Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #1

Mystery Loose Connection

I need some group wisdom (come on now, I know there's plenty here)

I noticed that I have a floating loose two wire connection just to the left of the snorkel on my 2004 Southwind (W22). I've looked for while looking to see where this belongs. Since I cant find a schematic online, I'm going to defer to the group collective for some inside;

Here's a picture from above looking down; the one with the yellow end

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PF3yLTVAg98LhQJR6

Here's a picture looking up from below; the one with the yellow end

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5q73cp4uAceBJ7w36

Thanks in advance, George
Windy32-CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #2

If everything is working I would say it is for something that is not on your coach. Sometimes the wiring harnesses are made for other coaches as well. Mine has extra plugs every where.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

Looking from the bottom up.
Follow the cable up starting at the connector. I see a clear piece of plastic with some type of lettering on it. Is that a label?
Also, that reservoir, is that for the windshield washer or is it a coolant recovery tank? That is indeed a weather proof connector. If not used you would think it would be capped.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
the only thing in like that area on my 2000 Southwind is the horn, I see your horn in one picture, I can't see if it's plugged in. Could there have been provisions for dual horns?
Old 10-16-2020, 10:54 PM   #5

Yes that’s is the recovery tank, as well as a label on the wire. The label is falling apart but thought it best to ask before I tried to pull it off.
My thoughts as well, if it’s not being used, it should have a factory cap on it
Old 10-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Looking from the bottom up.
Follow the cable up starting at the connector. I see a clear piece of plastic with some type of lettering on it. Is that a label?
Also, that reservoir, is that for the windshield washer or is it a coolant recovery tank? That is indeed a weather proof connector. If not used you would think it would be capped.

Yes that’s is the recovery tank, as well as a label on the wire. The label is falling apart but thought it best to ask before I tried to pull it off.
My thoughts as well, if it’s not being used, it should have a factory cap on it
Old 10-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
the only thing in like that area on my 2000 Southwind is the horn, I see your horn in one picture, I can't see if it's plugged in. Could there have been provisions for dual horns?
I Do have a horn on each side of the coach, I checked and the horn Itself has a wire going into the back of it. I in the coach and gave it toot toot, couldn’t really tell if both sides were working.

I’m going to get wife to give me hand, while I go around out front to see if I hear it.

I may have to just put some tape on it until I find out what’s not working. My concern is that it’s some type of sensor that runs a idiot light on the dash.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #8

Your going to have to find someone with EXCT rig to find out if it's used or not. Manufactures used same harness for different options. I have a number of loose connectors under my dash. You'll go crazy trying to figure out what those loose connectors are for.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #9

Looks like the kind of connector that plugs into a light socket. Side marker/clearance light or fog light???
Old 10-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
If everything is working I would say it is for something that is not on your coach. Sometimes the wiring harnesses are made for other coaches as well. Mine has extra plugs every where.
I agree. While it could happen, it's very rare that kind of connector would ever come loose on its own. It's hard enough getting them apart when you're actually trying.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

It's easier and cheaper to make 1 harness and not use what isn't needed. They are one of the first items to go on a frame, if the assembler puts the wrong one on it's hours of work to remove it and install the right one. Loose ends are the norm.

The wire you're looking at isn't very long, move it around and see if there's anything it will reach that should have an electrical connection. If not it's probably unused.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
It's not unusual for the manufacturer to leave a connector that is not used, uncapped. It's an extra expense that they don't want.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #13

Ok, first things first, a big thanks for all the reply’s.

I spent a better part of a hour with my head and hand in every crevice within reach of the end of the connector. I ended up taping up the end and decided that I’ll wait it out to see if something ends up not working.

Again a big thanks to the collective. ��