Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

Need some electrical help!

So there I was, in the finishing stages of my Airdog install. I actually thought to myself that this is going really well - big mistake! All the plumbing finished, I turned to the wiring. In search of a 12V accessory line, I came across the wire you see pictured. It's labelled SP189 BCC IGN PWR. I tested it, and it has key switched 12V, so I tap into it for the relay. Connect it all up, and the pump won't run! I test again, and this BCC line no longer has any power. Must've blown a fuse somewhere! I've tried every fuse I can find, and nothing is blown. Here's the weird thing - when I "hot wire" the BCC wire, the relay clicks in the BCC, but there's still no power to the fuse box above - starter won't engage. I double checked the master switch in the engine compartment - on. I've tested the chassis and coach disconnect relays - both working. Chassis batteries show 12.3 volts. Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210118_113130637.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	314935  
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

Brody,

Hope you have found what you are looking for.

Not sure if you have it but I found the owners manual here:
https://www.americancoach.com/owners.../owner-manuals

PDF was to large to post. But it had info on electrical. And something about an Auxilary start?

Ensure batteries are charged and good luck, let us know what you find out,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #3

Thanks, Greg, for the link to manuals. Unfortunately, there's no mention of schematics for the chassis 12V system in there.

Let me expound a little bit on the issue I'm having, as I wasn't super clear in my original post.

I currently have no power in this fuse box:

It is right above the Battery Control Center, and just behind the battery bank in the electrical compartment. At first, I suspected the Battery Control Center (BCC), as that was the wire that I originally disturbed by tapping into for a 12V accessory trigger for the Airdog pump, and I lost 12V on it. I have tested all the fuses in the BCC, and the output of the latching relays and it all seems to be well there... except for the missing power to the F8 IGN signal (the wire I tapped into). When I apply +12V to this F8 circuit, a relay clicks in the BCC, but no change to fuse panel above.

Interesting that the label in the BCC says '97 American Eagle, but mine is a '99 American Dream, so it might have been replaced once already?

I've also tested the main fuses on the wall next to the battery, and they both are passing current:

As I mentioned earlier, there is power to all the circuits at the fuse box behind the dash, but the Allison panel isn't lighting up. Generator starts and runs, although I think that starter runs off the house batteries.

Is there another place I can look for a blown fuse or circuit breaker? Something has to be keeping the current out of that fuse box...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210119_093642795_HDR.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	315069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210119_094309593_HDR.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	315074  

Name:	IMG_20210119_093709478_HDR.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	315075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210119_093654568.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	315077  

Name:	IMG_20210119_093649487.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	315078  
Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #4

I can’t help on your lost power to BCC issue; however, I can say that I just installed AirDog and the easiest reliable IGN on was to tie into the engine emergency shutdown switch wire - typically in the engine room which may be very close to where you have the AirDog. I tied into the side of the switch that goes cold when the emergency switch is activated- that way the fuel pump is also shut off in emergency

Best of luck with the BCC - I’m sure you’ll fine the fix

Dave
JDaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #5

Looking at the photo of the "dead" box, there is a 70 amp fuse at the bottom by your thumb. Could that be the main input for the entire box? Have you removed that fuse and tested its continuity?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #6

Brody,

I would try and trace back the power feed to that panel see is there are any numbers on the wire that feeds it and trace back to where you find power. This is if you cannot not find where to trace forward from the battery.
Can you identify where the clicking is coming from? may be a solenoid
And not to be insulting..the key is on?

On a side note found this thread on a 1997 american dream quite large but maybe for future use?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/pro...am-174380.html

Keep us posted. someone will chime in with an answer or you will have an aha moment
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Looking at the photo of the "dead" box, there is a 70 amp fuse at the bottom by your thumb. Could that be the main input for the entire box? Have you removed that fuse and tested its continuity?

What Ljwt330 said, every modern fuse box or sub box should have a main fuse to protect it from the stupid stuff we do (not saying what you did was stupid :-) ), this is the first place I would look and start to troubleshoot. Also on the left it looks like a cover to a main fuse or connection, I would look there as well.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaveB View Post
I can’t help on your lost power to BCC issue; however, I can say that I just installed AirDog and the easiest reliable IGN on was to tie into the engine emergency shutdown switch wire - typically in the engine room which may be very close to where you have the AirDog. I tied into the side of the switch that goes cold when the emergency switch is activated- that way the fuel pump is also shut off in emergency

Best of luck with the BCC - I’m sure you’ll fine the fix

Dave
Thanks, Dave. This is strange - (and may be part of my problem) but the engine shutoff switch in the engine bay has constant power with key on or off... I actually checked that when searching for acc 12V, and just rechecked now to be sure. Again, not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Thanks for this suggestion. Just pulled that 70 AMP fuse and verified continuity. Unfortunately, there's no juice behind that fuse either!
Old 01-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
Brody,

I would try and trace back the power feed to that panel see is there are any numbers on the wire that feeds it and trace back to where you find power. This is if you cannot not find where to trace forward from the battery.
Can you identify where the clicking is coming from? may be a solenoid
And not to be insulting..the key is on?

Keep us posted. someone will chime in with an answer or you will have an aha moment
greg
That will be my next step, to start cutting zip ties and pulling wires out of looms to trace. Ugh!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Have you checked all the fuses in the dash box in front of steering wheel? There's a accessory relay in the dash as well....is the BCC switch light on at the switch by the passenger seat?
... just a few wags...

.....you may not want to power your airdog this way, but I used the power wire going to air dryer heater. It's a constant 12v ingition source. I changed the in box fuse to 20 amps, then put a 10 amp inline fuse on the wire going to air dryer. Working great so far.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemusic View Post
Thanks, Dave. This is strange - (and may be part of my problem) but the engine shutoff switch in the engine bay has constant power with key on or off... I actually checked that when searching for acc 12V, and just rechecked now to be sure. Again, not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not.
On my Eagle, that switch is only a main chassis battery disconnect. It's hot all the time....Not a engine switch...I don't have or ain't never seen a rear start/stop switch on my 99 model.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #13

What about these? What function do they serve?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210119_152523096.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	315199
Old 01-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #14

Oh good... Then mine is working properly then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
On my Eagle, that switch is only a main chassis battery disconnect. It's hot all the time....Not a engine switch...I don't have or ain't never seen a rear start/stop switch on my 99 model.

Tags
electric, electrical