Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

Need seat belts in dinette area

Hi,

Right now, we have two seat belt/shoulder harnesses in the pilot and co-pilot seats. I'm thinking of putting some belts in the dinette area so we can bring a couple people along. Where can I get them? Are shoulder harnesses required or can I just put in lap belts? We're in California.

Thanks for any advice!
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 2 seat belts in the dinette and 3 on the couch. None of them have a shoulder harness and I assume they meet federal requirements.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Hi,

Right now, we have two seat belt/shoulder harnesses in the pilot and co-pilot seats. I'm thinking of putting some belts in the dinette area so we can bring a couple people along. Where can I get them? Are shoulder harnesses required or can I just put in lap belts? We're in California.

Thanks for any advice!
There is a steel frame type thing that goes under the dinette seat that the belts get bolted to. This steel frame bolts through the floor to give it stability and strength to hold back your passenger's weight if you do sudden maneuvers.

I have no idea where you would buy one but if you get your butt onto Vancouver Island I have a complete unit with two seat belts you can have. I took it out of our C class when I made the dinette a three seater.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #4

Go to Parkin Accessories in Indiana, they carry belts of different lengths and very knowledgeable people too. I worked with them for years before retirement.

parkin-acc.com/
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Thanks, guys...I think I have enough info to make progress now. It looks like I will put in two seat belts in the dinette on the forward-facing seats.
Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i bought several sets of seatbelts from amazon. maroon instead of black to match the seating fabric. make sure you get them long enough. in my rv, the bolts just go through the floor and a very large washer is under the floor to spread the load. i even added a belt to the couch.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Thanks, guys...I think I have enough info to make progress now. It looks like I will put in two seat belts in the dinette on the forward-facing seats.
Thanks again!
If you check under the sofa, I believe you will find more belts.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #8

In the aft-facing dinette seats, you don't really need belts, as the seat backs provide more than enough restraint. Unfortunately the safety "nannies" don't recognise this, so yu'll have a tough time getting anyone to approve your installation.

The "nannies" dont recognise that any type of seat belt is better than none at all, so you're basically on your own.

On my rig, the dinette seats are placarded "Not to be occupied when the vehicle is in motion". Having done some work with VIP airplanes and seen what happens to the test dummies in the sideways divans in crash tests, I'd rather be dead than be hurt like that.

The safety nerds have tunnel vision, I'm afraid, but the insurance industry goes along with their idiot opinions.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i will be installing a seat belt for the rear-facing dinette seat next to the outside wall of the rv. the divider between the dinette and the drivers seat will keep a passengers head from snapping back in the event of a front end crash. i will also attach a pillow to the divider. the inboard seat has no divider, so that seat is a no-go.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG
i will be installing a seat belt for the rear-facing dinette seat next to the outside wall of the rv. the divider between the dinette and the drivers seat will keep a passengers head from snapping back in the event of a front end crash. i will also attach a pillow to the divider. the inboard seat has no divider, so that seat is a no-go.
Weight times speed equals crash force!
Simply put, will this divider really take the pressure of a 150-250lb person when you stop? Forward facing lap & shoulder combination seat belts are the only safe way to restrain a person during a crash. Rear facing can be acceptable if the structure will hold the forces generated.

If you're thinking child restraints, the American Academt of Pediatrics recommends rear facing child restraints for those under 2 and less than 40 lbs. Then forward facing belt positioning booster with appropriate harness until the child can truly fit an adult seat. Basically, 4'9" 80lbs and 8 years old
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i would rather see a rear-facing passenger get pushed backwards against a divider (3/4" particle board, supported on top, bottom, and one side) than a front-facing passenger get his(her) face and upper torso smashed on the dinette table (no shoulder harnesses in the rig except up front). and nothing i can do about the sideways couch. :(