Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

Unhappy National RV Xantrex inverter

Ok.. My Xantrex inverter was taken out of the RV before I purchased. There is still however a Xantex remote switch inside the RV near the door. So I am trying to figure out if this thing was factory installed or aftermarket? I cannot figure out how it powers the dedicated circuit for the receptacles. There is no romex wiring running from the compartment where the inverter was located. Just the ground, the negative, and positive battery leads.... I have looked everywhere!
Mnmueller28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like it was aftermarket and probably installed by the previous owner. It's easy to install an inverter near the battery compartment, then run an extension cord into the RV to run the TV, DVD, etc.

It probably was never wired up to run the entire RV's 120v system.

The remote switch would allow to shut off the inverter from inside the coach after done using it, so it would not run down the batteries.

Just a theory since you see no way it was wired into the coach.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

I could do that, but then if I'm running my generator to power my roof air while traveling, do I just leave it plugged into the extension cord (inverter) or unplug it and plug it into the receptacle so it is powered by the generator?
Mnmueller28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could do it either way. It may be more convenient to keep the inverter on while driving and dry camping, or If you plan on mostly being plugged in at an RV site, it may be easier to use the genset and leave the TV plugged into a 120v outlet.

The front TV is probably wired to a special 120v outlet that will not supply power while underway. There may be some legalities in some states concerning bypassing this system.

If you install the inverter in this fashion, avoid the temptation to go overly big with the inverter. The larger the inverter, the more parasitic draw will be required just to turn it on.

Calculate how many amps/watts you need to use while dry camping.
I installed a 600 watt Xantrex Prowatt pure sine wave inverter. I could have gone up a size to the 1000 watt unit, (both have a <.6 amp no load current draw) but I really don't need it. I am limited to a 375 ah battery bank and don't want to accidentally run it too low. When I use the a/c, microwave, toaster, or coffee pot I fire up the genny.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

When you are running the generator for the a/c, there is no reason to have anything powered by the inverter - the generator is powering everything.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
More info would be helpfull. Our '05 the inverter and converter are a combination unit. If the unit is missing we cannot charge our house batteries. Is the "Remote Switch" simply an "On/Off" unit? If so it's a factory install. The remove unit communicated with the inverter via a "Telephone" type cable.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
RTN

Hi Fred and Bonnie,

We just purchased an 04 Sea Breeze 8321 and there is an inverter switch by the door. Do you know what is powered with the inverter switch turned on? I checked all the outlets with just the house batteries and the inverter on and none seemed to be getting powered. I know I need to read the owner's manual and the tons of other paperwork that cam with it, just haven't had time yet.

Thanks!

Ron & Tina
RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #8

Xantrex inverters with a remote control panel are a combo of inverter and battery charger. They are available up to 3000 watts, but most from the era of your coach were 2000 watts.These units are still available and could work with your remote. Since yours is missing, what is charging your batteries? Also, most of these have two outputs that are fused at 15 or 20 amps and are only used for specific items such as microwave, TV's and a few outlets. The system automatically switches from line supply to inverter when the supply power is cut off. DACOTAH
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
Hi Fred and Bonnie,

We just purchased an 04 Sea Breeze 8321 and there is an inverter switch by the door. Do you know what is powered with the inverter switch turned on? I checked all the outlets with just the house batteries and the inverter on and none seemed to be getting powered. I know I need to read the owner's manual and the tons of other paperwork that cam with it, just haven't had time yet.

Thanks!

Ron & Tina
Ron depending on the inverter size different outlets will be powered. Our unit has a 1,000W unit and only the front entertainment items and rear TV are powered. We have 2 house batteries. On units with the 2,000W inverter, four batteries are installed just in front of the entry door and most all of the 120V outlets are live.

Any info on how your coach batteries are charged? Some type of charger must have replaced the Xantrex unit?

fred
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
RTN

Thanks Fred,

I found the owner's manual and I guess only the front TV is powered by the inverter. The batteries are charged by a converter/charger when ac power is available.

I have another question about our 04 Sea Breeze. Since we bought it used we do not know if some of the noises we hear are normal or indications of a problem. For example, when the engine is running, I hear a hissing sound under the rear part of the coach, like air leaking out of a pressurized system. everything seems to be working fine, but the noise sounds like a leak. And when I'm driving at low speed I hear a noise that sounds a lot like a power steering pump low on fluid, but our fluid level is fine. Does any of that sound normal to you?

Thanks!

Ron & Tina
RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron, I presume you have a Workhorse Chassis, if so, it's the fuel pump, quite normal.

The noise up front is the powersteering system that powers the Hydro Boost(?) braking system, also normal. The same system has an electric pump which you will hear when the engine isn't running and you apply the service brakes.

fred

Tags
inverter, national