Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #1

National Pacifica value

Good morning everyone. My wife and I are looking to switch from a fifth wheel to a class a. We are looking at a 2008 National Pacifica m40D with the Cummin 360 and Allison 6 speed. 51,000 miles. I don't know the model of the Allison. In going through it yesterday the only problems we could find was the landing gear would not retract/extend. In researching the problem it looks like the actuater on the front passenger side is not allowing that jack to retract. The other thing is that it looks like they replaced the stove top with a cheap non igniter stove top to sell the rig. This makes me wonder what other things are hidden. In pricing a rig like this do you take in to conideration the economy and fuel prices? NADA says average value is 100,000. Asking price 94,950. The listing: https://boise.craigslist.org/rvd/d/n...386339620.html It is consignment sale. What do you think would be a fair price to offer? Thanks in advance.
Johneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
If they are HWH jacks, this is a common issue with retracting. I have had 2 MH’s with HWH, both did the same.
Price is entirely what you want to make it, they will either say yes or no. It is below NADA but the other items you may want to check on is age of the current tires on it, are you going to have to replace them soon?, general maintenance of the engine and generator, oil changes, belts changed, coolant changed out etc.
It does not have a lot of miles on it but most of these will age out and deteriorate over time.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Best options to price are look at comparable of the same rig. Check the large selling sites like RVTrader.com and do a general search as others will pop up if there are rigs available.

Ckeck the NADA site, look at the the base price.

Prices right now are high, probably the worse time to buy. People are asking outrages prices and the rigs seems to be selling.

I would suggest you look at getting a professional inspection but make sure you get some sort of guarantee on the inspection. I was recently helping another owner work through some issues he was having the recent purchase. The rig was abused and not maintained but he had a professional inspection.

I bought my rig 13 years ago and might be able to get about what I paid for it. I bought during the Great Recession and it was a repo. I see similar coaches of mine with asking prices really high.

My guess is that prices will start coming down once recent buyers figure out how much it costs to own/operate these types of rigs.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #4

The tires will need replaced. We would take it to a cummins service center for a check of the drivetrain as there are no service records.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you are taking it to Cummins have the check the ECM for stored fault codes, any codes that had come up in the past. May also check the transmission if they have the right software.

May be worth having them pull an oil & coolant sample and have it analyzed. Transmission oil sample may be worth it. Will cost less then ~$100 for 3 sample kits from JG Lubrication. You send them in and they'll be done quickly, Cummins may offer a service but I'm sure price will be higher.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies and info. Going for a test drive today at 11.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I put a set of 6 tires on my rig in May, 295/80R22.5 Yokohama $3600
Old 10-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I put a set of 6 tires on my rig in May, 295/80R22.5 Yokohama $3600

A Pacifica probably doesn't use that large & expensive a tire, but a set won't be cheap. I'd figure $2500-$3000.

The NADA RV value isn't a really accurate guide - just a ballpark figure. Look around at comparable size & age coaches to get a handle on going prices. Yes, you have to consider the current market when you buy, and whether you are willing to pay a price premium to get what you want today. The seller is interested in getting the best possible price in todays market - the future is your worry, not his.

Consider hiring an RV inspector and also having a diesel truck shop evaluate the chassis. It will cost you near $1000 total for both, but should set your mind at ease (or warn you off).

Right now I'm seeing advertised pricing all over the map, anywhere from $65k to $130k for a DP in the size & equipment range of that Pacifica. Makes it hard to judge a "fair" price. Best I can offer is that its probably not a bargain at $94k, but maybe not out of line either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national