RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

Need Help with Safe-T-Plus Steering Install

I installed the Safe T Plus as to the manual and watching on Youtube but the shock would not return to center after turning right, it would hold to the right until I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left even though I had it centered to go straight down the road so I move the shock back to the hole closes to the steering rod even though instructions said to mount on other hole and the shock wont return back to center turning left or right now, it will keep the steering to the right or left after turning, it seems as if the shock is binding up inside the shock not sure, its also not hitting anything under the rv.

Has anyone else had issue with this, yes I do know my way around a tool box and have done many successful upgrades to my F53 chassis over the years without issues but this has me stumped.

And yes I understand how to center it but that is not the issue it wont return to center either left or right unless I turn the steering wheel all the other way to unbind it, did I get a bad shock or am I doing something wrong.

jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

Sounds like a bad shock, if you turn wheel as far as it goes to left or right and shock is not hitting anything it sounds like you got a bad one.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #3

I agree, sounds like a defective shock. Can you take it off your motorhome and try compressing it to see if it sticks when not installed? This may be hard to do given the force required.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Why not call the manufacturer and ask them? They have a vested interest in the performance of their product, they'll probably give you some qualified advice.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

I am removing shock tomorrow and see if it sticks as to calling manufacture I will this coming week I suspect I wont get thru over the weekend.

I do suspect I got a bad shock and I hope I can get another without any issues, $500 for the shock is a lot of money for something that does not work correctly..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:29 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds to me like a bad shock also.
Also, all the YouTube videos and even the Safe-T-Plus' own instructions that I've seen are in the wrong order:
Before I installed mine, I got on a level road and marked the steering wheel location. Then before attaching to the tie rod, I had my wife hold the steering wheel in that location. Worked out the first time with no adjustments needed.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Sounds to me like a bad shock also.
Also, all the YouTube videos and even the Safe-T-Plus' own instructions that I've seen are in the wrong order:
Before I installed mine, I got on a level road and marked the steering wheel location. Then before attaching to the tie rod, I had my wife hold the steering wheel in that location. Worked out the first time with no adjustments needed.
When I installed one on our old F53, I did essentially the same thing. Level parking lot. I did have to make a minor adjustment after the initial install to get it tracking correctly .
Old 10-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #8

Check to see if the shock shaft is bent.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Jack the front tires off the ground... does it still not center the steering wheel?

Tags
install, need help, steering