel the same way about it as I do ours then keep it if you can afford the repairs. If you don't get something you do love.

Bounders are great motorhomes. We have several friends with gas ones and DP ones.

Before buying another coach you might consider getting the help of the RVCG with regards to quality. They are not perfect but do a good job of estimating motorhome build quality. At least I found them to be very accurate.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If we were spending that much per year I's get rid of it, but I've had a hard time spending $10,000 over the 12 years we've had ours. But I do my own maintenance too, but if I counted the $4,000+ my insurance paid for a new awning and paint I might have averaged $1,000 a YEAR. That's new tires included.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post

Well, somebody from Avon. My coach is stored in Avon. Family in Sheffield Lake.

Where do you winter your coach? indoors, rental lot, driveway.

Do you weekend camp anywhere? Who knows, maybe we could keep tabs this coming season and possibly meet and greet.
We did have it stored at the RV Spa in Elyria on Oberlin Elyria rd. We just sold everything and moved out. We no fulltime. We've been in Tucson since October, and will be in Medina for the Summer. We are long the dream!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
I think if you want to make move go to a newer DP, in the same cost range as the Bounder.
I drove several gas coaches and disliked all of them the ride, noise & braking power.

If you keep yours once a year or 12,000miles on oil etc should be fine.

Learn to do some work yourself to know it's done right and save $$

New coaches have issues to read the Palazzo threads, some of those have been in the shop more than the road.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Time to trade, if you're chasing those types of problems. Your probably not going to get much for your trade, but those kind of headaches....ruins your experience. Plus the coach sounds like it is in the shop an awful lot.

As to new gas versus diesel...I might look at a 5-6 year old Newmar rom a reputable source, but at this point, the glitz of new and a warrantee may be be a more pleasurable experience. Might stretch your budget, but Berkshire makes a good entry level DP, and I hear good things about Forest River service and construction. Their coaches looked pretty good at Tampa.

Good luck with your choice.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I think if you want to make move go to a newer DP, in the same cost range as the Bounder. I drove several gas coaches and disliked all of them the ride, noise & braking power. If you keep yours once a year or 12,000miles on oil etc should be fine. Learn to do some work yourself to know it's done right and save $$ New coaches have issues to read the Palazzo threads, some of those have been in the shop more than the road.
I realize once a year oil changes is a more reasonable way then the two I am doing and I also realize my coach is 14 years old and crap is going to happen as it gets older. As for working on these issues that I have had other then the oil changes on a diesel or any coach is next to impossible unless you have a shop and the right tools and know how other wise you are at the mercy of the service centres.

Removing the bedroom slide and repairing leak was a big job took two weeks.

The service light issue which led to the ECM then the seized turbo and I forgot to mention the damn computer that runs your dash went as well took a total period of 3 months from the first repair shop to the third by the time it was all replaced and repaired.

Awnings and toppers, yes maybe I could have done those but I make more money doing what I do then trying to struggle with those and you need at least two people.

Rad and inter cooler, no way you can do that yourself, I looked at it and even if I had the shop, tools and time it's the know how to get it all out the back and again you need two people.

Same with brakes and bearings, just to get at back beaks the inner rims were seized and the biggest air tools couldn't remove them, so heat and a huge sledge hammer did the deed but destroyed the steel rims.

The oil pan probably could have done that but what do you do with 5 gallons of dirty oil in your driveway and snap a pan bolt... No thanks! The the pan still cost $900! Muffler need torches.

These are not little jobs for the DIYers for the most part. I learned a long time ago that to stick with what I know and I know the even though it's cost me a lot over the years to keep this kitten purring I have made more doing what I do then trying to do it myself. Believe me every issue I had I researched it out and that's why now I know what to look for and what things should cost.

I'll give you a few examples, how many of you know the cause of going up a slight grade around 2000 rpm and you start experiencing a hard jerking thought the power train like the power is cutting in and out for a split second or two?

How many of you know that the Cat engine has a blow by tube that hangs down between the engine block and rear inter cooler and rad and that a oily, greasy type exhaust if you will comes out and gets blown through the inter cooler and rad mixed with road grit! Unless you extend the tube this is what can happen!

How many of you know that it takes most shops 8 hours to get rad and inter cooler out and another 8 back in @ an average of $110.00 per hour?

How many of you know the dash has a computer to run your gauges?

Just a few things I learned.
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Time to trade, if you're chasing those types of problems. Your probably not going to get much for your trade, but those kind of headaches....ruins your experience. Plus the coach sounds like it is in the shop an awful lot. As to new gas versus diesel...I might look at a 5-6 year old Newmar rom a reputable source, but at this point, the glitz of new and a warrantee may be be a more pleasurable experience. Might stretch your budget, but Berkshire makes a good entry level DP, and I hear good things about Forest River service and construction. Their coaches looked pretty good at Tampa. Good luck with your choice.
I think it was time to trade 5 years ago! Like one poster said it's better to dance with the devil you know then the one you don't! I took that all the way! Lol

Not sure I want used again, I know new ones break but a good warranty is a big piece of mind!

They are offering $35,000 for mine.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 AM   #51

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2831384013.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	644.3 KB
ID:	54270 The rad! Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2978777995.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	633.6 KB
ID:	54271

And you can't see this as it is between the front of rad and inter cooler facing the engine, all you see from back of coach is front of rad which is clean.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I apologize for my prior comment ... After your further explanation I can only say I thought I was the one with the bad luck but I see you get that award ;-/ wow I certainly understand your desire to leave the holiday rambler in the dust ..
Just be careful .. 20 years is a long time .. Look at 1993 gas coaches now as to where you'll be if you keep the new gasser ! don't forget those payments even though the same will go on for 10 - 15 more? years than your current dp ... That's a lot o fixing!! But man I see your desire to be sure. Best of future luck in whatever you decide
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #53

Freightliner Owners Club
Cat 2000, thanks for the pictures. Our Cat engine has the extended blow tube and after seeing your plugged Rad I'm glad it does. I agree with you on trying to be a DIY on these machines. I work the cosmetics and surface problems, but if the problem is underneath it goes to the $110/hr shop. My mechanic friends understand the workings of the DP, but few have the tools, lifts, or facilities to do the work you had done. My condolences for sure. Living up north is terrible for storing an RV outside. Hopefully, you'll find inside storage for your new Bounder. If they give you $35,000 for it I say go for it.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
We did have it stored at the RV Spa in Elyria on Oberlin Elyria rd. We just sold everything and moved out. We no fulltime. We've been in Tucson since October, and will be in Medina for the Summer. We are long the dream!
Now, that's awesome. Carry on...
Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #55

CAT2000

Did they have to remove the back fiberglass cover from the coach to remove the rads?

My Cummins 5.9 rad side that faces the engine was just about as bad as yours. I have a nice access door below the bed and spent about three hours hosing the rad down with Simple Green and super hot water from one of those hand pump garden sprayers and got a good amount off.

I am tempted to use a more aggressive solution like Castrol Superclean and more super hot water to keep working at it. May even go as far as a pressure washer at a safe distance for quicker action.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
CAT2000 Did they have to remove the back fiberglass cover from the coach to remove the rads? My Cummins 5.9 rad side that faces the engine was just about as bad as yours. I have a nice access door below the bed and spent about three hours hosing the rad down with Simple Green and super hot water from one of those hand pump garden sprayers and got a good amount off. I am tempted to use a more aggressive solution like Castrol Superclean and more super hot water to keep working at it. May even go as far as a pressure washer at a safe distance for quicker action.
A few years back I had over heating climbing some hills on my way to Myrtle Beach I backed off the throttle and the temp dropped rapidly. When I got back I used a degreaser for restaurant kitchen vents, I used a garden sprayer like you and a power washer from the back of the coach at a distance. After 15 mins letting the degreaser work I had air coming through the rad fins and did not experience anymore over heating until last summer. My new mechanic did the work after pressure testing and seeing where coolant was coming out the rad had to come out. He didn't know if he would have to cut fibreglass or not but the next day it was out and sent me those picks, the intercooler was split right down the side as well. I had no idea the it was behind rad and even if I did and went through hutches in coach bedroom how the heck to you get it cleaned out between the to rads, not to mention the big fan shroud?

In answer to your question and sorry for going on here but he pulled it out the back and up, no cutting at all! I was impressed!