Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

My new 04 Four Winds Infinity motorhome

Hello all, I’m new to this forum and new to owning a motorhome. I have a few questions that hopefully you all can help me answer. Well first off I bought an 04 four winds infinity motorhome from a friend knowing that it’s been sitting for a while and needs a little tic. On the drive home I had the calipers lock up on me and had to have it towed to the dealer. I later found out that that model had a recall for the calipers doing the exact thing that occurred. Unfortunately workhorse only covered the calipers and not the other damage that occurred (rotors, sensors, pads, and brake lines) . On top of all that it was in desperate need of new tires. I also knew it had a hydraulic leak for the leveling system. The shop is now in the process of fixin all that and I was told that the hydraulic pump was wired wrong because the pump turns on when you turn on the pump switch. He said it should only come on when you actuate a leveler/pop out. Is this correct? Was also wondering what else I can expect from this motorhome sitting. Forgot to mention it only has 9k miles on it. Thanks in advance for everyone’s help.
Tommyr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #2

My new 04 Four Winds Infinity motorhome

A 13 year old motor home with only 9,000 miles? Ouch. Get out your checkbook.

Plan on replacing everything that is rubber. Sitting that long without being driven on a regular basis means that all the rubber hoses and seals will have dried out and rotted. Same for slide and window seals.

You should change all the fluids (engine oil and coolant, generator oil and coolant, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid) and filters (oil, air and fuel) as a minimum.

Batteries? If they are original, they will all need replaced, too.

I hope you bought it cheap because you're going to spend several thousand dollars on this rig over the next few months.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Did you have a reputable RV professional check out the coach before you bought it?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #5

I am a mechanic. The only reason I had a shop take care of the brake work was because I was in transit and it was so far from home. Thought I catch a break with it havin the caliper recall but I was wrong.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 AM   #6

Battery’s are new. I plan on changing all fluids and yes I got an amazing deal on it.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #7

I’d also like to know a good website to buy parts. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
A 13 year old motor home with only 9,000 miles? Ouch. Get out your checkbook.

Plan on replacing everything that is rubber. Sitting that long without being driven on a regular basis means that all the rubber hoses and seals will have dried out and rotted. Same for slide and window seals.

You should change all the fluids (engine oil and coolant, generator oil and coolant, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid) and filters (oil, air and fuel) as a minimum.

Batteries? If they are original, they will all need replaced, too.

I hope you bought it cheap because you're going to spend several thousand dollars on this rig over the next few months.
I gave 7800 for a 91 HR Imperial 37 fter that sat for I don't know how long and whose seller lied out her teeth and whose buyer knew nothing other than it basically looked good.
Amazingly, I made it home from Plano, TX to OKC and later to a shop upon which time as you stated, the rubber brake lines literally crumbled in the guys fingers!!
I've spent about 3600 on engine and parts, labor and new needs mechanically. Shocks, stuts, etc. Strong, well running engine however.
I've spent maybe 300 remodeling the interior to my tastes and 400 for a plumber to fix a few leaks in the kitchen sink, change out the faucet and cap off the bathroom lines so I could remove that and its cabinet for space.
I still have the cost of 3-5 batteries and some sort of generator and tires all around before I can try out my first real trip.
Knowing I don't have to make payments for years on end: Priceless
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #9

Nice to hear of someone in the same boat. I paid 8k for this one and it’s not in bad shape at all. The tires were crazy expensive. I’m hoping I won’t have too many issues with all the rubber on this thing especially considering it’s been kept indoors most of its life.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #10

Well if you only paid 8 grand for a 04 MH you could spend a few grand on it and still be in good shape on it. You can almost figure on tires and brakes on any MH you buy. Most of the time MH only go up for sale after they have sat unused for a few years. Lots of them out there that don't really get used much after the new wears off.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyr1k View Post
Nice to hear of someone in the same boat. I paid 8k for this one and it’s not in bad shape at all. The tires were crazy expensive. I’m hoping I won’t have too many issues with all the rubber on this thing especially considering it’s been kept indoors most of its life.
Like how crazy expensive? I've heard at least 1800?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #12

$2700 for 6 tires size 245/75r22.5 I believe they overcharged me for these but unfortunately my equipment at my shop won’t do that size and they were ready to blow. As I stated earlier I was trying to get her home but the brakes didn’t allow that
Old 10-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Depends on the brand of tire. Might be slightly high but not too bad for 6 G or H rated tires.
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

That’s good to hear. Does anyone know of a good website to get parts for these things?

Tags
motorhome, four winds