Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Need to change old TV in a Rexhall w/cabinet to flat screen

Does anyone out there have a Rexhall with a floor-mounted TV cabinet on bottom and glass-door cabinet above who has changed the old TV to a newer FLAT SCREEN???? Its not a TV mounted in front of the windshield. Its built into a very nice wood cabinet that also has the DVD player in the cabinet as well. Sitting on top of the TV cabinet is a 2-door etched glass cabinet where we keep our wine and glasses. Below the TV is another cabinet with a door (horizontal to norm) for DVDs, etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Allow me to continue. If we put a flat screen in the existing spot that the old TV is in, there will be more space than we need vertically as the flat screens are wider and shorter than the old CRT TVs. The existing "hole" will limit us to a 26" flat screen. There is really nothing wrong with the old TV but it will not pick up the new digital stations. ANY IDEAS???????
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

We made a drawer that had storage behind the tv with a front that matched the cabinet.

Has ball bearing sliders with southco latches.

Built a flush mount so the TV is tight to the panel.

On ours we built it to allow dvd player below tv, looks factory.

You can search my posts, i think title has "round one" in it, or rear TV in the body, using phone now so cannot paste the link.

Others have done similar, can be DIY if you have access to basic tools.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

I bumped the above thread.

Look on the general discussion forum, general description and photos, a good starting point.

Be sure to share what you do
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
rockrex
Install your flat screen as a drawer front to fit the cabinet. Drawer makes good storage for the bar.
Divad
divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't find anything on the general discussion forum except dash (upper and lower) mounted TVs. Ours is in a cabinet (floor to ceiling) with the TV in the bottom of the cabinet (housing a 26 or 27 in. CRT TV) and the top (attached to the bottom) being a 2-door cabinet (30 in. tall +-) with a shelf. Its like an entertainment center in the living area behind the co-pilot's seat.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be an awfully big drawer if it utilized all the space the old TV is now taking up. I suppose we could put blanks at the top and bottom and a drawer in the middle behind the flat screen.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Barry, If you sign on to the Yahoo Rexhall owners group forum, you can find pictures of a similar ( not the same ) conversion I did for my 2003 Rexair. It may give you a few ideas.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
rockrex, I just did my console mounted crt last year. What I did was I took out old tv, framed the inside so I could mount a wall bracket so when finished the tv fit flush with the trim of the console. I put in a 32" flat screen which fit side to side fine but I had about 4" to fill the gap on the bottom. I found a pre-finished shelve material at local box store that matched the finish of my cabinet. Hope this helps. I had to install a sound bar on top of the cabinet because the speakers are on the back of the tv and the sound was muffled, another $100.
jrchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same cabinet that you do. I removed the old TV and replaced it with a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit the opening. I wrapped the plywood in vinyl for a finished look. I then mounted a tv wall mount to the plywood and installed the flat screen (32").
I will try to take a couple of pics and post them. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
KIX

You've probably already thought about keeping the current TV and adding a digital tuner. I just sold one on Craigslist for $15 It was new and in the box.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a couple of pics of my install. I left some space on each side so that coax, power cables, etc. could come through from behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	254.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	32648   Click image for larger version

Name:	255.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	32649  

Click image for larger version

Name:	256.jpg