Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Need Caps Painted

We own a 2003 Travel Supreme DS02 40' Coach. The paint on the front and rear caps is crazing. No deep cracks mostly superficial. I heard this is an issue with TS older models. Anyway, I would like to get the caps painted to match the original colors. The sides are fine. The problem is we live in Albuquerque, NM which is 1500 miles from Precision Paint in Indiana. Anyone know of a reliable shop closer? Arizona, Colorado, Texas are good. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Find a body shop in ABQ that works fiberglass, nothing special about painting a motorhome They can match the paint perfectly
Old 12-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
That is simple auto body paint job, no big deal.

Go local
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #4

I've seen several lately that have sprayed the caps with Rhinoliner. Some black and some color matched. Look great and much cheaper than paint. No more rock chips and easier to clean than paint. Having mine done in April when we get back to Wisconsin.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rhinoliner - Brilliant! Really.
Why hadn't I thought of that. Same problem on my coach front and rear and now starting to progress on the top radius along the sides. My DIY fix on the front and rear with rattle can paint and clearcoat didn't last but about 6 months in sun exposure. The fading, peeling clearcoat isn't that visible from ground level, but I have been concerned about further progression until it IS visible.

Now I am going to visit a couple Rhinoliner and Line-X shops to get some quotes and discuss the pros and cons. Since the transition won't be that noticeable from ground level it is better than repainting since it will remain bulletproof, although I understand these products will fade over time. Still, it will be protected and no more peeling, flaking clearcoat.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I had my Line-X ed this summer. They color matched the paint really close.
It is a matte finish instead of gloss like the paint was. The premium finish is supposed to have UV inhibitors. I think it looks good. The shop did the front rolled over the roof about 18" and around the sides about 6" to the first seam on the side. We had some damage to the fiberglass that needed work also so this was cheaper than repair & paint. The thing I really like is just spray with water to remove bugs. Only problem is ... It's VERY permanent. Make sure before going this route you want to do this. There is no easy (or cheap!) way of going back.
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontcap.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	114631
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for telling about your experience with this mhudson.

I doubt I would want to reverse it. I know it is very permanent and that is what is great about it. Extremely durable. If done right, I would think this might even be a positive selling point when I sell.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemosavvy View Post
We own a 2003 Travel Supreme DS02 40' Coach. The paint on the front and rear caps is crazing. No deep cracks mostly superficial. I heard this is an issue with TS older models. Anyway, I would like to get the caps painted to match the original colors. The sides are fine. The problem is we live in Albuquerque, NM which is 1500 miles from Precision Paint in Indiana. Anyone know of a reliable shop closer? Arizona, Colorado, Texas are good. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
550 miles to Henderson Nevada, Unique RV 702.566.6192, they did some match painting for us +10 on the work and service!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think Ancira in Alvarado is now a Fleetwood repair center. They had a body shop along with a wet bay that they used to find leaks in motor homes.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"mhudson".....I thought you just did the top of the cap. I blew up the picture and see that you did the entire front cap. It came out really nice!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree, that front cap looks great! If I was buying that coach I would think that was a bonus to have the linex / rhino liner sprayed on. On my last class C I had Linex color match and spray the lower cargo doors on both sides. No more rock chips... Th couple who bought it were thrilled with the Linex.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just so you know, crazing, can't be repaired with just paint. That's why several companies went out of business because they couldn't paint over the issue, but had to replace the fiberglass.

I had a crazing issue with one large crack on my Diplomat front cap. The shop that did my repair used a new epoxy primer to prevent the cracks from coming back. The expensive part is they have to sand the paint down to the fiberglass and then spray the epoxy. I sold the coach about two years later and the paint was still holding up, I don't know what has happened since.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint