Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Need help - How do I remove this type of exterior screw.

I needed to remove this T style door holder. The bottom screws were the Phillips type that came out using a regular screw driver, but of course any time I do something on my motorhome it can never be that easy. As you can see in the pics the top screws are something I have no idea what they are, or how to remove them. As I was messing with the plate trying to figure it out I noticed it was kind of pulling away from the wall and I just kept wiggling it and it came out. I’m sure that’s not the way it was intended to be removed. Also, there is no threads on them.

My question is does anyone know what these are, and how to remove them without just using brute force to pull them out of the wall? The other part that this latches onto is attached to the door with four of these screws, and I need to remove it as well. I went online and searched, but all the videos and replacement parts I found used regular Phillips screws. I couldn’t find anything with this type of screw, so I’m sitting here scratching my head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	250334Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	250335Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	250338
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

I believe those are pop rivets. should drill the center of them out.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Looks like a pop rivet to me...probably have to drill them out.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

They are called security screws, you can get drivers for them on Amazon or McMaster Carr.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post
They are called security screws, you can get drivers for them on Amazon or McMaster Carr.
Chuck, That's what I thought at 1st until I expanded the picture.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Pop rivets, not screws. You can drill them out or just cut them off with side nippers. You want a drill bit just slightly bigger than the hole in the head of the rivet; the hole shown in the picture on the left. Or take a side nipper and a big strong hand to the back of the rivet near the plate.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
I needed to remove this T style door holder. The bottom screws were the Phillips type that came out using a regular screw driver, but of course any time I do something on my motorhome it can never be that easy. As you can see in the pics the top screws are something I have no idea what they are, or how to remove them. As I was messing with the plate trying to figure it out I noticed it was kind of pulling away from the wall and I just kept wiggling it and it came out. I’m sure that’s not the way it was intended to be removed.

My question is does anyone know what these are, and how to remove them without just using brute force to pull them out of the wall? The other part that this latches onto is attached to the door with four of these screws, and I need to remove it as well. I went online and searched, but all the videos and replacement parts I found used regular Phillips screws. I couldn’t find anything with this type of screw, so I’m sitting here scratching my head.

Attachment 250334Attachment 250335
They are rivets, to remove you will have to drill the head in center out. Then a punch to pop them out.
Maynard78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #8

This should explain it

https://youtu.be/9aoXmzdSf_I
Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #9

Thank you all! This site is fantastic. Six replies within just a few minutes.

I’m going to grab my drill and go to work.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason they’d use pop rivets instead of regular screws?
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason they’d use pop rivets instead of regular screws?
Rivets are strong, probably previous owner had issues with screws ripping out.
Maynard78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are stronger than screws especially when used with thinner metal.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

There are MANY types of rivets, and not all of them are standard 'pop' rivets. These don't look like the kind you'll get at Ace Hardware - more of a structural rivet. Or, at the least, a type of rivet that doesn't have an exposed hole where water can get it. If you use the wrong type of rivet it can lead to a pathway for water to get into an interior space where it doesn't belong.

Rivets might have been used in this situation instead of screws because the material was too thin for a screw to get a proper grip. The rivet is essentially pinching the sheet metal (or whatever) between the hardware and the back of the rivet.

If you were able to pull the rivets out like that, there is little chance that a new rivet will hold unless you put a backing washer on it.

There is lots of good information online about the various types of rivets out there.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:

Because you can work a pop riveter while holding your own beer.

Seriously, the hardware was broken or jimmied free of the wall at some time in the past, pulling the screws out and hogging out the holes. Rather than installing threaded inserts and using screws again, the repair guy resized the damaged holes to pop rivet specs. Probably with a big nail.

Those are aluminum. If you have an angle grinder you can knock them flat in a couple of seconds with either a cut off wheel or a 120# flapper wheel. A Dremel would get it too. Then knock the remainder through with a small drift. The problem with using a drill is that the pin in the center is harder than the rest of the rivet. Unless you've got a good drill press with a good clamping vise, you're likely to have the drill bit wander off center and damage the flange part to where you'll need the grinder anyway.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #14

Good observation.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, scr