Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Unhappy Need Some Advice (engine died) Class A V10 (Gas)

Hello,

Thank you for reading my post.

Currently I am in a hard way. I came to Ohio to visit family and now my Triton V10 is knocking then shutting off. I have never had any problems with the engine since I bought it 2 years ago. I currently have a 2001 Class A (gas) Rexhall, Aerbus with only 88k miles. I have spoken to a Mechanic and the engine needs to be replaced or fixed with a cost of approximately $11k not including some de-lamination/other minor repairs. The RV books out at $28K and I owe $13.5K.

Is it worth fixing or just cutting my losses and getting a new Class A RV?

BTW, I am on a limited income situation with my VA Disability and SSD.
philayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First of all I would get another opinion. You might be surprised at the difference in mechanics.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #3

Get a second opinion from a different shop and let us know what you find out.

Is there another rig that you have your eyes on?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

Where at in Ohio?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Call the ford motocoach hotline and tell them what you got going on. They will recommend you a vendor. 88k miles shouldn't need a new motor.

Have a CEL? Did you read the code?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #6

I assume when you are saying Knocking, that a connecting rod failed?

And, when you say "shutting off"...do you mean the motor is locked up?

What I am trying to understand is if the engine is mechanically bad or if it's a electrical / sensor / fuel / ignition related.

From your quote...I assume it's the worse ie: the engine is mechanically toast. If that is the case...a scan tool code won't point to a solution.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

I have spoken with a couple different people who work around engines all the time. Somehow, the first time it started to knock (the rod or rods is knocking) I shut the engine off and it would not restart. I had it towed to a shop and when the engine cooled down, it started. We checked the oil and it was very low. We added oil and heard the rod knocking.

We checked for a leak and nothing was found. Everything checked out, but I was surprised that the oil was almost gone.

I am in Dayton, Ohio right now and decided to try driving it to Wright Pat AFB's FAM camp. I was hoping it would make the 6.5 miles, but it died on me in 2 miles. I let the engine cool and was able to get it running. I made it about 1/4 of a mile and it shut off again. Unfortunately, I was going into a turn and lost power. The RV struck a protective wood pylon and stopped in the wooded area at the turn. Minor front end damage, but I needed to get towed again.

I am thankful I broke down in Dayton where I grew up with family still in the area. We are staying here until mid September before heading to Jacksonville Florida for the winter.

My initial intent was to go through the RV during the summer, (replacing seals, delaminating, and other general maintenance). The engine was the last thing I ever thought I would have problems with.

After traveling for the past 2 yrs as a full timer, I really need a diesel pusher to handle the mountains/etc. We have been looking, but was not in a rush until we found the right RV that meets our needs.

I believe there is a fail safe engineered in the RV to shut the engine down to prevent a catastrophe from happening.

This has been my first RV Class A, I have only had experience with travel trailers before. If I was going to do this full time, I knew I needed a Class A RV.

I am only 45 yrs old and still have a lot of life left in me. Meeting and learning from great people is my goal. I earned my freedom and I want to live the best life possible.

The back story, I returned from Iraq in June of 2011 into an employers market. I have a Master's Degree and a good amount of leadership experience I earned over my career. I was told by every organization I applied to that I was over qualified or not a right fit. I didn't care, but some income is better than no income.

I tried to keep an upbeat attitude while slowly seeing everything I had worked for go away to keep my debts covered. The hardest part was seeing the family home have to go in a short sale. Every penny I had invested disappeared (roughly $70k) and the house sold for $50k less than what I paid for it in 2009. I tried to get help from Bank of America, but after one delay (the paperwork shuffle on their end) after another, (because I was a VA loan) they knew they were covered.

My daughters were in High School at the time and I was stressed out. I decided to focus my energy on catching up and being there for my girls. I made sure they had what they needed and the materialistic stuff started to be sold off to make ends meet. The money I have saved lasted about 1 yr before the impact started to be desperate.

I felt like a total failure, because everything I had worked for and gave up my time in order to provide the best lifestyle I could.

My girls made me realize that none of it mattered as long as we had each other. I took advantage of being home and giving my time to my daughter's lives. I didn't understand how much I sacrificed serving my country. God or the universe was speaking to me that my family's time is the most important part of life. Personally I had come from nothing and I have the capability to rebuild into something better. Anyone in the service has done this on every deployment you are sent.

God or the universe wanted me to gain empathy and humanity to balance my life. I need to become the balanced person I needed to be. Ever since I finally have come to that realization, my life has been spectacular. I am not alone in this world and the "dog-eat-dog" mentality will leave an empty shell of a life.

Sometimes a "Hand-up" is needed. I am in unfamiliar territory and requesting assistance from others. I have always been independent, because if I didn't do it, it would never happen.

Regardless of world events, a mass majority of people are good at heart. We all need to look out for one another, because we never know what someone else is going through. A simple act of kindness goes a long way to let us know we are not alone.

I honestly believe in the concept of, "paying it forward" and giving back for the betterment of humanity.

I apologize if I have shared too much information, but I felt a need to share my backstory.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #8

Until you get a solid diagnosis on the problem it will be hard to formulate a plan of resolution. The "needs a new engine" diagnosis is one that is often thrown out by mechanics who know something bad is wrong but don't have the skills to determine what exactly is wrong. Another opinion would go a long way toward figuring out your next step.

Hope you made it to the FamCamp and good luck.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #9

Dayton isn't too far from me in Michigan, but not too close either. Sounds like you're safely camped and have some family close by for rides/help?

If it needs a motor, a 2001 variety V10 might be hard to find a decent (low mile, correct 2 valve) used one (the path I'd take, used motor for a used motorhome). A rebuild might be possible too, but being that it was driven after it started making noise, it might take a lot of new expensive parts to do that.

I think you need to check the book value again too. NADA has 35.5' Rexhalls at about $17K low retail. Not that it really matters, you own it, and it's worth about nothing with junk motor, but good to have the right numbers.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

Thank you for the info, this is kind of the reason I have asked. I know it is pretty much worthless without a motor. Just sucks that it happened now.

I may have to cut my losses and try to see what I can get on a trade in. It actually would be good if someone wants a stationary place to live that is built better than a travel trailer.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My FIL's ford v-10 engine sucked the oil completely out of the engine through the smog valve. Strangest thing I've ever seen. Ford dealer said they had never seen this either. FIL just changed the oil and so oil was normal. He was a mechanic. Oil was just sucked directly into the intake manifold and burned with the fuel. Crazy stuff. His was $11k at the ford dealer for a brand new engine long block.

My current fleetwood pace arrow has a coolant leak in the intake manifold or head gasket so that is where I will begin next winter. I suspect the intake manifold because it doesn't overheat but varries in idle speed. Coolant in the oil pan. So, fords are not as cast iron as they like to make is sound in their comercials. I paid $6k for a 35 footer with 77k miles. the nada (north american dealers assoc.) books and other such foolish books are what the dealers think they can get for their used vehicles. Not what they sell for. Don't believe them. I bought mine for an AirBnB project that the wife and I wanted to try next to our house here on the ranch. Then engine is just entertainment for me next winter.....

If I were you, I'd look for a 20 year old class A coach about 26 to 28 foot. Go through and rebuild it. Sounds like you know what to look for now. No roof damage, no delams, and good engine. Most everything else is pretty repairable. In my opinion you would be lucky to get $7 to $9k out of it. Sorry, I'm sure you don't want to hear this. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #12

Lonfu, you explanation is very helpful and very plausible.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #13

The rv salvage yard in KY told me just this past Friday they have probably 30, 2 valve V10's on the shelf... they ship all over... might be worth looking into... I think the used V10 motorhome engines sell for 2,800.00... they might even go lower than that on an older 2 valve engine... visone rv

Or a jasper remanufactured engine... they have a warranty... I think around $3,000 also...
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockin View Post
The rv salvage yard in KY told me just this past Friday they have probably 30, 2 valve V10's on the shelf... they ship all over... might be worth looking into... I think the used V10 motorhome engines sell for 2,800.00... they might even go lower than that on an older 2 valve engine... visone rv

Or a jasper remanufactured engine... they have a warranty... I think around $3,000 also...
Pretty much this--these engines are quite common and you should be able to get either a used one, or even a re-manufactured and be on the road for a lot less than you're being quoted right now.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a, engine, gas, v10