Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #1

Need help with trickle charging new batteries

So…I have a 2004 winny Siteseer 30b.

I have two of the big deep cycle batteries that are chained together with the regular car battery.

Is there a way to put these on a trickle charger or maintainer of some type so that I can make those deep cycle batteries last a long time? I just bought the deep cycle ones and I want to make them last.

Right how I just convert my 30 amp plug down on the rv to a 120 and plug it into a standard wall outlet…but I’m sure that over time this is overcharging the batteries.

Any help out there on a simple way to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCB26B23-1F29-4568-80FB-ACCD7B8C4F60.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	365363  
Nickvga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #2

Yes, you could use a smart charger/maintainer.

You could also use your "not so smart" converter to maintain them. Just plug it into a HD timer and set it to run an hour a day.

If experience monitoring occasionally with a digital voltmeter showed that is not enough (would really surprise me), you could run it for longer each day.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #3

Okay…so just charge for an hour or so a day with that standard wall plug but on a timer to shut off the electricity after an hour.

Easy enough.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #4

Ours has the same battery set up. Unless you or someone else purposely hooked them together, the chassis battery isn't "chained" to the deep cycles when the rig is parked.

My older built in converter/charger will over charge the deep cycles if I leave it plugged in while in storage. My remedy was to add a timer to energize the coach once a week. I set it for 12 hours which has worked great for my situation. The built in takes care of the deep cycles but it does not charge the chassis battery. For it, I use a stand alone charger that comes on when the coach is energized by the timer.

I check water level routinely and can only remember one time that I topped off in the 7 years the batteries have been installed.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Ours has the same battery set up. Unless you or someone else purposely hooked them together, the chassis battery isn't "chained" to the deep cycles when the rig is parked.

My older built in converter/charger will over charge the deep cycles if I leave it plugged in while in storage. My remedy was to add a timer to energize the coach once a week. I set it for 12 hours which has worked great for my situation. The built in takes care of the deep cycles but it does not charge the chassis battery. For it, I use a stand alone charger that comes on when the coach is energized by the timer.

I check water level routinely and can only remember one time that I topped off in the 7 years the batteries have been installed.

Do you only connect that charger to the deep cycles themselves? Like with the little clips to positive and negative terminals on the deep cycles only? Or can I just use the wall plug with a timer and the main 30 amp plug I have converted down to a standard 120?
Old 05-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickvga View Post
.... the main 30 amp plug I have converted down to a standard 120?

Just to clarify, both 30 amp RV and 15 amp/"standard 120" are EXACTLY the same voltage. So, everything that will work on one will work on the other.

The only difference is HOW MUCH 120 VAC you can use:

15 amp vs 30 amp.

Both have a single HOT, a NEUTRAL and a GROUND.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #7

There is lots of good advice posted above! It is certainly possible the on-board converter charger would over-charge after a while.

What is the make and model of the converter charger? Some models will baby your batteries. Some won't.

The same is true if you buy a trickle charger or battery maintainer. The best way to know is to measure battery terminal voltage over a period of time.

13.2 volts is the ideal for lead acid storage. Voltage rising above 13.6 or dropping below 12.7 is not good for storage.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Storing Lead Acid Batteries.pdf (101.5 KB, 14 views)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:41 AM   #8

Thanks, I don’t even know where the converter is…

Appreciate the advice though. I’ll look into all the things you suggested.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:

Best to find out where the converter/charger is located. If it fails, as mine did recently, you will need to know.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:

Spend a couple of yours with your RV's owners manual and then a couple of hours crawling all around it!

It is important to know where stuff is and basics of how it works.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Do you only connect that charger to the deep cycles themselves? Like with the little clips to positive and negative terminals on the deep cycles only? Or can I just use the wall plug with a timer and the main 30 amp plug I have converted down to a standard 120?
No,, the motorhome's converter/charger takes care of the deep cycle batteries. The timer is hooked into the shore power cord and energizes the motorhome. I have mine set up to come on every Friday at 2000 hours and then off the next morning at 0800 hours. This 12 hours is plenty of time to bring the batteries up, but at the same time, doesn't overcharge them.

The motorhome charger on our rig does not charge the chassis battery so I use a stand alone fully automatic 2 amp battery charger for it. It's plugged into one of the motorhome's outlets so only powers up when the timer energizes the motorhome. I just went out and checked this morning before the timer shut things down and as usual, the indicator showing full charge was lit.

For my convenience, I have a night light hanging in the window that shows when the timer is on. Can see it from my back porch so there is no guessing when the motorhome is powered up.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I leave my batt disconnect switches off while in storage. The batteries are fine after 60 days when I return. They never get charged while being stored. I get between 5 and 6 years out of a set. The chassis battery is the same - no charging. It gets charged while I'm camping with a Trickle Start that's connected from the house to the chassis batteries.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:00 AM   #13

We have a 2000 Fleetwood Tioga that had the same charging profile as yours.

We upgraded to a Progressive Dynamics 4-stage Smart Converter/ Charger . I also added a Magnum Battery Combiner .

The charging stages go from bulk 14.4v to maintenance 13.2v . I check electrolyte levels in the Spring and Fall . Never add more than an ounce or two .

The Magnum Combiner now charges both the house bank and chassis batteries automatically from both the converter/ charger when plugged in and from the engine alternator when driving .

All batteries always at full charge .

The MH is plugged in 24/7 during storage and never worry about battery charge.

Cost was less than a set of new batteries and was a simple plug and play installation .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, need help