RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NC Drivers License - Class B?

The thread on the CA non-commercial Class B caused me to look up for NC. Searching here and the www I see that over 26,000# requires a Class B. My, new to us, DP is 31,000. Dang.

I cannot find anything on the NC DMV site about a non-commercial version. Maybe I missed it?

Anyone have recent experience getting one, if truly required? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: wasn't easy, but found this on the DMV site:

1.12 – Exemptions and Waivers The vehicle types listed below do not require the operator to possess a
CDL. However, a non-CDL Class A or B license may still be required:
 Vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles.

Class B License Required to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more that is exempt from CDL requirements, or any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

BUT, the manual and site doesn't say what one has to do to get one other than it costs an extra $5.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, both wife and I went thru the process. Vehicle with CGVW gtr 26K.

Need to go in and pass a computer test, need at least 40 out of 50 to pass. It appears to be the same test as the CDL, lot of air brake questions. When you pass that, you will be issued a 'learners permit', which is good for 18 months. That allows you to drive, IF you are with another driver who has either a class B or class A. (think back to when you were 16 with a learners permit).

Then you go back and do a driving test. Will have to do safety check walk around, test your air brake systems, then he'll have you drive around. We both had to also back up into a spot in a tight parking lot. You need to take the test, using the class vehicle that you are getting a license for.

People at DMV call in desk are very confused about requirements, so you may get some misleading info. Not all DMV locations do this testing, there is only one in Raleigh that does it (Cary).

You will get issued a new license, looks exactly like your class C license, but where it currently says Class C it will now have a B, and on the back it will have an endorsement that says:

Class B: Any single vehicle that is exempt from CDL requirements, with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Note: I don't believe there is any consistency in exactly what they have you do with the road test. Some sites report that you have to indicate who came with you to the testing facility that was correctly licensed, others indicate they never asked. They asked me (had a friend), didn't ask my wife. That friend when he had his test they made him do an emergency stop and get out to see if he knew the emergency process, neither I or wife had to do that. Generally speaking, I found them more interested in giving suggestions and tips on how to be a safe driver, and wanting you to be correctly licensed.

I went for road test the following day after getting permit, which kind of perturbed the tester. "How could you possibly have gotten any road driving experience" was his comment. I indicated that I've driven other RV's before with less weight, and quite frankly we were leaving for a trip in a week and I wanted to be correctly licensed. After about a mile on the road test his attitude seemed to change, and he was more interested in where we've camped, and where the upcoming trip was going. No problems.

Just a pain to have to go thru the process, and stand in lines at the DMV. But, wouldn't want to be in an accident and not properly licensed.

Ohh, and a tip for the online test. If you get a question that you don't know, you can postpone that question and you'll get it again at the end (my wife figured this out). The system keeps score as you go thru, and once you get 40 questions correct the test is over. So if you get a question you don't know, don't randomly guess just postpone it and hope you won't really have to answer it.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Not to say it can't happen, but never, ever heard of anyone being asked to produce said license. Asked a friend who's a retired NC State Trooper about it several years ago and was told he wouldn't go through the hassle.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep. I've never had to show my license in 60 years of driving but I guess the issue is as DaveB said if you get in an accident. Lawyers would have a field day.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #5

Interesting. When I purchased my used DP (28000 lbs.) the DMV in Cary, NC told me I didn't need anything other than my regular license. No Class B, no eye test, no driver's test. Scary. I have full freedom to commit mayhem on the highways.
ellisda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kiawah and any others: this has me flummoxed. I have over a 100K miles in a 35' gasser and about 2K in this DP. Clear that I need a Class B because I try to follow rules and worry about accidents. I'm on all the forums and don't recall this coming up often and when it did it was a "don't worry about it".

Man that DMV site is fuzzy on a Class B non-commercial so appreciate your real world experiences.

The only guidance on testing for a Class B is commercial. Is there a non commercial test? The CDL manual has stuff like securing loads. Can you expand on the testing? The braking stuff is reasonable and I'm comfortable with that after doing Camp Freightliner.

Don't know how to handle having a Class A/B co-pilot for a day trip to a testing location. My luck they'd impound me if I showed up without one.

I'm probably over thinking this but would appreciate any additional input.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #7

Thats why i left the money hungry state of nc i was born in nc spent 17 yrs there payed a life time of taxes. The only thing the gov. Wants is your money
Regardless if the person taking it knowes the laws or not.
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
Kiawah and any others: this has me flummoxed. I have over a 100K miles in a 35' gasser and about 2K in this DP. Clear that I need a Class B because I try to follow rules and worry about accidents. I'm on all the forums and don't recall this coming up often and when it did it was a "don't worry about it".

Man that DMV site is fuzzy on a Class B non-commercial so appreciate your real world experiences.

The only guidance on testing for a Class B is commercial. Is there a non commercial test? The CDL manual has stuff like securing loads. Can you expand on the testing? The braking stuff is reasonable and I'm comfortable with that after doing Camp Freightliner.

Don't know how to handle having a Class A/B co-pilot for a day trip to a testing location. My luck they'd impound me if I showed up without one.

I'm probably over thinking this but would appreciate any additional input.
I'm not an expert on the inner workings of any DMV, but to me the test appears to be the same test as the CDL. The only study guides I could find were CDL, so those are what we studied. A number of the online test questions were very similar to that content, which leaves me to believe they are one in the same.

There is stuff that is totally irrelevant to an RV (like securing loads), so I skipped over some of that stuff when studying, and as a result had to take some guesses. Suff on tankers, and hazardous loads. Many questions on air brake inner workings, what is it that pumps up the pressure, to what pressure does it pump and turn off, what controls the pump, what is the S cam and how does it work. How does the S cam make the brakes work. What is the purpose of the different air tanks, the dryer, purging, yada yada yada. Stuff on older braking systems. Different questions on spring brakes and service brakes, etc.

I also had taken the Gaffney Freightliner, but this testing is more than just a surface level knowledge, need to know how the pieces work together in the system.

Only takes one yahoooo to pull in front of you on an entrance ramp and jam on the brakes, and you plow into them......and then the Hewey, Dewey, and CaBlewey legal team are after that rich guy with the fancy RV claiming 6 cases of whiplash and back injuries. I go the legal path, and have dash cam running all the time. Unfortunately the society we live in nowadays.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I empathize with all of you. I recently picked up a new Newmar Ventana 4310, which clearly is over the 26,001 limit of the class C. I had owned a gasser for 11 years up to now and didn't need the special license. And like many of you, I wasn't really worried about a ticket but what would happen in an accident if they figured out I didn't have the right license.

And DMV is ALL OVER the place on this. Every time we called or went into DMV, we ended up speaking to many folks about what to do and what we needed. More than once I almost had an agent go to upgrade my license from a C to a B without taking any test!, until another agent said it was incorrect (SO close! )

Anyway, DW and I took the computer test and passed (and got a permit). This coming Wednesday I am taking the driving test, so we will see how it goes. I really don't know what I will be asked to do besides drive. It seems to be all over the place on whether you will get asked to do an air brake test or an inspection. I am ready for the air brake test, but not sure what they could ask on the inspection.

And I am bringing along a local fireman who has a class B in case they ask how I got there.

I will let you know after Wednesday!
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Richpatty: are you in NC? Please let us know how it goes. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Richpatty: are you in NC? Please let us know how it goes. Thanks for the input.
I am Wesley Chapel, southeast of Charlotte. I will you know how it goes!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When you do the walk around, he's expecting you to say stuff like:
I'm looking at the mirror, to make sure it's not loose and glass is good. I'm looking at the tire, to see if any cracks or bulges or uneven tire wear. I have TPMS sensors, so I know my pressure is good when looking inside. I'm looking at the hub, to see if there is any leaking of hub oil. Checking the side, to make sure the slides are in, and the slide covers are tight.

Just work your way around the coach.

Our guy then asked that I go inside and work the lights while he was outside, checking that all the lights worked. He'd motion which lights he wanted on, I'd turn them on, etc. Then he came inside, and asked to go thru the airbrake tests.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gents, where do you find who does the drive tests? The DMV site is really a mess. I THINK that the closest for me in Hickory is Statesville but not sure. Then to find a A/B person to accompany.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Gents, where do you find who does the drive tests? The DMV site is really a mess. I THINK that the closest for me in Hickory is Statesville but not sure. Then to find a A/B person to accompany.
We went online and studied CDL Class B tests...there were several free ones. And you to go https://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/h..._CDLmanual.pdf to study the guide. Page 8 shows what sections to study. Much of it has nothing to do with motorhomes.

Firemen nearly always a have a class B, so maybe someone from there can come with you...which is what I did.

Tags
driver