RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

My latest mod

I unwinterized my motorhome this past weekend and quickly remembered how much trouble I had winterizing it. I couldn't figure out how to bypass the water heater so I had to fill it with antifreeze. As I went to drain it and had 2 five gallon buckets under it trying to catch most of it, I remembered I wanted to rig up a hose and valve. As you see in my pictures this will allow me to drain the water heater back into the gallon jugs or easily drain it in a 5 gallon bucket without the mess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170515_204026.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	161953Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170515_204033.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	161954
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

JMHO: Take some time and repair/replace the by-pass system , the water heater, after being filled with RV A/F will smell for months.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

I don't think I can "fix" the bypass. I have a valve that says water heater bypass but only one valve. When I researched it it sounds like this wasnt uncommon. No one seemed to have a good solution outside ripping a wall apart and replumbing it and this solution is much easier and cheaper.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What "solution" are you looking for? A single valve system for winterizing the WH couldn't be easier; that's why it's common. You simply turn the valve to bypass. That prevents water/antifreeze from entering the WH from the "cold" side; and a built-in check valve prevents any backflow into the WH from the "hot" side.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
What "solution" are you looking for? A single valve system for winterizing the WH couldn't be easier; that's why it's common. You simply turn the valve to bypass. That prevents water/antifreeze from entering the WH from the "cold" side; and a built-in check valve prevents any backflow into the WH from the "hot" side.
Then my check valve must be junk because as I pumped antifreeze in it didn't matter how the water heater bypass lever was in. It came out the water heater.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #6

Yeah, replace your bypass if you can.

The drain is still a good mod. I like it.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #7

Anyone know what my problem could be then?

When I winterized it last year. I reached in and flipped the water heater bypass ball valve. I started pumping antifreeze in via hot and cold water faucets and and it was dumping it out of the waterheater as fast as it was pumping in. I stopped and flipped the bypass ball valve thinking that I had it in the wrong position. started pumping again and again antifreeze coming out of the water heater.

on my old travel trailer I had a valve to turn off the hot water. a valve to turn off the cold water and a valve to open that mixed the hot and cold water lines by the water heater. This made sure I could winterize without filling the water heater. I thought it was odd that this system only had one valve. I couldn't figure it out and decided that i would just have to fill the water heater. That spurred this mod as I knew dumping the antifreeze was going to be a pain.

Even if it did work I probably would still do this mod as screwing the plug into the water heater wasn't any fun as its just barely reachable.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #8

162116[/ATTACH]

Here is my wh bypass turn the valves on the right off and the valve on the left on. This prevents water from going into or out of the wh.

Photo is upside down for some reason..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160807_193717.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	162116  
Old 05-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #9

That's how my old travel trailer was. Close the 2 valves and open the 3rd. My motorhome just had a single ball valve.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
I unwinterized my motorhome this past weekend and quickly remembered how much trouble I had winterizing it. I couldn't figure out how to bypass the water heater so I had to fill it with antifreeze. As I went to drain it and had 2 five gallon buckets under it trying to catch most of it, I remembered I wanted to rig up a hose and valve. As you see in my pictures this will allow me to drain the water heater back into the gallon jugs or easily drain it in a 5 gallon bucket without the mess.

Attachment 161953Attachment 161954

I like the mod, it looks well done.
It is a much cleaner way to empty the tank when needed
Old 05-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I like the mod, it looks well done.
It is a much cleaner way to empty the tank when needed
Thank you. I like it regardless how the winterizing is done. I have an outside shower that's in a horrible place in my wet bay but it's kinda half behind a wall and not easily accessible. No if I need a little hot water while I'm outside I can pull from here. I don't anticipate this being a huge hit or something I use a lot. But never having to screw in one of those plastic plugs every time I want to drain this is well worth the 10 bucks in parts and 20 mins of time it took to do it.

Tags
test