Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #15

From the Pressure Pro site, it looks like the new sensor batteries cost almost as much as a new sensor. I have tinnitus too, but don't even hearing the ringing unless I think about it. Thanks!

Seems like if the factory can replace the batteries, anybody with a little tinker experience should be able to.

The Doran at their site is cheaper @ $400 for 6 wheels and I like the display unit better. At a quick glance, I like some of the other options. Will check for others.

http://www.doranmfgstore.com/Categor...c-751f8bf6d38f

I have one I got from the Tire Rack, but I sold 4 of the 6 sensors I had with my TH. It only went up to 67 psi, then said HIGH.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
From the Pressure Pro site, it looks like the new sensor batteries cost almost as much as a new sensor. I have tinnitus too, but don't even hearing the ringing unless I think about it. Thanks!

Seems like if the factory can replace the batteries, anybody with a little tinker experience should be able to.

The Doran at their site is cheaper @ $400 for 6 wheels and I like the display unit better. At a quick glance, I like some of the other options. Will check for others.

RV and Trailer Systems

I have one I got from the Tire Rack, but I sold 4 of the 6 sensors I had with my TH. It only went up to 67 psi, then said HIGH.
I just looked and was surprised to see that PressurePro and Doran are now different, They used to be the same. I have the PressurePro and like it. It sure makes it easy to check your tires in the morning.
I have taken one of the senders apart to see if I could change the battery. Not Good. Your better off trying to get a wholesale deal. Someone said that the senders that Camping World has are compatable with PressurePro and have replaceable batterys but never checked it out because none of my batterys have quit in four years.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #17

You need to make sure the frequency is the same as what you have. Some are different. Most are in the 430 range. Doran is 434.10 MHz. Don't know off hand what the rest or PP is without looking.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had the TST 10 sensor system on my MH and Toad for over 2 years. Other than 2 sensors failing very early on, they indictaed they had received a bad batch of sensors, which they replaced with just a phone call, I have been very pleased with their system.

Their Customer Service has been excellent. I managed to run over the receiver when replacing the failed sensor and they very nicely sent me a replacement at no charge. I was very surprised and elated with their customer service attitude.

Highly recommend their product. They have come out with a new unit with replaceable batteries in the sensors. Mine is their earlier model.

No issues with tire balance or valve extensions as long as metal ones are used.

Good Luck,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #19

Centramatic

We have a trucking business and run Centramatics on tractor steer axles and drive axles. We also have Centramatics on the trailer. We also spin balance the new tires when installed. Some might ask why spin balance, and add Centramatics? Easy answer: Tires wear. As they wear, that initial spin balance no longer applies. The Centramatics balance the tire every time you start up, and they never wear out. Now, is it worth the money? We will run a truck 125,000 to 140,000 miles a year. More miles than you will probably ever put on a motorhome. We can get, with proper care, and Centramatics, 200,000 miles out of a pair of steer tires, then run them for another 25-35,000 as a trailer tire. The other issue is driver fatigue. Even a little wobble in the wheel, a slight pull to the side, really adds up in the 11 hours our drivers have to do, everyday, 6 to 7 days a week.

Centramatics work. They pay for themselves in our business. Are they a choice for you? Only you can decide, but remember, if a tire comes apart on a semi tractor or trailer, about the worst thing is someone finds a "gator" lying alongside the road, and a truck driver limps into the next tire shop.
If a tire comes apart on your motorhome, it can take out the kitchen cabinets, or even worse. The price of keeping good tires on your motorhome is miniscule compared to the damage a loose tire can do to your rig.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #20

I found this, but I don't know how old it is. I pasted it into Excel for a stare and compare.

http://www.tirepressuremonitor.com/Comparisons.htm

Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #21

I have used the TST system for 6 months and 10,000 miles. Works great. Also had valve extensions put on the RV by the dealer and had to have steel stems put on the toad. Now I don't leave home without it.
Bobschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tire Pressure Monitors & Wheel Balancers

I have had this tire monitoring system (www.tsttruck.com) along with wheel balancers from Centramatic (www.centramatic.com) for about 10,000 miles. I have been very satisfied with both systems. I have the tire monitors on all of my coach tires and all of my toad tires. I wouldn't go anywhere without them now. I can monitor each tire while driving down the hiway..... it gives me a lot of assurance that every tire is ok. The tst system not only monitors the tire pressure but also the tire temperature. The Centramatic wheel balancers do one thing that none of the other systems do..... it balances not only the tire but the whole wheel assembly which I think saves wear and tear. It also causes the tire to run a little cooler. The Centramatic balancers are a little pricey but you can move them from coach to coach so the overall cost is fairly inexpensive. Check out these two systems. I did a lot of research and I couldn't find anything better.

Good luck!

Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #23

I'm pretty much sold on a TST setup, but I have found that the louder a person yells about their product and anything else, the less they are telling the truth. Their add yells a lot; TMI, but I like the size of the display and the features and your's and other's recommendations.

Before I order, I'm going to wait for others to chime in, compare brands, and/or see if I can find a better price.

As far as Centramatic, it's more than I want to pay for the first time I buy a balancing product.

Thanks, appreciate the input.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have the Hawkshead/Tiretracker Sys. and are pleased over 3 years.
The tire sensors weigh .3 (point 3) ounces!! Not a balance problem.
A TPMS should have batteries YOU can change as needed.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
In my experience, I have found that TPMS systems often cause more problems than they solve. I've not found any truckers or professional buses that use them.
Check your pressure regularly, and check for
higher tire temperatures during stops. Do this by feeling the tires, or
better yet, get a hand held infrared thermometer. A low tire will run hot.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #26

Quote:
"A TPMS should have batteries YOU can change as needed."
Agreed. They make just about everything else so you can change the batteries. Look around you and count them.

With the long life(5-7 years) and lower demand for sensors and display units, they have to find another way to gouge you. The sensors can't cost that much to make.(I sure am getting cynical in my young age)

Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #27

Well, ALL new commercial trucks now have TPMS (federal law) so that solves that one. I have a Pressure Pro system and love it, it just works. Others will likely work as good and some are cheaper. We used to have OTR trucks and used Centramatics on the steer axle and are convinced they work and work well. We did not have good luck with the powders you put in the wheel, they were ALL a mess and a problem. Never tried the beads. All just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pulled the trigger and bought a TPMS. I decided to purchase a TireTraker brand, although there are others that are identical w/other names (eg TireMinder, etc.). This one has a 3 year warranty on the monitor and the sensors, replaceable batteries, and it monitors both temp and pressure. After reading a ton of posts and looking at the most expensive, this appeared to be the best value IF it works as advertised...I'm $400 out with 8 sensors and the hard-wired booster. I did this after driving the motor home and then a mechanic saying this tire sounds flat and sure enough it was - it didn't look flat at all (one of the duallys) so although I could also easily check w/a gage, thought this was a better route to go.
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote