Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Need help with my BATTERY ISOLATOR RELAY "Big Boy"

Does anyone know some facts about the Battery Isolator Relay or Big Boy on a 06 HR Navigator 45PDQ? What does it do? And, when do I know if it is going out? ANY info would be helpful.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Check this link out for the Bird, it charges all your batteries' both chassis and house.
When your shore line is plugged in will charge the house batteries first than you chassis.
When your driving it the opposite chassis first than the house., by your alternator.
This link has newer set-up.
Link for parts.
In my signature below are links that may help with other things in your coach.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

Thanks "007",

The BIRD and the Big Boy are different parts but probably do the same thing. I found a Big Boy on the "Link For Parts".
My problem is this: My chassis battery doesn't seem to be charging when plugged in to shore power. After about 2 weeks of sitting the engine and generator crank very slowly, telling me that it's low. Both large 12v chassis batteries are 2012, so very new. The chassis batteries are charging when driving because no problem restarting the engine or generator.
I am hoping that someone with a 05-07 Monaco or HR has more info on the BIG BOY 77-90006-120 / 29113
Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi niceguy9605,
Consider posting this question in the Monaco Owners Forum here on iRV2. The forum is at Monaco Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums Owners Of HR coaches with your system hang out there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Niceguy, your big boy should be located in the rear run box located on the curb side.. I just replaced mine for the opposite reason, wouldn't charge the house batteries when the truck was running. I bought mine on eBay new for $169. It is common for them to fail especially when you notice how warm they get when working. Easy to replace, just remember to unplug electric and disconnect both batteries via the battery shut offs and you're good to go. Hope this helps. Randy
Old 11-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Does anyone know some facts about the Battery Isolator Relay or Big Boy on a 06 HR Navigator 45PDQ? What does it do? And, when do I know if it is going out? ANY info would be helpful.

This write up was done by the owner of an '04 Executive so should be correct for your coach:

Your coach has the same BB system as mine. The Big Boy Relay is controlled by Bird Relay which is located in the RRB. It is located on the right side and is the third circuit board from the top. There is a Green LED-(ISO Relay On)-third from the top on the board that should be Illuminated and the Big Boy Relay should have a low humm and be hot to touch when working properly.

When you disconnect from shore power and the generator is not running, the Green LED should be out. The Big Boy Relay will drop out of the circuit when the dc voltage drops to 12.5 to 12.8 vdc when measured at the Battery side of the Big Boy Relay.

When connected to shore power or when the generator is running you should have power to the #2 pin on the eight pin connector on the right side of the board. The #1 pin is ground and the #3 pin is powered on when you turn on the Ignition Switch. Pin #4 is from the battery boost circuit, Pin #5 is the Domestic power circuit. Pins #6 & #7 are blank. Pin #8 is a ground circuit.

The six pin connector on the top of the board powers up the relays. The left pin is Pin #1 and is ground, Pin #2 powers up the Big Boy Relay, Pins #3-4-5-6 power up the two Domestic Relays to the right of the Big Boy Relay. When working properly you should measure about + or - 4.6vdc on Pin #1 when the Board is powered up and the Big Boy Relay is working.

If the BB is powered up and running correctly, you should have around 4.5 to 4.8 vdc on pin 1 of the 6 pin connector. You should also have that same voltage on pins 1, 4, 5 & 8 on the 8 pin connector.

On the BB Solenoid you should be seeing 12.8+ vdc on the chassis side battery post-(left side) and 13.0+ vdc on the house battery side post-(right side). A differential of .3 to .6 vdc between these two posts is normal.

If your Inverter is set up correctly and the Bird relay is working-(green light on) the Inverter through the BIRD Relay and the BB will charge the Coach Batteries first and then the Chassis batteries and when all the Batteries are fully charged the Inverter will go into float charge. When plugged into Shore Power or with the Genset running the Green LED will be Lit on the BIRD Relay Circuit Board, If not I would venture to guess that the circuit board is failing or has failed. The relay above the eight pin connector on the BIRD circuit board controls the Big Boy Relay, it could be failing.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

Thank you all for the great info. Now to find one and replace it! GREAT FORUM!!

Tags
battery, need help