RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Update: On Wednesday, I took and passed my Class B non commercial license for my DP.

It went pretty well except the usual challenges at DMV with paperwork (bring in your registration and insurance card - I had to run back out). I had also parked my DP on a side-street and they wanted me to move it closer to the building (didn't fit in parking lot) so they had me park along the street near the building in front of the No Parking signs (Really?, You want me to park in a no parking zone in front of the DMV? ) Needless to say, I had DW stay with it.

Otherwise the guy who drove with me was very knowledgeable about DMZ licenses and policies. I didn't even have to do the Air Brake test as he said that is not necessary on non-commercial vehicles, although he did review it with DW and I. (I was ready to do the test).

He also was VERY excited about driving in the RV and even took a picture of it afterward! He joked with his peers before the drive that he was going to give a driver test in an motor home and wouldn't be back for a week. I got the feeling they don't get to do this very often.

Otherwise, I was more worried that I needed to be. And although they did not ask how I got there, I had already said the guy with me was a fireman... But this instructor might have asked.

Hope this helps.
PM me if you have any questions.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #16

Not just NC. Same problem in Maryland. I've spent months researching rvs and decided a Jayco Seneca (28,000# GVW) fit the bill. Have plane tickets to look at one next Friday. A couple of days ago I see a post on rv.net about needing a special rv license. Do a lot more research and visit the DMV today. I have a Class A but my wife nor my kids or any of my friends. So I would be faced with all the driving. Maryland does offer a slightly modified test for non-commercial Class A or Class B. Learner's permit costs $90 - don't know if the cost of the license is additional. Like the above poster, they didn't seem to have a full understanding of the process.

So I am faced with the situation of going through with the purchase and hoping that they can pass the test after a lot of training using the RV. I doubt my children who have jobs and kids of their own will have the time. So we have decided to completely changed our choice of RV to something under 26,000#. I told them at the DMV they just screwed up my retirement.
Sorry for the rant and they just provided another reason to leave Maryland.
WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey WorldCat25. Don't let the DMV screw up your dreams. I would plow forward and buy what you want. You only live once. . And if you end up as the only driver, so be it...you just won't get as far in a day. And Maryland is like most states...except for a handful that don't require a special license (i.e. Florida) so we can't really blame them. To be honest, folks probably should be tested to drive such a beast... Not that what we went through helped a lot, but the tests do impress the idea that stopping these things takes a lot longer and they need to driven differently.

My 2 cents.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:32 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NC Drivers License - Class B?

We had a similar experience with NC. Astonishing the level of incompetence -- no, that's the wrong word-- the level of obliviousness people exhibit on subjects directly related to their jobs.

Lived in Raleigh for several years prior to retiring and buying our 40 ft Dutch Star (31K Lbs) in 2012. Kept the NC domicile pending a couple of other factors. In the purchase and registration process I was told by two DMV agents at different times and different offices that no special license was required. Same info provided by an insurance agent I spoke with.

Registered and insured in NC, we drove the coach around the country for about 18 months before we had an opportunity to spend a few weeks in TX to establish domicile there. It took a conversation with a TX DPS employee for me to learn that for that year and a half I had been required to have an NC Class B.

NC is a beautiful state, and we enjoyed living there, but Good God, it seems like most of the State Agencies just never miss an opportunity to make themselves look foolish in the public eye!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 AM   #19

NY has basically the same reqmts...they call it a "R" endorsement to your license fir private use RVs over 26,000#.
No written test only road test. Agent at the local DMV ofc couldn't answer any questions...said I was the first applicant she ever had...but gave me the # to call to schedule the test and they covered what would be required. ..basic driving turns backing no air brake testing just general knowledge. We also are supposed to have a qualified copilot accompany us to the test and that is my challenge to find someone available for test time. Currently busy bringing our new to us '13 Newmar Ventana 3433 from NC to NY so I'll have 700 mi "under my belt" before getting legal.
Also researched NC DMV to try to get a temp license plate to transport it to NY...no such luck pnly available to dealers in NC and ours was a private sale...sooo with PO plates & registration along w my proof of insurance and bill of sale we're almost home.
Aside...gotta love moving up from previous gassers to a DP..
What a pleasure driving.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Also researched NC DMV to try to get a temp license plate to transport it to NY...no such luck pnly available to dealers in NC and ours was a private sale...sooo with PO plates & registration along w my proof of insurance and bill of sale we're almost home.
Aside...gotta love moving up from previous gassers to a DP..
What a pleasure driving.
I was worried about this if I bought a used unit from out of state also. In Maryland, a used rig must be inspected (in Maryland) before it can be registered so unless the previous owner let me use his/her tags I didn't know what to do. Some advised to just drive it without tags with a bill of sale. I would hesitate to do this but figured I would cross that bridge if I ever got to it.

If we do change strategy and don't get the Seneca (>26,000#) and go with a gasser, we'll probably buy new so this won't be a problem.
WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #21

Winemaker2.
What part of New York? I live north of the Albany area ( Saratoga county). If you are near here I would be glad to help as I have the "r" endorsement
Applefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #22

We are between Elmira & Corning.
Appreciate the offer but willhave to look local. If I don't find one on my own I'll post here to seeif anyone is close by.
Thanks again
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shortly after getting the present MH I got stopped in CA for speeding (First moving violation in over 30 years). He never asked about my class of license even though I was driving a 50,000#, 45' rig. But my regular drivers license is all you need in WA. Trooper was more interested in writing out the ticket for $438 than he was checking to see if I had a legal license.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver