Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Need to have my 40'DP transported

I looked online for motorhome transportation services and was completely confused. For various reasons, time, pets etc., I was thinking about having our coach transported from Reno, Nevada to Wichita Falls, Tx. next spring for a couple of months of travel. May or may not drive it back home so the transport may be a round trip thing. Has anyone done this? All our "stuff" would be in the coach. Do all companies hire a driver to transport the coach vs. putting it on a flatbed? Am I nuts even thinking about this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Any idea of costs?
Thanks,
Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklemeist View Post
I looked online for motorhome transportation services and was completely confused. For various reasons, time, pets etc., I was thinking about having our coach transported from Reno, Nevada to Wichita Falls, Tx. next spring for a couple of months of travel. May or may not drive it back home so the transport may be a round trip thing. Has anyone done this? All our "stuff" would be in the coach. Do all companies hire a driver to transport the coach vs. putting it on a flatbed? Am I nuts even thinking about this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Any idea of costs?
Thanks,
Mike
With the right amount of money you can do anything.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

Motorhome transport

Yes, I am sure you are correct. I was looking for advice on how to do it though.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several companies that specialize in doing this, they hire drivers, who get paid by the mile. This is usually delivery of new coaches to dealers. My wife's cousin and now ex-husband did this for a while. We bought a new coach, and had to pick it up and exchange our old one about 250 miles from home. They went with us to do this. I drive the new coach about 100 miles, and let him take it a while. Big lesson, he took the new coach up to 75-80 mph. When I said something about taking it easy on a new drivetrain, he said, don't worry, we drive all the new coaches this way!. I will probably never get another coach, but if I do, it will be a factory pickup for me.
Now, back to your question, think three times before you do it, if you value your coach! If you still want to do it, contact some local dealers to see who they get.
As for getting it hauled, you have an underpass clearance issue. You have a DP that is well over 12' high. (not even sure it could be transported on a lowboy)
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #5

Didn't they used to call this "drive aways"?
I think the lowboy would be the only way to get enough clearance, but then I don't know about length. I'm sure it can be done, but I suspect this will be a bit pricy.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both of my RV's were driven from the factory by independent drivers. I met one of the drivers and talked to him a little while. He was paid by the mile and given an allowance to get back home. I saw another driver and he was towing a car for his return trip.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
In Texarkana next to Greyhound station was a Greyhound coach on a low flat bed. The low boy was a special trailer that fit the coach wheels in wells on trailer. Would have liked to watch the coach getting loaded to see how it was done. Total height was no more then box semi. Don't know if there is an RV transport company that has same.
As for shuttle driver you might contact other RVer's as have known them to pull their toaded when positioning friends rig. Usually due to illness or death.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #8

You can always put it on uShip for bid. It is where you list what it is you want shipped and qualified shippers (you can check the site on their reputation) will bid on the job.

You can either have a qualified person bid on driving it or you can have a company bid on transporting it on a flatbed open transport ...which will be quite a bit more expensive.

For an example, here is a supposedly 42' Gulfstream Tourmaster (click here) currently up for bid on a "drive away" which signifies that the person wants somebody to drive it. Currently the lowest bid is $1,945 for 1,285 miles which is about $1.51 per mile.

The only current example I could find for an "open transport" (flatbed) is for a 35' school bus (click here) where the lowest bid is for $4,977 for 2,214 miles or about $2.25 per mile. However, your motorhome will be much heavier than a school bus so I'd plan on a bit more than $2.25 per mile.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! i had doubts as to the viability of my idea. I wonder who FMCA or Good Sam use to take someone's coach home who had an illness or worse. I can check that out.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #10

There is a current ad in the Rochester, NY Craigslist:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Per Diem Driver (Churchville, NY)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

compensation: $10.00 per hour
part-time

Part -- Time, Per Diem Driver

Located in Churchville, NY, Wilkins RV is currently accepting applications for a Per Diem Driver. We believe talent makes a difference! Join an award winning team offering excellent earning potential along with opportunities for growth, including a leadership team who appreciates your drive, skills and ability. We're looking for someone who can make a difference because we believe an innovative team can accomplish anything!

This is a part-time, as needed (per diem) position.

Responsibilities (including but not limited to):

* Transport of Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Park Models, Pop-ups and Motor Homes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That is where they get their drivers.

I'd be tempted to just advertise for a CDL licensed driver who was interested in doing the trip. Anyone with a CDL for school bus or semi should be able to handle a MH. Get him listed on your insurance and see if your agent can check his license. I think in NY they have access to the state motor vehicle database. No idea where you are.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #11

I am in Reno, Nevada
Mike
Old 07-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #12

Mike, again, if you have the chance, explore the uShip site. As I mentioned, once you post what it is you want to do (if you want somebody to drive it or if you want to put it on a lowboy for open transport), qualified shippers will bid on your job.

You can then check each of the bidder’s qualifications and check their reviews. No matter, they will all have CDLs if bidding for such a job. uShip has minimum qualifications that have to be met so shippers will usually not bid on a job that they are not qualified for. So whether being driven or being put on a lowboy, the shippers will meet all qualifications and, again, you can check beforehand what qualifications and equipment they possess. You have the opportunity to communicate with the shipper before and during the move to ask questions and check on the shipment.

You may get two bids or could get ten bids or more depending on the logistics of the shippers who bid on the job. You can choose whichever bid you like. You do not have to take the lowest bid. Or you do not have to take any of the bids if you choose not to.

If you choose somebody who will drive the motorhome, you can put restrictions on their behavior. You can also tell them that you do not want them using anything in the motorhome, i.e. no sleeping, no cooking, or even no using the bathroom in the motorhome.

As mentioned, some motorhomes will actually clear the 13’ 6” height limit for interstate travel when on a lowboy and some may be too high. Again, this is something you can discuss beforehand with the transporter. Here’s a photo of a tall tour bus on a lowboy.

Personally, I think it would not only be more cost effective to use “drive away” rather than putting it on an open transport, but would also give you more options and I’m sure you’ll get more bids. Again, using uShip, even when choosing the “drive away” option, you should get only CDL drivers bidding on the job.

If we use the per mile charge in the lowest bid for that Gulfstream mentioned in my previous post at $1.51 per mile, Reno to Wichita Falls, TX is approximately 1,525 miles so the total cost one way to drive would be $1.51 x 1,525 which equals $2,303. It may be more or less depending on the bids you get.

This will at least give you a starting point so you can compare other driveway services you can check on your own. Click here for both good and bad general reviews about RV shipping from the uShip site.

Edited: I now see there is an additional bid since yesterday on that Gulfstream at $1,844 (for 1,285 miles) so that brings the cost per mile at $1.435 so for your job, it would bring the cost down to $2,188. Again, additional bids my come in to bring the per mile cost down and for your specific job, the bids may even be lower depending on who bids.

P.S. I'm not trying to advertise uShip but I have used them for various things with good results. And I do enjoy watching the TV show "Shipping Wars" which is based on the uShip bidding process.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Transport Motor home

I own a Monaco DP. I have a CDL license.
I transport new and used motor home for a very Large MH dealer. I have many years accident free experience. I get $0.60 per mile plus expenses. I could move this coach for you either way any time.
Ron D
rdelcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I own a Winnebago DP, and could be available to move your coach. I fly to the coach at my expense to the nearest airport with airline service, then ground transportation (taxi) to the coach from the airport at owners expense, this way I don't have to pull a tow vehicle.
pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote