Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #1

My warning to anyone considering Coach-net.....

Before I get into my story I understand many of you have had wonderful experiences with Coach-Net. Which is one of the reasons why I chose them as my roadside emergency assistance. My opinions and views are solely based on my recent experience and if I can help one other person avoid the nightmare we just went through, then it was worth the time writing this post. Two weeks ago we departed Sacramento around 4am to try and beat the blistering heat we were experiencing in Northern California, the destination was Coos Bay Oregon. About 30 minutes north of Redding on I5, we lost the idler pulley which in turn started a chain reaction that left us dead on the road. I immediately called Coach-net to start figuring out what options we had. As a reminder I have a 2020 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH, we were stranded on I5, just feet off the road and expected daytime temps were forecasted to be 115!

After being on hold for over 30 minutes, someone finally answered! It was painfully clean they seemed to have little to zero knowledge regarding the size of my coach and my situation. This was going to require a tow back to freightliner in Redding. Anyway, after almost 2 hours they finally said they were able to get a tow company come out, but we had a 3 hour window. They would tow me to the nearest campground and then schedule a technician to come out the following day. The campground they wanted to tow us to was obviously not big enough for my coach let alone being towed behind a tow truck. I asked if they would find a rv park closer to Redding, as thats more than likely where the technician would come from anyway and puts us closer to Freightliner. They were unable to find another RV park that was closer to Redding (or so they said) As it turns out after my own calling around I was able to find several parks that would accommodate us.

Knowing how terrible good customer service is these days, I called the tow company that Coach-net arranged about an hour into our 3 hour window just to touch bases. As it turns out, the tow company didnt have a truck big enough to tow my rig and they canceled the appointment with coach-net. Keep in mind nobody from coachnet ever bothered to call me and when I called coach-net back (every call to coach-net started with a 30 minute hold) NOBODY FROM COACHNET was aware my tow had been cancelled. We were essentially back to square one! The worst part was the young lady who was assisting me on the original call must have ended her shift and left no instructions for anyone else.

Trying to make a long story short, we finally got ahold of CHP and they were able to get a tow company they used to come pick us up. After 9 hours along side the road, in 115 degree temps, we were finally pulled back into Freightliner in Redding, on my dime. Now here's the worst part of the whole ordeal and a stern warning to anyone who uses Coach-Net or any other roadside assistance. The owner of the tow company said Coach-Net called him at 10am and he was all ready to rescue us, but Coach-Net wanted a cheaper rate!!!! So essentially, instead of consulting with their customer, they shopped around for the cheapest rates for them, and left us in a very dangerous spot.

Despite this long post, I tried to keep this as brief as possible and condense the story as much as I could. Bottom line, do your homework before hitting the road and dont rely and a cheap middle man to do the work for you. The biggest lesson we learned was from now on, once your route is planned, find all the regional tow companies, RV service techs, RV parks big enough to be towed to, and the number to local highway patrol.

If anyone else has had a similar experience with Coach-Net I would love to hear from you? Hopefully I was just a rare case but if this is common, then we as a RV community need to hold them more accountable.
Maverick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

If you get stuck in a dangerous position, call the cops, they will call their preferred tow truck to get you going, then seek reimbursement.

If you stress things like "dangerous...", "blocking traffic...", "cops say I need to move NOW..."

I think you get expedited service...

Just a guess
bpu699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #3

A sadly familiar story. In our case it was Good Sam roadside by the side of a narrow road for 8 hours with cooler weather a couple of years ago. Our problem was that the only tow truck large enough in the area was on another call in the opposite direction - maybe not anyone's fault.

I'm glad you and family were safe, although frustrated.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #4

That was one of the biggest lessons learned, get ahold of Highway Patrol immediately and then deal with getting reimbursed by the insurance companies later. Also as I mentioned do your homework ahead of time, call around to regional tow companies and start your own database of those who have the equipment big enough to tow you to a safe location.
Maverick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My experience with Coach-Net is 100% failure on two attempts to use them.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did Coach-net reimburse you for the tow? It sounds like you got someone who followed their internal procedures and didn't do a very good job of it. At the end of the day, it's a call center. Most call centers have high turnover because no one wants to work in a call center. By the time someone gets good at the job, they're looking for something else. We have a couple of roadside assistance services that came with something else. We would never rely on them for rescuing us on the side of the road. As a last resort, maybe, but they would never be my first call.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #7

Did not sound like fun.
Hope you ran the generator to power your AC units while all that waiting

Thanks for posting
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
This is very disturbing report. I have had about 6 different contacts with CoachNet over the past 18 years, all of them good, but this report makes me nervous. I still think there is nobody better than Coach-Net, but perhaps they are no longer better than the others. Everybody in the business is reliant on third parties to perform the service, and those third parties are of varying quality. But 30 minute hold times and leaving the customer stranded while you bargain for a cheaper price, that is inexcusable.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #9

Now you need to call CoachNet and ask to speak with a supervisor instead of talking to an operator that is instructed to follow on-screen prompts and not deviate.

Make sure CoachNet has the make, model, size and weight of your MH in their files on your contract. That should eliminate the tow truck size error.
All ERS contract issurers require the operator to find the cheapest towing company, Good Sam, FMCA, escapees, all ERS agents do the same,

I had a similar experience in July 2020. After speaking with a Good Sam ERS supervisor, in a respectful manner, every part of the bad experience was addressed. She told me exactly how to file an "after the fact" claim (emailed me the claim form); 6 weeks later I received a check for the full amount of the tow bill ($1,200) I had paid out of pocket.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #10

I’ve been with Coach-net since 1999. Every time I used them they came thru without a problem. Sounds like a mixup and it left you in a bad situation.
I’m very sorry to read this and hope it all gets better.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My only experience with them was they wanted to know if I would pay overtime charges. I said yes, but did not hear me. 4 hours and 3 calls later the tow truck driver called me to ask if I would pay overages. YES. Towed out hour later.
Also be warned. Tow companies are not responsible for any damage they create.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE…..Also be warned. Tow companies are not responsible for any damage they create.[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn’t realize that. I would have thought they would be responsible for their actions.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:57 AM   #13

I used Coach Net once last year and my story is close to yours.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
[QUOTE…..Also be warned. Tow companies are not responsible for any damage they create.

Really? I didn’t realize that. I would have thought they would be responsible for their actions.
jt[/QUOTE]Read your contract for facts and details. That defines their responsibilities. What you "think" doesn't really matter.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warning