RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

My insurance went up $800

Because I backed my pickup truck up and jackknifed my utility trailer that I forgot about because I couldn't see it in my mirrors. Filing insurance claim to replace truck fender - BAD move. It will cost me three times the repair bill in increased insurance payments over the next three years!
shoalsgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #2

All insurance companies will not hesitate to up your premium whenever you have a claim ; or any time they figure they will be in a lack of profit/ loss situation .

Have you heard from your health insurance company yet?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #3

I made one claim with Auto Owners after 10yrs they about doubled mine. Switched and got about same rate or less.I had turned over 25 and they never really dropped the rate on my Trans Am. I called my agent he was yeah forget them here's 10 more compaies. Loyalty with most companies is loosing money ,same at cable and dish.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoalsgary View Post
Because I backed my pickup truck up and jackknifed my utility trailer that I forgot about because I couldn't see it in my mirrors. Filing insurance claim to replace truck fender - BAD move. It will cost me three times the repair bill in increased insurance payments over the next three years!
Which insurance company are you with? Sounds like a State Farm move.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
All insurance companies will not hesitate to up your premium whenever you have a claim ; or any time they figure they will be in a lack of profit/ loss situation .

Have you heard from your health insurance company yet?
Medicare
shoalsgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #6

On the other side, I switched our MH insurance to Geico in May of 2018. The premium was half of what my previous company wanted after being with them for five years and they were going to bump it up with no claims. 10 days after switching to Geico, my full windshield cracked while sitting in an RV park in Denver. The bill was close to $3,000, plus I did not have to pay the $500 deductible. Now, 16 months later, my premium has not changed and still under $1,000 annual for great coverage on our 2013 Bus, less than half of any other company I checked with.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #7

Our insurance went up by over $400, no claims, no tickets, it just went up. When I called about it I was told many in the industry were raising their rates. Did some checking with other companies and Safeco for us was still the cheapest.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
How much do towing mirrors cost?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
How do you "forget" your towing a trailer? That's an accident waiting to happen and it did. What were you doing to jack knife a forgotten trailer, had to be backing for some reason.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
The word is "shop". Do not be loyal to an insurance company, it will get get you nothing. Problem is, now that you have had a claim, everyone in the insurance industry knows it. They all have access to a data base and your accident has been input into it.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:50 AM   #11

I had USAA for a long time. I called to get towed once and they would not provide the tow because I was more than 50' from a major road. I was off a long driveway about 10'. They raised my rate because of the NO COST claim I filed. Went to Progressive for the best rate.
Always shop around for the best deal at least every two years as a minimum.

I have National General on the coach and last year they replaced both windshields. This year my rate did not increase.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #12

Rates go up because a company sees increased claims in general, and wants to maintain their profit - often had nothing to do with you.

My guess - with all the increased numbers of new/inexperienced RV drivers this summer with the surge of RV sales ... next year insurance rates will go up for most of us ...
Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
I had USAA for a long time. I called to get towed once and they would not provide the tow because I was more than 50' from a major road. I was off a long driveway about 10'. They raised my rate because of the NO COST claim I filed. Went to Progressive for the best rate.
Always shop around for the best deal at least every two years as a minimum.

I have National General on the coach and last year they replaced both windshields. This year my rate did not increase.
I've had USAA for over 20 years, and have never had a rate increase because of a claim. And I don't believe that USAA determines the parameters of the tow. They just call the tow company and the rest is up to the tower. I have bypassed calling USAA entirely for a tow, and just got reimbursed.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The word is "shop". Do not be loyal to an insurance company, it will get get you nothing. Problem is, now that you have had a claim, everyone in the insurance industry knows it. They all have access to a data base and your accident has been input into it.
+1 There is no such thing as loyalty to an insurance company- always go out on bid and see if you can find a better deal or better coverage for the same amount.

If you store your unit for part of the year near a "high class" municipality you could consider housing it in "the sticks" where the rates could be much lower.

Just recently we bought a home in Fort Myers FL and put the RV in storage about 3 miles away from home. When I was getting ready to renew I told the insurance company the new location address and they immediately raised by EXISTING rate for the last 20 days of it's term... Car got the same hit.... all due to location.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance