RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Need indash a.c help

Hey everyone im new here. I have a winnebago brave 29a 1999 model with a ford v10 i recently bought it and havent tested the camping yet slowly fixing it to get ready i have 3 items left to do before i can camp out.

Im having trouble with my indash a.c it blows cold while driving but gets hot when stopped while running idle i figured its like a truck with a fan over the condenser but i dont see one could it just be a thermostat or fuse? Has anyone had any issues they can share there knowledge with me?
Lnavarro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You need to find the condenser coil (looks like a small radiator, but will have A/C high pressure hoses and fittings, not radiator hoses and clamps) The condenser might be in front of the radiator or perhaps a separate location in front. It should have an electric fan, powered by a relay in the fuse box. It should come on with the A/C electric clutch.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #3

I would first make sure the refrigerant charge is at the proper pressure. This will be just like adding refrigerant to a Ford truck; or any auto air conditioner shop can do that if you'd rather not DIY.
If you buy a can of refrigerant, and need to add some, get a can with leak sealer and oil included. The better brands also have a gauge and hose included. The hose will only attach to one fitting on the truck, which is on the low pressure hose. Directions are on the can, and when followed exactly make adding refrigerant safe for anyone.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

I would first make sure the refrigerant charge is at the proper pressure. This will be just like adding refrigerant to a Ford truck; or any auto air conditioner shop can do that if you'd rather not DIY.
If you buy a can of refrigerant, and need to add some, get a can with leak sealer and oil included. The better brands also have a gauge and hose included. The hose will only attach to one fitting on the truck, which is on the low pressure hose. Directions are on the can, and when followed exactly make adding refrigerant safe for anyone.
Since it cools while moving, I'd suggest the refrigerant level is probably O.K. The fact that it stops cooling when the RV is stopped points to a lack of heat removal from the condenser because the fan(s) aren't working. I've encountered this same issue a few times, it's always been the fans blowing through the condenser.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-16-2017, 12:52 AM   #5

At idle the rpm isn't high enough to allow the compressor to pump sufficient refrigerant in the system the engine needs to be at around 1500 rpm for proper cooling. Also at idle the condenser may not have enough air moving thru it unless you have a large electric condenser fan in front of it.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My vote is that all posters above are correct in that it is probably low on refrigerant or has a bad fan or the condenser is covered with debris.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
All the above.

Look at the radiators on the passenger side, You may notice an oil film on them. Look directly above the film and you will see the oil fill cap. Oil gets spilled onto the radiators. The oil then collects dust and dirt and plugs up the fins on the radiators.

Get a pressure washer and clean the radiators from both side.

R134 charge

You are probably low on charge, Add a can of R134. Your AC dryer may have a sight glass on top if you know how to use it.

radiator / cooling system plenum

The ford chassis and builders don't seal up the plenums (air supply through the cooling system) like car manufactures do. Airflow through the radiators is very poor, especially when sitting still. I run my dash AC in the recirculate mode. this at least help

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Your AC dryer may have a sight glass on top if you know how to use it
Good point. ALL dryers I have seen recently have a sight glass which is painted over. It is on the top dead center, scratch the paint away with a knife,screwdriver ir whatever you choice is & voila! Sight glass.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
ONE OTHER ITEM -

Most earlier model F53 have a valve in the heater hose thats controlled by the "TEMPERATURE" setting on the control panel. Make sure this valve is closing all the way to stop coolant flow to the heater core.

To test, run the engine until its warm. Turn on the AC full max, full blower, and the coldest setting. Feel the heater hoses where they go into and out of the heat / AC box. The in and out hoses should be the same temperature (kinda warm).

If you can fell a difference in temperature, i.e the hose going in is warm or hot but the hose coming out is a lot cooler, then the water valve is allowing coolant flow through the hoses and your AC is working against the heater.

To absolutely guarantee no coolant is flowing, Go to the local hardware store any buy a 1/2 or 5/8 inch ball valve and two barb connectors that fit the heater hose. Cut the supply heater hose and insert the ball valve.

In the summer, close the ball valve so no coolant can flow. In the fall and winter, open the valve.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #10

The refrigerant is good ive checked that off already. Still blows hot while sitting. As far as a condenser fan i couldnt find one mounted to the front of all the radiators its a SCS system in the black box inside it leaks water like a water fountain
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #11

No ac condensor at all ive looked arround could it be inside the black scs hvac box?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #12

I got it fixed no ac condensor. But i found a rat chewed up the little vacuum line went to autozone 10 bucks its blowing cold now.

1 down 2 to go. Water leak eaither from the potty or rear shower. And a 6x6 hole i put on the outside yesterday with a tree limb
Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear it was something minor.

I notice your running the same year chassis as I have. Here are a few other items you might want to think about:

Replace shocks to improve handling:

Replace Shock Absorbers – 1999 Southwind 35S

Perform CHF will vastly improve handling:

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

Clean the MAF sensor next time you replace the air filter:

Clean MAF Sensor – 1999 Southwind 35S

Your OD button doesn't work:

Clean MAF Sensor – 1999 Southwind 35S

AND, if your transmission starts doing funny shifting in 1st / 2nd:

F53 Transmission shifting weird in 1st and 2nd gear – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnavarro87 View Post
No ac condensor at all ive looked arround could it be inside the black scs hvac box?
All A/C systems, whether whole house, window, dash, or rooftop MUST have a condenser coil. As the evaporator coil collects heat from the inside of the RV, the condenser sheds that heat to the outside. Without the condenser, it can't work. It's either sandwiched in with the radiator and transmission cooler or in a separate location. The condenser will have it's own electric fan(s) or, if in the radiator pack, will be cooled by the radiator fan.

Bob & Donna

Tags
dash