Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Need a ride to the DMV in Torrance, CA

My husband and I just purchased a 43' 2008 Fleetwood Revolution. We both have our CA learner's permits for a Non-Commercial Class B license and both have completed two days of intensive private driving lessons. We are ready to take the test, but our instructor lives way out in Yucca Valley and there are no appointments available out that way until late June.

We currently have drive test appointments at the Torrance DMV for June 3rd at 8:00 a.m. and 9:45 a.m. and need to find a kind soul with either a CA Non-Commercial Class B or CA CDL to drive us to DMV for the test. Anyone available and willing to help out a couple of newbies on their way to becoming full timers? We would be eternally grateful!
FTRV4aYr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Depending on their schedule you may be able to "rent" a supervising driver at your local school bus operation for a reasonable fee. That's what I did to comply with Maryland's ridiculous requirements for my Class B license.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Most RV dealerships have licensed drivers, I was one, and those drivers might give you assistance for a fee. I did it several times and no one at the DMV ever asked to see me or my CDL.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #4

I drove a bus to a CA. DMV to get my Class BP. No one will ask if you drove there.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FTRV4aYr,

Congratulations on trying to do it the correct way. That in itself says a lot for your character. Keep trying. Also check with any driving schools in your area. It may cost you a meal or more, but it's worth it.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #6

You don't need a CA licensed operator - anyone with a license from a state that does not require Class B will be fine - FL etc

The crazy situation I found myself in was that my wife had a CA license and I had a NV one when we purchased our 38' DP - in order to be able to drive the coach legally I had to always have here with me even though she had never driven, nor ever did, the coach.

You can have a FL car license and drive a 60k # 45' Prevost legally and drive it across all states that restrict their residents to 18,000# limits. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially in our modern times where everyone is so mobile.

Maybe it's a good time to Federalize driving licenses in the same way commercial licenses are.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post

Maybe it's a good time to Federalize driving licenses in the same way commercial licenses are.
Oh come on , that would be way to easy, and think of all the poor state law makers you'd be putting out of work , and the money the government would save.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Oh come on , that would be way to easy, and think of all the poor state law makers you'd be putting out of work , and the money the government would save.

NO, it would make EVERYONE take A drug test just like A CDL holder has too every two years.. NOW that would NEVER fly with JQ public!!!! And I don't think (2) days of instruction will do it honestly!!
Chow5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
NO, it would make EVERYONE take A drug test just like A CDL holder has too every two years.. NOW that would NEVER fly with JQ public!!!! And I don't think (2) days of instruction will do it honestly!!

Nah, most states that do require a non-commercial Class B for driving a motorhome over 26,000 GVWR do not require drug tests nor yearly or bi-yearly physical exams. We have Nevada non-commercial drivers' licenses and that is what distinguishes the the non-commercial license and the CDL ...no physical exam/DOT physical card required, otherwise, the testing and requirements are the same.

We agree with Steveclv. There really should be a Federal standard for driving heavier motorhomes. As I've said in other threads, it's ridiculous that we are required to have a Class B license to drive our diesel pusher on the roads of Nevada but our friends from Washington state have a larger and heavier rig and can come down to NV and drive their coach on the exact same roads in Nevada without having ever taken a written test nor a road test as no special license is required in Washington state.

Public transit bus and school bus drivers are required to take courses to learn how to drive what is essentially the exact same dimensioned vehicle and yet there is no training course required for driving a diesel pusher motorhome.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote