RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #1

Need some outlet help

Iím having to stay in a lot of places that I canít run the generator and only have a standard wall outlet to plug into. I need some options. I know one option is the dryer plug which can sometimes be done.
Is there any way to safely run off two separate wall plugs?
Any other ideas.
Thanks

Superrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superrv View Post
Iím having to stay in a lot of places that I canít run the generator and only have a standard wall outlet to plug into. I need some options. I know one option is the dryer plug which can sometimes be done.

Any other ideas.

Thanks

If you want to blow it up plug into dryer plug. Most dryers are a three prong 220 a Rv 3 prong is 110.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #3

Rooster is correct, but his warning doesn't mean that an electrician couldn't make a quick adapter to go from a dryer plug to an rv plug.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
X2, most 30 amp dryer plugs are 240 volt. Newer plugs are 4 prong by code. Older ones are 3 prong. I doubt an older plug could even be rewired since they probably didn't run a 3 wire W/ground.

Not really an easy way to rewire your distribution panel to accommodate 2 cords.

But you might be able to rewire one of your AC units by installing an outlet and adding a pigtail to the AC unit. Then just run an extension cord in through a window and plug the AC unit into it. That way you can run that AC unit independent of the rest of the coach. I can do this with my coach, PO did it and is a worthwhile mod.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

Also Iím actually 50 amp. I really just want to run one ac unit and the fridge. I read somewhere that I could use two seperate 15 amps and connect via cheater box using the following adapters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB488AEA-193F-4517-B72E-C854FCADE6E8.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	288325   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDC5D234-492D-4135-8D83-71D060F852C5.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	288326  

Superrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Also Iím actually 50 amp. I really just want to run one ac unit and the fridge. I read somewhere that I could use two seperate 15 amps and connect via cheater box using the following adapters
Bad idea! The adapter shown plugs into a 30 amp 120 volt and another 20 amp 120 volt to power both legs on a 50 amp coach. It is highly unlikely that you have a 120 volt 30 amp outlet at home. Your dryer will be 240 volts.

2014 Newmar Bay Star 3124
2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Bcondrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcondrey View Post
Bad idea! The adapter shown plugs into a 30 amp 120 volt and another 20 amp 120 volt to power both legs on a 50 amp coach. It is highly unlikely that you have a 120 volt 30 amp outlet at home. Your dryer will be 240 volts.

I believe he was suggesting connecting the 30A on the first adapter to the second dogbone 30A to 15A adapter to use two separate 15A circuits to supply the 50A connector on his RV. The way I read it, this was an alternative to the dryer plug. In theory, this could work. However, you have to understand the limitations. The RV doesn't somehow load balance between the two circuits. Certain appliances/outlets are on each circuit. Many times, the second air conditioner is the only thing on one leg (circuit) of the 50A service. For most locations, outlets near each other are typically on the same circuit. For many/most houses, builders like to put ALL outside outlets on the same GFCI circuit. For these adapters to be of any benefit, you would have to be plugged into tow different circuits. It's also worth noting that you want those circuits fed from the same electrical panel. It would be a bad idea for instance to plug into electrical outlets from neighboring houses with such a split adapter. My feeling is the opportunities to use such an adapter would likely be limited.

If the only thing you want to run is one A/C and the refrigerator, you might get by with a single 15A circuit. I believe the A/C draws about 12.5A. Depends on what type of refrigerator you have, but most of them don't draw more than a couple of amps. So you cold use a 50A to 15A dog bone adapter. Just make sure all other appliances are off.

With respect to the dryer plug, It's possible to adapt a 4 wire dryer plug to 50A RV service. I think the opportunities to use it would be somewhat limited, less than convenient, and require lengthy cords in most cases. That's a different discussion though.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of these might work if you have access to post 1996 dryer outlet - https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-EV143.../dp/B00STD8CXC.

The double plug adapter along with the 30 to 15 amp additional adapter might work but only if you plug into two separate circuits. Plus with each adapter, plug, extension cord and such in the line you're adding points along the circuit for potential overheating which never ends well.

Would using the generator with a vertical exhaust extension work? It will help direct most of the generator noise upward. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 06-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #9

Need some outlet help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
X2, most 30 amp dryer plugs are 240 volt. Newer plugs are 4 prong by code. Older ones are 3 prong. I doubt an older plug could even be rewired since they probably didn't run a 3 wire W/ground.

Not really an easy way to rewire your distribution panel to accommodate 2 cords.

But you might be able to rewire one of your AC units by installing an outlet and adding a pigtail to the AC unit. Then just run an extension cord in through a window and plug the AC unit into it. That way you can run that AC unit independent of the rest of the coach. I can do this with my coach, PO did it and is a worthwhile mod.

You can 220 is using black and white hot and ground as ground. 110 volt 30 amp use black hot,white neutral and ground ground. Same three wires and use a single pole 30 amp breaker.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #10

Look at the electric range. If it plugs in, its likely the same plug as your 50 amp RV.

Get someone to build a splitter for that and ask them not to bake and run all of the burners at the same time.

PS: you can run 1 AC and fridge on a single 20 amp circuit. Check the laundry room for a 20 amp washer outlet.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
I’m having to stay in a lot of places that I can’t run the generator and only have a standard wall outlet to plug into. I need some options. I know one option is the dryer plug which can sometimes be done.
Any other ideas.
Thanks
Not really, no. For 50A service and generator, you have two 110V inputs to the transfer switch, one on the red and one on the black. These are separate (opposite) phases. For 30A service, a single phase is split between the two legs so both red and black inputs are same phase. Standard house plug is single phase. Your 30 to 50 amp dogbone just connects it to both the red and black inputs on the transfer switch. I don't think the coach has any 220 Volt appliances, but if they did, they wouldn't run on a 30A circuit.

There's no way to plug the coach into two separate 20 amp house plugs. Well, there is, but you'd really have to know what you're doing and I doubt it would be safe. I'm not familiar with any cheater box that would do that, but that is basically what you would needd: A cheater box that would take your 50A plug and allow you to plug in two extension cords to the house theoretically could get you double the amperage available on a single cord but there'd be a big risk of overloading the circuits since neither leg of the house cords could get near 25 amps.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Look at the electric range. If it plugs in, its likely the same plug as your 50 amp RV.

Get someone to build a splitter for that and ask them not to bake and run all of the burners at the same time.

PS: you can run 1 AC and fridge on a single 20 amp circuit. Check the laundry room for a 20 amp washer outlet.
I use my 50 amp welder outlet in the shop which happens to be the very same as my dryer so yes it works just fine (new style welder outlet with ground before Cavie jumps on me)
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Any other ideas.
Thanks
I have a jumper made up for my 50 amp plug to use at the lake lot where we don't have 50 amp pedestals

One side (cord) goes to one side of the box and vice versa. If you have a typical 50 amp RV which isn't 240v inside you are just fine, it is already separated

Other than remembering you have to limit loading very carefully it works just fine
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
You can 220 is using black and white hot and ground as ground. 110 volt 30 amp use black hot,white neutral and ground ground. Same three wires and use a single pole 30 amp breaker.

Not exactly. Three wire dryer outlet uses two hots as you suggested, but the third wire is a neutral, not a ground, especially when using it as you suggest. This is subtle distinction for a main panel as neutral and ground are connected together in a main panel. However, when using this setup to feed an RV, you will have an imbalance between the two hots meaning you will end up with a potential difference between neutral and ground because the load will never be the same on each phase. You would have NO ground on the RV. I have seen adapters that break out a separate ground wire to be connected to an alternate ground, but I don't believe such arrangements are a particularly good idea.

As with most things, it might work for a specific use case. But no matter how close your friends or family are, they will be annoyed and rightly concerned if you pull up and say hey can I drag this cord through your garage and into your kitchen or laundry room so I can power my air conditioner in your driveway... Maybe if you have a dryer plug in your garage and you want to hook up while loading.

Absent a few specific circumstances, I would expect NO power from sources other than commercial campgrounds. In mooch-docking situations, as people call it, I would be happy to get a single 15A outlet and live with it. As noted, you will likely be able to run 1 A/C, the fridge, and maybe even a TV. If the fridge is an RV model, you can switch it over to propane in the event it becomes an issue. You can switch the A/C off to run microwave, hair dryer, and other high current loads.

Other options to run the A/C aren't bountiful. You can run refrigerator and lighter loads on solar and battery, but A/C just isn't practical.

Can other options be made to work, sure if you know what you are doing, but in that case, why not just pull up and ask to tap into their main panel with your temporary hook up? You could pull the panel cover, pop in a 50A breaker and wire it up. No it wouldn't be legal unless you're a licensed electrician and do it properly, but it wouldn't be much more imposition. If it's your personal site, go for it...