Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Need some information regarding purchasing a 2008 Monaco Camelot or 2003 TS Select

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing our first MH. We currently have a Lux 5th wheel which we are trading. We have finaaly narrowed down to three:
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40
2008 Monaco Camelot 42
2003 TS Select 45
I personally like the TS floor plan is great but want to make a good choice on handling and the ride ect. Any info would be helpful at this point.
Thanks
mlegue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The one that has the best interior layout that you both like should be your choice. Any of the three would be good. The Tiffin is the only one that the factory is still there to support though. But parts and service are available for all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Three excellent choices. I would lean toward the TS or Camelot myself, and if the TS size and floor plan is what best suits you, that would be the choice. The TS is an orphan (no factory anywhere), but that is not a real issue with motorhomes because chassis is a standard one, as are all the appliances and systems. You might only have a problem if you needed a replacement front cap or other major body part.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
All very nice motor homes. There are some differences in bluebook values.
NADA base retail:
2006 40’ Allegro Bus, $151,540
2008 42’ Camelot, $209,900
2003 45’ Travel Supreme 45, $146,430

The Camelot and the Travel Supreme both have a tag axle which will greatly improve road manners. The 40’ Allegro bus does not have a tag, (but a 42’ Allegro bus model does). I would demote the 40’ Allegro for this.
The Allegro Bus and the Camelot have a Cummins 8.9L ISL 400hp engine. This is a great engine, but some ISL’s have had wrist pin issues which can result in catastrophic engine destruction. If these coaches were in that group, you would expect that it had been fixed by now or not affected. The Travel Supreme has a larger Cummins ISM 500hp engine. This is a very good motor home power plant as it has one of the power highest outputs for its weight. If you plan on towing a trailer or travel through mountainous areas, the ISM would be a big advantage. When a coach is equipped with the larger ISM engine it also has the larger Allison 4000 series transmission as well as larger cooling and axles.
The big tie breaker would be the floor plan. How many slide outs does each have? A three or four slide coach has a large advantage in living room spaceover a two slide coach.
Another option is Aqua Hot system. This is a very nice feature in cold weather as it gives you unlimited hot water as well as heat from 150 gal of diesel fuel. Do all these coaches have an Aqua Hot system?
A related feature is air conditioners. The larger 42-45’ coaches usually come with three A/C or heat pumps. This is a big advantage if you live in a warm climate.
Finally, what is the mileage and condition of each coach? NADA bluebook says to not include mileage when assigning a bluebook value to a diesel coach, but I guarantee you a dealer will greatly discount a coach you are trading in that has high mileage.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I suspect the TS and the Camelot have Aqua Hot and Air leveling. The Aqua Hot is a $12,000 option at list price and cannot be added later. We really enjoy the air leveling.

But....floor plan and type of use (regarding length) should be the deciding factors.

If we were to decide on a 45' to replace our 38', we would have to obtain a different class driver's license, and a different storage location.

Also, we would not be able to service or prepare the rig at home prior to trips, which we can do now.

Finding places to overnite, could also be a challenge with the longer rigs.

You have picked some great alternatives. Have fun.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

Gary made a comment that only one had a factory for support. This is not true. The Monaco factory is ere in Oregon and Indiana. There is also a repair center in Florida that was part of the factory and now privately owned that can provide factory type support.

Good luck on your search. I really like e Monaco. Great chassis..

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
I really like e Monaco. Great chassis..

Steve
Worth saying again. Monaco's roadmaster chassis is both unique and the best in the industry.
(note I'm no expert, though I am biased because I own one)
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the the TS has the floorplan you like that should be the choice. The heavies as their called with the tags will give you the best handling charecteristics and carrying capacity for sure. Good luck with your decision.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
hi there, just an add on to all the other good advice, I also think the floor plan is the most important factor, however the tiffin with the shorter wheel base probably wont 'stick' to the road as well, but If maintenence costs and budget matter a slightly simpler chassis may be the way to go... the more bells and whistles the more the chance something might eventually cost you to repair.(ie more air bags and valves,computerized leveling systems,tires and brakes on a tag axle, possibly larger sumps for oil trans fluid ect.and every other computerized or sensored option available).Just something to think about with larger machines, however these may be a non issue for some people looking in this price range.