Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Need Battery Wiring Info & Manual

I purchased a 2002 Alfa Seeya Class A motorhome. The original owner is deceased and there are no manuals in the coach.

My problem is two fold. Obviously, I would like to obtain a manual or copy of one for the 2002 model. I have a 2003 model manual but there are some differences.

My coach batteries are getting hot and don't last very long. When I purchased the coach in 2014, I had new batteries put in and now, two years latter, they are fried. My 2003 manual says the coach uses three banks of batteries, two for the main engine, two for the coach and two for the inverter. When the truck service center here in town looked at the batteries, he said he thought they were wired as though there are two banks, one for the engine and one for everything else.

All the batteries are 12 volt. Four for the coach/inverter and two for the engine. The tech. also said that the inverter/charger is operating normal, putting out the normal voltage.

Does anyone have experience with the 2002 Alfa who could shed some light on this???
Bruceea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #2

No experience with alfa but it is generic to rv's. In my opinion I would keep the two separate set up versus the three unless you needed the inverter circuit separated for a certain reason. With both combined you will get more power available with this set up. As far as the batteries getting hot I would look at your inverter, charger set up. We have an upgraded magnum 2812 and it has many settings for charge rate, input amperage etc. What kind of inverter charger do you have? How often do you check the water level in your batteries?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

I have a Xantex 2000 inverter and while I don't know anything about them, the local truck repair shop says is working fine.
I check the water about every three month and they usually need very little if any. However, the last two times I checked them, they needed a lot more. I need tp replace them so I was thinking about using the Optima Dry Cell batteries. They are expensive so I want to make sure they are wired correctly.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Using 12v batteries for everything is pretty unusual. Normally, the only 12v batteries are your engine starting batteries and they are wired in parallel. All the other batteries are 6v since they have more storage capacity. These are wired in a combination of parallel and series so the output of the bank is 12v.

Like others have suggested, I'd go with two banks of batteries - the chassis (or engine) batteries and the house bank which runs everything else. That is the way that current motorhomes and setup and it works well.

If you have someone in your area who is familiar with RV electrical systems, I'd get them to help you get things straightened out.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceea View Post
My coach batteries are getting hot and don't last very long. When I purchased the coach in 2014, I had new batteries put in and now, two years latter, they are fried.
All the batteries are 12 volt. Four for the coach/inverter and two for the engine. The tech said that the inverter/charger is operating normal, putting out the normal voltage.
Bruceea
Regardless if what the tech said...methinks you will find that the adjustable charge settings of your inverter/charger are incorrect for the batteries you have....(either that or the charger is malfunctioning).

Do you have the owner's manual for your Xantex 2000 inverter?
(If not it's available online).

BTW, like your Alfa, my coach has always had 4 12V house batteries & 2 12V chassis batteries.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not tell you what is correct but there is no reason I know of to have two house battery banks, One for Lights, Furnace, Water pump and so on and one for the Inverter. You said it is a 2002.. Now that is a rather good motor home but if your batteries are dying that fast.. I'm suspecting a converter/charger. Or operator error. (in that order)

If there indeed were three banks, Engine, House, Inverter, then somewhere there is a converter separate from the inverter.. Find it. Tell us what it is, if, that is it exists,, Absent that I'd suspect only House and Engine and what is the Inverter please.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
In this link it has info on batteries, inverters/converters and many other thing related to your coach.
In this link you maybe able to find information about your coach by changing the search description of what your looking for.
Enter your coach description in that last link may find stuff related to your coach also.
You may get something like this in search.
Good luck enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #8

I have what's labeled a Converter/Inverter, Xantrex Trace model RZ2012GS.
There is also a Inverter Control, Trace model RC7 and a automatic transfer switch, Mganetek ATS50.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceea View Post
I have what's labeled a Converter/Inverter, Xantrex Trace model RZ2012GS.
There is also a Inverter Control, Trace model RC7 and a automatic transfer switch, Mganetek ATS50.
Here is a link to an old post that might be of help to you if you can email the OP. However, he has not made any posts since 2013. There also is a link to an Alfa group that may have some help for you.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/alfa-...res-81122.html
Here is a link to an Alfa FMCA Chapter.
http://www.alfaseeyas.com/home.html
Yahoo Alfa Groups
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/seeyadp/info
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/alfaseeya/info
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the links Chuck.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #11

Thanks to all of you.
I'm bring this info to the mechanic tomorrow and will work with him to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #12

You need to find the documentation on your charger or charger/inverter. Just google it and you should be able to find it if the company is still in business. Remember, google is your friend.

On my old 2000 Fleetwood Storm gasser, as the rig came from the factory, the charger was NOT a three stage charger (bulk, absorption and float), but only a two stage charger (bulk and absorption). As a result the battery was always in a slow state of charge in the absorption mode, even when fully charged. So it is always gassing and you lose a lot of water when you are gassing. I constantly had to add water every month if I kept the charger on.

I finally bought a little gadget that plugged into the port on the charger that converted it to a four stage charger (bulk, absorption, float and equalize). Worked like a charm and maybe once a year had to add water then.

You want a three stage charger for all your batteries.

As for keeping the engine and house batteries separate: Absolutely
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

In the case of my elderly neighbor I was able to go on line and get a full chassis and service manual for the chassis and a complete wiring diagram... once I had the chassis stuff... I was able to sort out and service the coach as manuals are available for each of the appliances on line.... and the wiring is simple enough to follow the basic's....

Tags
battery, manual, wiring