Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
need some advice

last year we bought a 2001 national islander w/330 cummings.We have used it twice on local trips to learn the systems and get the bugs out.DW has 5 more years before retireing so we plan to only do trips no more than70-100 miles away from home.I do not think we will do more than 1000 miles per year till then.The tires are 10 years old and i want to replace them,but i do not want to spend a lot of money just to watch them date out in my driveway.I just got a price on Hercules Hwy #H902 275/70-22.5 of $2400, any advice?
marc080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #2

I think that is a good plan!
You might consider keeping on of the old ones (best) as a un-mounted spare just in case. Not familiar with this brand but for what you are doing it should work. Let us know how this brand rides! Sorry to say, a few years ago you could of bought a well known brand for about that price!
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with Hercules tires but the price sure sounds good. I would say that if you can get some positive feedback on the tires, go for it.
vanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #4

I think your question is, can you get away with not buying new tires until the DW retires.
How much is your safety worth? 10 years old is on the long end of anyone's age recommendation.
You can blow a tire in 1 mile. It doesn't matter that you are going to drive only 1000 miles, especially since you are driving on borrowed time.

7 years is more like it. At the bear minimum you would need to demount the tires and check for any cracking inside or out. If so, then the for sure need to go.

You know the answer or you wouldn't be asking.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
No,my question is what do you think about using the less expensive tires untill we decide to go for longer trips?
marc080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi marc080,
I do not know the brand you are considering. Google "Hercules tires". You can read all about them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc080 View Post
No,my question is what do you think about using the less expensive tires untill we decide to go for longer trips?
Sorry, my mistake.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Hello
Not familiar with that brand but if you are buying from a reputable dealer I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc080 View Post
last year we bought a 2001 national islander w/330 cummings.We have used it twice on local trips to learn the systems and get the bugs out.DW has 5 more years before retireing so we plan to only do trips no more than70-100 miles away from home.I do not think we will do more than 1000 miles per year till then.The tires are 10 years old and i want to replace them,but i do not want to spend a lot of money just to watch them date out in my driveway.I just got a price on Hercules Hwy #H902 275/70-22.5 of $2400, any advice?
There is no cheap way out. $2400. is expensive, but competitive.Hercules have been around for several years. Replacing the tires is not an option. Seeing them date while sitting in the driveway is a problem. This is why I would always talk someone out of buying a nice big coach until they are ready to retire. At the present time, if you figured your expense of fuel, maintance, insurance taxes, maybe storage, depreciation and deterioration, the figure would be depressing. But its to late now. old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

Hercules tires have been around a long time, they are not a bad tire for the $$. Sorry to say though watching the tires sit and date out is a problem that all of us deal with, most of us will never drive enough miles to wear em out unless you have an alignment issue. You just might as well figure about $500.00 per yr in your operating cost for tires.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote