Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Need some advice - broken windshield

When we bought are RV back in October we left it with the dealer for a week to deal with some minor issues. On pick up we did a quick tour but they were still working on trying to get the driver side map light working. So we went inside to wait for them to finish. A few minutes later our salesman comes in and asks if the windshield was cracked when we were through it twenty minutes ago. Of course it wasn't so after another ten minutes of waiting the sales manager comes buy to inform us that they would be buying us a new windshield. Which gave us all sorts of warm and fuzzies.

Fast forward to a month later and we hadn't heard anything from the dealer. The wife calls to see what the deal was and we find out that they hadn't ordered the glass. Apparently our salesman never made the order. Another month goes by and the glass is in. We take the coach down and leave it with them for a week. Mainly because my wife and I work and they're on winter hours so they're not open after 6pm. So there was a mix up with safelight and finally we get the coach back. When we picked it up the window was still taped along the edges. This is where I made my first mistake. We asked them about the tape and was told to just remove it when we got home. I should have had them remove it before we left the lot. So we get back to the storage lot and peel the tape off to find a huge gap between molding and the body. Not to mention we now notice a chip in the door in front of the engine.

We immediately call the dealership and they say they're going to reach out to Safelight. Finally we hear from Safelight and they inform us that the molding around the window was dry rotted. It doesn't look dry rotted to me. Now we're getting the run around from Safelight.

So my question is this. Should I be dealing with this headache. The windshield was broken at the dealership by the guys working on the coach. Am I wrong in thinking they should be managing this for me? If the trim around the window is dry rotted fine I'll pay to have that replaced but I'm getting tired of the run around. I worried about water intrusion. My wife has been dealing with this and has told them that we'll hold them responsible for any water damage do to the botched install.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

Moulding should have been replaced. Any reputable service would have let you know. Perhaps they did let the Dealer know and they opted for the old to be reinstalled. Check with Safelite first then take the results up with the Dealer
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Moulding should have been replaced. Any reputable service would have let you know. Perhaps they did let the Dealer know and they opted for the old to be reinstalled. Check with Safelite first then take the results up with the Dealer
Safelite says they contacted the dealer but, surprise, they can't remember the name of the person they spoke to. We've asked the dealer to review the paperwork. Even if they reinstalled the old they obviously didn't reinstall it correctly.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Some RV dealerships have notoriously poor service departments. I would get tough. Call the manager and tell him you are returning the motorhome and want your money back. You probalby will not get your money back, but it may get their attention.

You can also call the Safelite national customer service line. They are very serious about their reputation.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Moulding should have been replaced. Any reputable service would have let you know.

Moulding should have been replaced. Any "reputable" service would have "AUTOMATICALLY REPLACED IT as part of the WINDSHIELD install"
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Moulding should have been replaced. Any "reputable" service would have "AUTOMATICALLY REPLACED IT as part of the WINDSHIELD install"
This is what I'm thinking exactly.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #7

Rubber moulding looks dry-rotted to me from the photos you submitted. It should be replaced.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #8

Safelite is saying they told the dealer, but the installer couldn't remember the name of the person they spoke with. NOBODY told us. I asked the dealer, and haven't heard back yet. And if that was the case, that it was dry-rotted, they should have put that on the paperwork, which clearly I haven't seen since I didn't pay for the job.

We wouldn't have had a problem paying to have the mouldings replaced if it was necessary, I can't imagine that would even cost much in the grand scheme of things. Doing it NOW, though? That's going to require uninstalling and reinstalling the glass, and I'm sure as heck not paying for that. On top of that, even if the moulding was dry-rotted, I shouldn't see the huge gaps between the body & the glass that are there, I don't believe the install was done properly, period.

They also put a 2" or so chip in the cowl, damaging the fiberglass (maybe hit it with the ladder while they were working on it).

Now they want someone to come look at it, but they can only come M-F, 8-12 or 1-4. Well, I work from 5:30-4, hubby works from 7-5:30. We can't be available their hours, but we can have it available on Saturdays. They don't think they can do a Saturday. I also don't want a 4-hour "window", I want an /appointment/ because I want someone from the dealer to be here when they do the inspection, and they're not going to sit here for 4 hours waiting for their installer to show up.

When we had it repaired, we had to drive it back to the dealership, Safelite wouldn't do it on a mobile basis at our storage yard, they would only do it at the dealership. Ok, fine. We took it down, and it took Safelite 2 weeks to get it done because the first time they went out the installer went by himself (?????) and didn't have anyone to help him with this enormous piece of glass. So they had to reschedule. Well, now it's fully winterized, full of Stabil, and locked up in an access-controlled storage facility. I'm not driving it all the way back to the dealership for something that should've been done right the first time. I honestly don't care whose "fault" it is, except it's not /ours/. So I don't care how Safelite & the dealer work it out. I just want it fixed.

I don't think that's too much to ask, especially when they damaged my coach and didn't tell anyone.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Rubber moulding looks dry-rotted to me from the photos you submitted. It should be replaced.
Kinda embarrassed to admit I didn't notice the cracking the first time I looked at the pics. I have to admit it does look dry-rotted.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Jack, My opinion- Windshield was damaged by the dealer, the moulding being old was not a problem until it was removed to install the windshield. The dealer should be on the hook to put it back together .....windshield and the moulding.
Is it possible the new windshield is too small?????
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You always replace the molding or gasket when you replace a windshield. Tell them to do it again and do it right.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Jack, My opinion- Windshield was damaged by the dealer, the moulding being old was not a problem until it was removed to install the windshield. The dealer should be on the hook to put it back together .....windshield and the moulding.
Is it possible the new windshield is too small?????
I can't tell if it's to small. But the mouldings fit tight farther up it's only at the corners that it seems not to fit properly.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
I can't tell if it's to small. But the mouldings fit tight farther up it's only at the corners that it seems not to fit properly.
May not be the right windshield. Even with the old gasket being used, I would think it would at least cover the opening it originally came out of?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #14

Im with these guys, they should have replaced the molding.

I think they were going with the cheapest fix. I would understand if the molding was like-new, or hard to get...but I don't think either is the case here
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote