Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2022, 09:39 PM   #15

We’ve owned 3 class a motor homes; 36’ gas on f53, 41’ DP on Freightliner chassis- no tag, and currently an ‘07 Holiday Rambler 45’ DP w/tag, custom Roadmaster S semi monocoque chassis w/10 airbags, 10 shocks, and independent front suspension. The Navigator with the Roadmaster wins hands down as the smoothest and quietest riding, driving, handling rig. No comparison. Now having said that, the Navigator cost about 10X of the gasser and 3X of the 41’ DP Freightliner. In this case, you do pay for what you get. With your budget range, you can easily find a great, well maintained, good lower mileage DP like a used Monaco/Holiday Rambler/Beaver or Country Coach w/semi monocoque chassis, pre DEF/DPF, tag, higher HP, etc. rig. It won’t be as new but in my opinion, new is definitely not always better, especially with DPs. I suggest you do some research, look at a bunch, test drive several and come to your own conclusion of what will fit your needs the best. Don’t take my word for it. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2022, 10:30 PM   #16

We were in the same situation as you are. Had a 32SA for 3 months before we sold it for DP. We enjoyed the lifestyle but the ride was too rough. My wife had to wear motion sickness bands. Not bashing gassers but for us it was worth the upgrade, plus we were able to get what we paid for our 32SA. One of the items not mentioned often is braking. I feared approaching yellow lights going 45 MPH. You won’t regret going the DP route for all the reasons all the others posters mentioned. For as much as suspension upgrades will cost, you’ll be close to the price of an entry level diesel.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:22 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A thought from a different irv2.com thread; consider upgrading from your present captains chairs to air-ride seats like in a semi-tractor or commercial bus. There are models with an air compressor built into the seat.
These do make a difference, had them in our biggest fire trucks. But your DW might want to confirm with her doc that it would help her specific condition.

Also thought that if you are running fast, slowing down if you have the room would soften the bumps some?
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #18

From the OP: I do appreciate all your responses as they have been very helpful. This is a real dilemma for us. From your information and advice given we will probably look into getting a DP instead of Liquid Springs on a gasser. We are thinking through the insights provided and are making a list of what we think will be our requirements.
We will need to decide whether to get an older high quality MH or a newer mid level one. When we give your thoughts some further consideration I will post a new thread asking for some more specific advice and direction.
Thanks for your help,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #19

I would suggest that you head to motorhomesoftexas right there in your town. Test ride/drive a couple of the dp rigs there. That should help you decide if those ride better.

They usually have a pretty good selection to look over.
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
We’ve owned 3 class a motor homes; 36’ gas on f53, 41’ DP on Freightliner chassis- no tag, and currently an ‘07 Holiday Rambler 45’ DP w/tag, custom Roadmaster S semi monocoque chassis w/10 airbags, 10 shocks, and independent front suspension. The Navigator with the Roadmaster wins hands down as the smoothest and quietest riding, driving, handling rig. No comparison. Now having said that, the Navigator cost about 10X of the gasser and 3X of the 41’ DP Freightliner. In this case, you do pay for what you get. With your budget range, you can easily find a great, well maintained, good lower mileage DP like a used Monaco/Holiday Rambler/Beaver or Country Coach w/semi monocoque chassis, pre DEF/DPF, tag, higher HP, etc. rig. It won’t be as new but in my opinion, new is definitely not always better, especially with DPs. I suggest you do some research, look at a bunch, test drive several and come to your own conclusion of what will fit your needs the best. Don’t take my word for it. Good luck!

You are right the navigator was a king back then. You would have thought after bankruptcy Rev group would have kept it the same.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
From the OP: I do appreciate all your responses as they have been very helpful. This is a real dilemma for us. From your information and advice given we will probably look into getting a DP instead of Liquid Springs on a gasser. We are thinking through the insights provided and are making a list of what we think will be our requirements.
We will need to decide whether to get an older high quality MH or a newer mid level one. When we give your thoughts some further consideration I will post a new thread asking for some more specific advice and direction.
Thanks for your help,
Some critical information that's missing here are the number of miles on what are presumably your original shocks. In my experience it isn't the springs that dictate ride quality...
Gelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelato View Post
Some critical information that's missing here are the number of miles on what are presumably your original shocks. In my experience it isn't the springs that dictate ride quality...
Sure it is, springs dictate the ride of any sprung suspension. Shocks are to dampen rebound. They can't help with the springs compression.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Sure it is, springs dictate the ride of any sprung suspension. Shocks are to dampen rebound. They can't help with the springs compression.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:30 PM   #24

The air ride seats are a nice option, problem is the rest of the MH gets beat up while you are floating along! I would rather have the entire MH cushioned from the road.

If you (or anyone) love their current gas MH then I believe the Liquid Spring option is a good decision. If you are on the fence about getting a different MH, then step up to a DP with a better suspension.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get a DP, then invest in some Koni shocks. To my knowledge, they are the only shock mfr that specifically tuned their damping curves to the unique characteristics of an air spring (airbag). Airbags need very little compression damping, and Konis accommodate that trait. They really work, don't use just any shock!

Secondly, as others have said, pay close attention to tire pressure. If your rig needs tires, try to find the highest ply rating available, even if it means changing sizes slightly. It sounds counter-intuitive, but what this allows you to do is run LOWER air pressure (follow the tire mfr charts) to soften the ride as much as possible. We did this on our rig, went from an H to a J ply, and went from 120PSI down to 90PSI. Big difference!

With just these two mods, it really transformed the ride on our rig. On a 4,000 mile road trip to Utah and back, we never encountered pavement that gave us a jarring, harsh ride. Except metro Denver, I 70 through Denver was horrendous! I think we we were full stroking on multiple bridge decks through that metro.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
You'll never be riding on a cloud. We have a great riding rig. It's smooth, soft, a real pleasure to drive. But a rough road is a rough road. We see them often. About a third of the roads we travel, interstate, local road, whatever, is rough enough to cause shock and vibration. It's just the state of the country's roads. No rig, suspension, air bags, magic carpet, will smooth out a rough road. No matter what you get, harsh bumps are harsh bumps and you'll feel them no matter what. We have found that bigger tires will roll over a whole lot of grief, but nothing we've ever ridden in will take all the bumps out of a road. I would suggest you spend time testing a lot of different rigs to find one that works for you. Good luck.
This is well said. Long wheel base and tag axel helps. Proper Tire air pressure and shocks that are not shot is about all you can do after buying a tag coach but you need to go to a rig that will be 38' or longer for a tag. 40' minimum in most cases. I have driven a fairly soft riding none tag shorter DP but it was like driving a drunk wale down the road.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:43 PM   #27

for smoother rides, I concur on the older dutch star with air suspension IFS. I also renewed my NEW front bilsteins shocks for the ones on the heavier IFS to cure excessive rebound. pillow soft is one thing but then too soft can become dangerous on very rugged surfaces like paving ops area.
roughest/noisiest ride is going to come with leaf spring suspensions front and/or back.
capt fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #28

Try a Winnebago I have a 34 and it rides like its on a cloud .
But a bad road is a Bad road . It is what it is
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome