Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2023, 10:37 AM   #99

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
There are rettrobands that can be installed in the front tires. Be careful though. One on a forum reported that he purchased them, was given a special tool for removing them on the side of the road. Seven years later he purchased new tires and told the shop that he had retrobands. The shop showed him that they were never installed! If you opt for them, watch them being installed. If you think you will panic and not press the accelerator at first, but press the brake and try and turn to the side of the road, get them. Doing he later will flip you.
I find it challenging to believe that they were never installed. These are sold by and installed at NIRVC, the most trustworthy company in the entire RV industry. Could it have been an oversight ? Maybe, but not likely.

Be safe

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #100

I just bought 4 new tires for 2009 Monaco Knight 41. Bought them because I figure existing tires aged out at 7 years. I did a fairly extensive search; Goodyear, Michelin, Hankook, Toyo, Cooper and Falken. I bought Falkens for several reasons:
-Falken is owned by Sumitomo rubber, which provides rubber to many other tire manufacturers
-They are a very old, Japanese based company and have invested heavily in Falken tire technology
-Out of the group of tires manufactures I listed above they are the ONLY manufacturer that confirmed these tires would come from Japan. All the others were not US or Japan manufactured and said tires will come from China, vietnam, etc....you get the idea.
-Great price, actually bought on Amazon
If you have time I suggest you do a little investigation and come to your own conclusion
prichmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:02 PM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Well, it finally happened! After 11 years of driving the MH I had my first tire blow yesterday. I took the MH out for a little exercise since I hadn't driven it in a month or so. I was driving down a 4-lane highway when I heard what sounded like a shotgun blast, and felt the jolt. It was an inside tire on the rear so I didn't have any problem keeping it under control and coming to a stop completely off the pavement.

I was able to drive it home, VERY slowly! I couldn't hear any noise from the tire as I was driving, so don't know what condition it is in. This was just before dark so I just parked it on the concrete pad and locked it up for the night. I had to be at a doctor's clinic this morning for a lower back injection so haven't looked at it yet.

I don't really understand why it happened, since the tire was only 15 years old, as are the other tires on the rear! Yeah, I know! It was a dumb thing to do!

Now I gotta do a lot of research and shopping for four new tires. I bought Michelins for the front a while back and would like to stay with them, but those things are REALLY expensive. I would really appreciate hearing your opinions and experiences with less expensive tires. They are 295-80R-22.5.

First, I'm not sure if this is a joke or what? If it is not, "WHY" on earth would subject you and your family to the danger of riding around on 15 year old tires? Way past any manufactoring limits of safety. You are very fortunate that it wan't a front tire. I'm hoping that your fronts are not 15 years old also.
RuffingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:39 PM   #102
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike
I find it challenging to believe that they were never installed. These are sold by and installed at NIRVC, the most trustworthy company in the entire RV industry. Could it have been an oversight ? Maybe, but not likely.
Rettrobands have not been around for seven years, maybe half that. The person probably had Tyron Bands, which do require a special tool.

Ray
Old 04-03-2023, 04:38 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskyfeller View Post
You are very lucky my friend. Go with Michelin XRVs. You get what you pay for. I had a friend who put cheaper tires on his Bounder and after two blowouts he changed to Michelins. Man you have been lucky. Glad I didn't meet you on the highway.
I wouldn't have a Michelin RV tire if you gave them to me. I'm not forgetting that one of our forum members lost his life to a 3 month old Michelin XRV, due to rusted steel belts in the tire. A 3 month old tire.

Please read all 8 pages of just one thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/mich...-158256-4.html

Then google Michelin tire zipper-rip.
Buy what you will, but I, along with many others, will not be buying Michelin tires ever again.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:51 PM   #104

I had my first RV 38 years ago, was in the heavy truck business for about 10 years, voraciously read anything about trucks and RV's for years, and never heard mentioned any threads regarding tires aging out at 7 years, 8 years, 9 years etc, until I saw tire life blogs on RV sites. As I recall, tire life for coaches started, on some threads, at about 8-9 years. Anecdotal knowledge passed around has led to some postings indicating that within 5 years a tire has had it.

There are just too many factors to consider about the life expectancy of an RV tire before adding internet lore and friend of a friend conversations into the equation.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:36 PM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Toyo M144. My wife and I used Motothometires.com. We replaced all 8 tires last fall on our DS. They are a very smooth riding tire. They will not be undersold and the service we received was exceptional. Highly recommend!
Buddyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:30 PM   #106

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
MSHappyCampers..just curious..do you cover your tires when not on the road or setup at a campsite? If my coach it's rolling for any length of time my Michelins are always covered. I know I'm gonna hear some negative feedback but I got 16 years outta the rears & about 57k miles. The manager on the Tire shop couldn't believe how good the condition all 4 Michelin XRV's rear tires were in & had to bring some of his staff to see them. Not a single crack or abnormal signs of wear anywhere on them & told me I could've got more outta them (laughing) but it was time to retire them. Told him I treat them like a baby..once off the road their cleaned..dressed & covered! I also treat my single axle motorcycle trailer tires that tow behind the coach the same way.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:14 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post
Tire threads are as entertaining as oil threads!
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:36 AM   #108

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
50,000+ posts and he doesn't read or believe tire recommendations?
Beyond belief!!
Exactly what I was thinking. I also checked date to see if it was an April fools joke. If you want to risk killing yourself that’s one thing , but what would you feel like if you lost control and put someone else’s life at stake. Hate to beat up on you, but I think you have it coming to you for gambling like that.
Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:45 AM   #109

The Natives Are Restless!

Joe, you certainly have a way to stir up the natives. Lol.

Hers my take which is certainty in line with some but not with everyone’s thinking. I personally would probably never run tires as long as what’s being discussed here, but for somewhat slightly different reasons.

I will say that I think in a perfect world, tires could last much longer than what we think is long enough. That includes perhaps keeping them in a climate controlled facility that keeps light of them, etc. Also, not curbing the tires or running them low on air or overloading them may add life. But we all know these possibilities exist and they reduce tire life.

On my coach, changing out tires gives me piece of mind. I don’t want to worry every time I get on the road whether I will have a blowout. There are plenty of other things to worry about and I can strike tires off my list as a source of worry.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:46 AM   #110

I replaced all 6 of my 10 yr old Goodyear G670's with Hankook AH37's. They ride as quiet and smooth as the goodyear tires. I think they were 2/3 the price of the Michelin equivalents.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:15 PM   #111
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
There are rettrobands that can be installed in the front tires. Be careful though. One on a forum reported that he purchased them, was given a special tool for removing them on the side of the road. Seven years later he purchased new tires and told the shop that he had retrobands. The shop showed him that they were never installed! If you opt for them, watch them being installed. If you think you will panic and not press the accelerator at first, but press the brake and try and turn to the side of the road, get them. Doing he later will flip you.

Good evening Marc,

My name is Brett Davis, and I am the “Rett” in the Rettroband name, and my partner Rob Craig is the “Rob” in Rettroband. When coming up with a name for our patented product we started with “Brett and Rob” on a chalk board. We ended up dropping the B from my name, putting Rob’s name right after mine, and the “and” at the end. Why? Because you are allowed to trademark your own name.

Two quick points of clarification:

1. The product you are referring to is NOT our Rettroband product. Our product doesn’t require an additional tool.

2. Our Rettroband product has not be on the market for 7 years.

I do believe you are referring to Tyron bands, which do require an additional tool, and have been around for longer than 7 years. Below is a link to a video of our product, so you can see it doesn’t bear any resemblance to the Tryon band.

Onward,
Brett
https://youtu.be/qbWi2s7PXKo
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
BrettDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:40 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDavis View Post
Good evening Marc,

My name is Brett Davis, and I am the “Rett” in the Rettroband name, and my partner Rob Craig is the “Rob” in Rettroband. When coming up with a name for our patented product we started with “Brett and Rob” on a chalk board. We ended up dropping the B from my name, putting Rob’s name right after mine, and the “and” at the end. Why? Because you are allowed to trademark your own name.

Two quick points of clarification:

1. The product you are referring to is NOT our Rettroband product. Our product doesn’t require an additional tool.

2. Our Rettroband product has not be on the market for 7 years.

I do believe you are referring to Tyron bands, which do require an additional tool, and have been around for longer than 7 years. Below is a link to a video of our product, so you can see it doesn’t bear any resemblance to the Tryon band.

Onward,
Brett
https://youtu.be/qbWi2s7PXKo
Great video Brett. I saw the Rettroband display at the Vegas NIRVC. Very cool product and very impressive test. Thanks for posting the video.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire