Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

My new tires smell like a flipping hog lot.. what to replace them with?

Back in June 2015 I put 6 new toyos on my mh.. since then I have fought the dead rat,hog lot, manure smell..it fills the whole mh and you can't stand to be in there... I have to leave the windows open year round, the hotter it gets the worse it smells.. when we do get to use it I keep candles burning to try and over power the stench .. so my question is.. what tires would you recommend me buying to replace these? They only have about 2k miles on them.. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had a set of Toyo's on my 1 ton Dodge and when they were new they smelled like that.
I never got very good mileage out of them either.
I'm not bashing Toyo, I have ran alot of them over the years and considered them to be really good tires. Just not that set.

I have heard of others complain of the smell and like mine I think it went away after a few miles.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I had a set of Toyo's on my 1 ton Dodge and when they were new they smelled like that.
I never got very good mileage out of them either.
I'm not bashing Toyo, I have ran alot of them over the years and considered them to be really good tires. Just not that set.

I have heard of others complain of the smell and like mine I think it went away after a few miles.
I just had a set put on and they don't smell--at least not yet. I'd have thought any lingering odor would have dissipated since he bought the tires in 2015.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you spoken with Toyo? Multiple folks have had similar experience. Toyo is likely aware and maybe will do something to help you out.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

My new tires smell like a flipping hog lot.. what to replace them with?

I have contacted them 3 times. The first time they pretty much told me .. too bad.. the second time was through Facebook and they told me there was nothing they could do... told me to contact the dealer.. I did.. he gave me the old.. well.. I've never heard of that before...
the third time I called they actually opened a case and are "seeing " if there is anything they can do.. still waiting on the call back.. it's only been a couple of days since I last spoke with them.. I'm getting rid of them somehow somewhere.. I want to know what to buy so I don't have this issue anymore..
Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
...I want to know what to buy so I don't have this issue anymore..
My new Michelins never smelled, other than the usual rubber smell.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
Back in June 2015 I put 6 new toyos on my mh.. since then I have fought the dead rat,hog lot, manure smell..it fills the whole mh and you can't stand to be in there... I have to leave the windows open year round, the hotter it gets the worse it smells.. when we do get to use it I keep candles burning to try and over power the stench .. so my question is.. what tires would you recommend me buying to replace these? They only have about 2k miles on them.. Thanks
My toYo m154's never smelled
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

Mine did for about a year. It's smells for sure
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran across this before. I know the smell your talking about but for the life of me I cant remember what tires on what vehicle. God, it was awful! It is something similar to why craftsman screw driver and nut driver handles smell like barf. It has to do with one of the chemicals in it and as it degrades, it gets worse. I kid you not, google craftsman screwdriver stink and you will get tons of info. Im sure its a similar chemical because the tires smell similarly. I have a set of craftsman nut drivers that stink more after owning them for 30 years than the day I bought them!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I know what you're talking about on those screw drivers. It about knocks me over when I open one of my small tool boxes. I haven't noticed that with my newer set of Craftsman screw drivers though.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #11

You were just unlucky enough to get a set of these smelly tires. I've had the same thing happen with a set of truck tires many years ago, the smell did go away for the most part, but because they were on an OTR truck, the smell didn't mater much.

I would sell that set, probably easy at a truck stop, and just buy another set of TOYO's.
It's not the Manufacture that's bad, it's something that happened with that certain batch of tires.

It might be a little difficult, but try to separate the smelly ones from the normal, unless you got a full set of the stinky ones.

Good luck on getting the manufacture to help out with replacement, you may just get lucky on that but I'm sure they wont just roll over a new set with out you paying something.

In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to just sell them to a trucker who is in the market for some fresh rubber, the smell won't matter.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #12

Are you absolutely sure it is the tires that are causing the smell? Or, could it be a leaking axle fluid smell or a brake hanging up in the rear?
Put a picture of your MH on here so none of us parks next to you.
Lynn
Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #13

Name:   IMG_1082.JPG
Views: 3265
Size:  41.5 KB
Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Are you absolutely sure it is the tires that are causing the smell? Or, could it be a leaking axle fluid smell or a brake hanging up in the rear?
Put a picture of your MH on here so none of us parks next to you.
Lynn
It's the tires.
Three years ago, I stopped at a L.S dealer on my way south, and had a pair of Toyo's installed on the "steer"(no pun intended ) axle, that stunk right from the get go. I did'nt like the balance on them, so stopped at the same store on my return trip, and they decided to change both out.
I now have all 8 Toyo's, and none stink like that first pair!

Tags
ace, replace, smell, tires