Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 06:18 AM   #1

Need help finding new motorhome

I am looking for my first motorhome.

I will be using it for vacations and weekending with my family.
Me, my wife a 2 year old daughter and a dog. Probably one more kid coming soon also!

My criteria is as follows, I think...

1. Hydronic heat, Aquahot/Oasis. I would think this would make everything a lot more pleasant, as a Norwegian summer isn't exactly "hot", and I would like spring/fall capabilities as well.
Also, very few campgrounds are suited for large motorhomes, so we probably will have to boondock most of the time.

2. Bunkbeds?

3. Diesel pusher

4. Length under 39.3 feet bumper to bumper as this is the max length for Europe. There is absolutely no way it can measure out longer!

5. Dinette with seatbelts, as traveling sideways is not allowed.

6. Around 100K$.

Any comments and help will be apreciated!
ehenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
A DP at USD100K is going to be at least 10 years old and will be hard to find with hydronic heat. There will be far more propane heat units at that age. Two things to consider are freight to get it to you and availability of repairs.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #3

It seems to me that for your first MH with a family of three and campgrounds not suited for larger RV's, a 30-32' gas coach would be a more reasonable choice. That would be something more enjoyable and easily serviced in a country that is not large coach friendly. I might be way off, but it's difficult to know what is the best option for you in Norway. Good luck and take your time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
4. Length under 39.3 feet bumper to bumper as this is the max length for Europe. There is absolutely no way it can measure out longer!
Are you shopping in the USA? Do you plan to ship it to Europe?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #5

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenrich View Post
I am looking for my first motorhome.

I will be using it for vacations and weekending with my family.
Me, my wife a 2 year old daughter and a dog. Probably one more kid coming soon also!

My criteria is as follows, I think...

1. Hydronic heat, Aquahot/Oasis. I would think this would make everything a lot more pleasant, as a Norwegian summer isn't exactly "hot", and I would like spring/fall capabilities as well.
Also, very few campgrounds are suited for large motorhomes, so we probably will have to boondock most of the time.

2. Bunkbeds?

3. Diesel pusher

5. Dinette with seatbelts, as traveling sideways is not allowed.

6. Around 100K$.

Any comments and help will be apreciated!
Lot of discussion Here - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how...-a-407961.html

Sometimes just nice to read an Older Post - Very Informative.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Are you shopping in the USA? Do you plan to ship it to Europe?
Yes, shopping in the US, and shipping it over. Shipping should be around 3500$.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
I have been reading a lot of old post, hundreds of them!
The thing is, the main advice is to go to shows, and dealers, and find something you like. I don't really have that luxury, as I would probably just fly over and inspect something I was already considering buying.
Also, the length issue and seating is often not taken into consideration in the other posts, as it is a very specific "problem" for me in Europe.
Couple more things that might be Critical - DEF issues if you decide on a deisel.

Servicability - these things need service from the day they are Born till the Day they Die. -

Just a thought that you may cancel the AH and look at Gas - less to go wrong and just focus on something that Winnebego Builds as they will have the best chance at Parts, Just a thought.

So much more to Maintain with the Oasis and Diesel.

Best of Luck,
Old 06-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
A DP at USD100K is going to be at least 10 years old and will be hard to find with hydronic heat. There will be far more propane heat units at that age. Two things to consider are freight to get it to you and availability of repairs.
I know. It might not even be possible to find the combination I am looking for. If I leave out hydronic heat, or the dinette with seatbelts there are plenty of options! I have found some 2010 models from Monaco and Tiffin that still look good. I don't know how much age has to do with durability and cost of owning, but if well maintained and maybe even refurbished, a 2009 might be a good deal?
It all boils down to what is more important on my list, and I don't really have an answer for that yet. I was hoping for some help from you guys!
Freight is around 3500$, and repairs on the chassis and engine is probably not a problem. However all parts for the "house" will need to be bought and shipped. Ebay will probably work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It seems to me that for your first MH with a family of three and campgrounds not suited for larger RV's, a 30-32' gas coach would be a more reasonable choice. That would be something more enjoyable and easily serviced in a country that is not large coach friendly. I might be way off, but it's difficult to know what is the best option for you in Norway. Good luck and take your time.
I know it might not be the most reasonable choice. But it is what I want, I hope. I can`t see myself in a 25 feet eurocamper without slide-outs. And DW actually is agreeing on this!
Hey, I even have a Lincoln Navigator as my daily driver, not very reasonable with 7$/Gallon, and no Lincoln dealers/shops around, but I love it.
With the small campgrounds in mind, I am looking for something that will be good for boondocking without utilities and hook-ups.
I definitely will take my time on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Lot of discussion Here - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how...-a-407961.html

Sometimes just nice to read an Older Post - Very Informative.

Best of Luck,
I have been reading a lot of old post, hundreds of them!
The thing is, the main advice is to go to shows, and dealers, and find something you like. I don't really have that luxury, as I would probably just fly over and inspect something I was already considering buying.
Also, the length issue and seating is often not taken into consideration in the other posts, as it is a very specific "problem" for me in Europe.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Several brands make bunk house models, which would better suited for your living arrangements, small child and dog. We have our adult disabled son and dog with us. He sleeps in the upper bunk and the dog is in the lower bunk (without the mattress). Our Damon, while a basic mh, is reliable and decent.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Couple more things that might be Critical - DEF issues if you decide on a deisel.

Servicability - these things need service from the day they are Born till the Day they Die. -

Just a thought that you may cancel the AH and look at Gas - less to go wrong and just focus on something that Winnebego Builds as they will have the best chance at Parts, Just a thought.

So much more to Maintain with the Oasis and Diesel.

Best of Luck,
I actually called up a few truck repair shops and asked if they would do work on a Cummins engine if needed. The answer was that it was not a problem, as they are a lot simpler and basic then the Euro-engines.
Bus repair shops should be able to do body work. So hopefully this project will not give me nightmares and financial ruin!
I also asked if they personally would dare to import a motorhome without any support, and the two different shop mechanics both said yes they would.

As to gas vs diesel, I want a real truck chassis with airbrakes and air-suspension. I know, it might sound weird, but that`s just the feeling I have! However, I've been wrong before, so I am open for good advice! Also diesel is a lot cheaper than gas here.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
I actually called up a few truck repair shops and asked if they would do work on a Cummins engine if needed. The answer was that it was not a problem, as they are a lot simpler and basic then the Euro-engines.
Bus repair shops should be able to do body work. So hopefully this project will not give me nightmares and financial ruin!
I also asked if they personally would dare to import a motorhome without any support, and the two different shop mechanics both said yes they would.

As to gas vs diesel, I want a real truck chassis with airbrakes and air-suspension. I know, it might sound weird, but that`s just the feeling I have! However, I've been wrong before, so I am open for good advice! Also diesel is a lot cheaper than gas here.
Do a little research on DEF - is an issue to many here in the states - and parts are a problem, even Here.

Many of the repairs are done to the many systems in the Coach - Invertors - Refrigerators - Oasis - Turbo's - Hydralics - Shocks - ............... the list goes on. Think you are doing a good Job of trying to find the right Coach, just there are many things to Consider, and in your price range, it will be older and more prone to issues.

Will continue to follow and will enjoy your search for the right Coach, I understand the European Love of Deisel, just once def was reguired it changed a lot.

https://www.google.com/search?source...iw=875&bih=408

https://motorhomes.com/page/bath-and-a-half-motorhomes

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/about-us

Last note be sure you get the 3000 allison - if the engine is a 340 - they usually will have a smaller transmission, not really the best.

Good Luck, hope this helps,
Old 06-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Do a little research on DEF - is an issue to many here in the states - and parts are a problem, even Here.

Many of the repairs are done to the many systems in the Coach - Invertors - Refrigerators - Oasis - Turbo's - Hydralics - Shocks - ............... the list goes on. Think you are doing a good Job of trying to find the right Coach, just there are many things to Consider, and in your price range, it will be older and more prone to issues.

Will continue to follow and will enjoy your search for the right Coach, I understand the European Love of Deisel, just once def was reguired it changed a lot.

https://www.google.com/search?source...iw=875&bih=408

https://motorhomes.com/page/bath-and-a-half-motorhomes

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/about-us

Last note be sure you get the 3000 allison - if the engine is a 340 - they usually will have a smaller transmission, not really the best.

Good Luck, hope this helps,
Thank you for your detailed replies!
I've actually looked at Berkshire, but it did not have hydronic heat in the 2012 models I was looking at.
But how important is it really? I've read posts with people praising aquahot, and saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. A lot also have serious noise complaints with forced air. If you were to use your MH in say North Dakota or Maine, for a rough climate comparison, would a normal propane furnace be comfortable and easy? Is hot water on demand common on those units? I would really not like a small water heater I think...
Old 06-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed replies!
I've actually looked at Berkshire, but it did not have hydronic heat in the 2012 models I was looking at.
But how important is it really? I've read posts with people praising aquahot, and saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. A lot also have serious noise complaints with forced air. If you were to use your MH in say North Dakota or Maine, for a rough climate comparison, would a normal propane furnace be comfortable and easy? Is hot water on demand common on those units? I would really not like a small water heater I think...
All heaters will make noise - HH just a touch more but in tight quaters (Small CG's) your smell will often be the issue - if not running perfectly they often smell, not to the owner but the Neighbors, if close. I've added a 10 gallon residential Hot Water heater in line so I seldom need mine except for Heat.

If you are using in the winter - it is like sliced Bread, Good - when we had our Coach built it was with the complete Unit Wrapped in Reflective Bubble Wrap just gives me one more level in extreme cold - we spent two winters in Golden, CO where it was 10 days of -17 every night - we were fine - normal propane wil usually handle it to say 5-10 degrees but extreme - not so much and it is Expensive.

Hot water is on demand so that works with HH.

Last do you have or have you had an RV before - hard to make all the right choices on the first try - Took me 50 years.

Hope this helps,

Tags
motor, motorhome, need help