Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #57

This isn't strictly an RV book, but Nigal Caulder, writes a very good book on Marine systems. Most RV systems and boat systems have a lot in common. His sections on plumbing, electrical, batteries, solar, A/C are all relavant and well written. Even has a section on troubleshooting with a DMM. Might look at it as a learning source. Definitely has saved my bacon I few times while living on our boat for 10 yrs.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #58

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
This isn't strictly an RV book, but Nigal Caulder, writes a very good book on Marine systems. Most RV systems and boat systems have a lot in common. His sections on plumbing, electrical, batteries, solar, A/C are all relavant and well written. Even has a section on troubleshooting with a DMM. Might look at it as a learning source. Definitely has saved my bacon I few times while living on our boat for 10 yrs.
Holy Cats! 10 years!? Wow, I am impressed! Oh, and thanks for the recommendation on the book. I have very limited knowledge of those systems. Mostly I have learned from hit and miss and blowing fuses right and left before I finally stumble on the problem or I give up and just take it to a pro. Things like this mystery wiring is not anything that I will find in a book and I am well aware of that. I just wish the guy was still alive to ask as I am sure there is a story here somewhere. I did go around and check all the outlets for issues or abnormalities and I found nothing. It is and will remain a mystery I guess.

I am totally impressed with the amount of people that have jumped on here trying to help and all the suggestions and ideas. What an education and wealth of knowledge here. I know where I will be going in the future for information. I had an issue with the 6 way seat controls on the passenger seat and did a search on here and found out the biggest issue is the cord coming unplugged under the seat. I should have thought of that cause that was the problem. I thought grandson had burnt it up playing in it.

Thanks for all the information everyone.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #59

On the color of wires it can get confusing. Most 12V. systems the black wire is ground,& red is hot, (look at your batteries) In electronics it's usually the same, solid black is usually ground. AC current delivery Black is usually hot. Why the difference I don't know, but it's led to lots of smoke & jolts over the years.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #60

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
Well, I need to apologize. I over-reacted to the initial "flame". It caught me off guard.
I know my reaction to your post was dismay that after identifying yourself as an electrician you gave obviously wrong information.(Post #11) Yes, it was a typo, but someone unfamiliar with RV 50 amp wiring wouldn't know that and could have been injured. We all make mistakes, I more than some, but after a few folks pointed out your error, you continued to emphasize the correctness of your information in Posts #14 & #19. When trying to help someone or imparting information about something as potentially dangerous as electricity, it's important to proofread and make sure the information is correct, especially when identifying self as an 'expert' in the topic discussed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #61

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
...When trying to help someone or imparting information about something as potentially dangerous as electricity, it's important to proofread and make sure the information is correct, especially when identifying self as an 'expert' in the topic discussed.

I didn't see anything that qualified as a "flame". I did see knowledgeable members quickly correcting a potentially dangerous, incorrect post. Typo, brain-freeze, whatever it was (not important), members here were right to point it out, imo.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

... members here were right to point it out, imo.

It's more than fair to point out the error, the poster that made the error is just saying that it could have been done in a better way... He did not appreciate the "YOU'RE WRONG" (in caps refers to screaming).

He is also right to bring up that new members might be intimidated by such and might just refrain from posting to help... Just an opinion.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
It's more than fair to point out the error, the poster that made the error is just saying that it could have been done in a better way... He did not appreciate the "YOU'RE WRONG" (in caps refers to screaming).

He is also right to bring up that new members might be intimidated by such and might just refrain from posting to help... Just an opinion.

Can't disagree with any of that.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post

This was my main point.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe it is appropriate to shout in some situations, especially when it involves a subject that could result in serious injury or death. Just my opinion.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #66

Pull the gray jumper.

Reconnect the red wire.

Done.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Pull the gray jumper.

Reconnect the red wire.

Done.
Would you do that before trying to find out why the red was removed? I would certainly do some testing before I changed anything.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

Pull the gray jumper.

Reconnect the red wire.

Done.
Too Late!

That was done back in Post #32 and everything has worked fine since then except a coincidental problem with his hot water electric heater.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #69

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Too Late! That was done back in Post #32 and everything has worked fine since then except a coincidental problem with his hot water electric heater. Dr4Film ----- Richard
That is true Richard. I have had time to check the water heater and it appears there is another switch wired into heater that has power going into it but nothing coming out so I think this is a very minor repair. I did check as much as I could but reasoning told me I already had power there by means of the jumper so what going to happen if I reconnect the red wire? Nothing and nothing happened. My intention into posting this was that somebody would pull a rabbit out of a hat say "oh yeah, I have seen this before. It's done when blah blah blah happens" but that never happened so I don't feel so bad. It is and will remain a mystery. If ever learn anything new on it I will post it.

Alan
Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My take on this is the PO had a 110 volt-20 amp outlet at his house or storage yard swapped out to a 50A receptacle and wasn't getting both legs into his coach. He placed a jumper in the CB box to lightly power all circuits. He passed away before it could be put right.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring