RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #1

My upgrades, additions and changes

I've started a "living" thread with all my changes, additions, etc to our 2021 Jayco Precept 34G. I was asked/suggested I post a link here for all to reference if interested vs a "repeat" of the same information.

Hope the info helps someone.

My Link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

thx Mark
mkassab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #2

Hey Mark,

Nice work. Good to see you're thinking through all these things ahead of time.

I spent a year and a half getting our rig ready before FTing years ago. Pages and pages of maintenance items and upgrades inside and out. Best thing I ever did.

Since you welcomed any comments on your Jayco page heres my 2 cents on these two items you mentioned:
1) Car tow dolly and the car. Over time I think youll find this to be a big hassle. Weve had many friends who started out this way too BUT.Towing 4 down is the only way to go for so many reasons. Especially as you get older.

2) Instead of a surge protector Id get an EMS.

Good luck my friend.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback.

On your #1 comment, 4 down vs dolly.... can you provide some of thoughts on the pros of 4 down and cons of the dolly?

thx Mark
Old 12-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
Hey Mark,

Nice work. Good to see you're thinking through all these things ahead of time.

.... 2) Instead of a surge protector Id get an EMS.

Good luck my friend.
Regarding #2.... my surge protector is an EMS. When you read my thread, you'll see some of the details, but I have a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (EMS) model EMS-HW50C

best regards, Mark
Old 12-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #5

The dolly has it's own maintenance to keep up with, tires, lights, wheel bearings, brakes.

It's heavy and can be difficult to move around and secure at sites.

Hook up is slower with a dolly and more involved.

Dollies are a good universal solution if you're towing multiple vehicles. If you're towing the same vehicle every time a tow bar that has been designed for quick easy installation is a better choice.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

We like the four down.
Internal braking system (Airforce One) or similar no mechanical setup once installed
We use RoadMaster sterling All Terrain (has anti bind levers)
Takes us about 3 minutes to hook up and go (dont forget the emergency brake on the Toad dont ask me how I know but only for a short distance...thank you nice passer byers ) and easy to unhook dont forget the emergency brake.... no issues it was level but now use a check list

Stay safe
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Regarding #2.... my surge protector is an EMS. When you read my thread, you'll see some of the details, but I have a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (EMS) model EMS-HW50C

best regards, Mark
OK kewl. I just saw in your list Surge Protector.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

On your #1 comment, 4 down vs dolly.... can you provide some of thoughts on the pros of 4 down and cons of the dolly?

thx Mark
1) So much easier to hook up and disattach. Takes us less than 5 minutes and that includes testing lights etc. Our toad has a manual transmission. Hook it up, put it in neutral and that's it
2) Don't have to disattach and store the dolly when you arrive somewhere
3) When it's raining, hooking up a dolly is a real PIA + it's really messy crawling all around attaching the straps
4) More tires to worry about and dolly tires don't last that long
5) With a dolly, the weight on the hitch goes against your GVWR/GCWR. Towing 4 down doesn't put any weight on the hitch. Your just dragging the toad behind you
6) When we arrive somewhere, while my wife is checking in I disattach the toad. With a dolly, you can do that, but now you have to still worry about pulling the dolly to your site and then disattach that and store it somewhere there and then back in.

Just one example of the hassle let's think this through in a real day application.
So your sitting in a camp ground and it's move day. You pull the coach out of the site and hopefully you have an area right there where you can pull off to the side to hook up. Ok....now you have to walk back and get the dolly and pull it up to the coach and hook it up. This is especially fun when it's been raining and there's mud everywhere. Now you walk back again and get the car. You pull the car up on the dolly. (I've actually seen two people over shoot the dolly and ran over the front of it. That was fun to watch him get out of that mess. But I digressed. Now that the car is on the dolly, you have to put on the straps etc. Do your light test and now your ready to go. When you arrive at your next location, yep, rinse and repeat. This gets old really fast and even more so as you get older.

If you and I started at the same time hooking up, I'd already be 20-30+ miles down the road before you are ready to go.

Going FT is supposed to be fun. Starting off your day 1st thing in the morning on move day...this is not the way I want to start off my day.

A few months ago I watched a guy from Canada who thought he had the answer. He towed his car on a trailer. I won't go into all the theatrics of what he went thru but he literally spent 45 minutes getting his car off the trailer, dealing with the trailer and then finally backing into his site. WOW. Then he starts setting up his rig, water, sewer etc.

With our 4 down approach, the car is taken care and our coach is all set up in 30 minutes. IMO...using a dolly just has to many drawbacks and is a big hassle.

The reason MOST people choose a dolly is they either don't want to get rid of their daily driver and get a different car that can be towed 4 down OR they don't want to flip out cash for a tow bar, base plate and other equipment to tow 4 down. In either case, as I said before, retiring and going FT is supposed to be fun and I'm more than willing to pay for what it will take to make our FT living fun and easy.

Think this thru before you commit. Good luck my friend.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #9

Tow dolly.

My thoughts are that it depends on the individual, and the type of vehicle you are towing. Some manufacturers do not recommend flat tow, as it can cause problems with the drive train. Some suggest for manual transmission installing a pump, for the transmission. As for my self a two dolly is not complicated. Never had an issue. Depending on the amount of miles we put on our RV I just rotate the tyres on the car. No matter what you still have to do regular maintenance on the tow vehicle our the dolly.
steve skare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:49 AM   #10

All great points of views and real life experiences. In our case, my wife bought a new Mini CooperS, front wheel drive, automatic. it's new and paid for, therefore the key reason for the dolly. Maybe after the Mini goes.... 4Down may be in the cards for us.

thx again for everyone's comments, pro and cons.

Mark

Tags
upgrade